FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #135 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Paul L
Senior Member
FFCars Craftsman
 
Paul L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 907
Wiring Loom - Part 1:
I brought my wiring loom indoors to make checking/adjusting the wiring a bit easier to do.
This also meant I could chip away at it in the evenings when it was dark outside.
The only down side is that the quality of many of the following indoor photos are pretty poor.



The original Spitfire 1500 had a separate side light & front indicator unit.
However, for my Cordite build, I've got a headlight with a side light built in.
So I took this opportunity to re-route the original wires for these items and the two car horns.

This is the original cable routing before, with the headlight & side light as two separate cable runs.



The next photo is a bit more of a close up before I started unwrapped the wires.
Note: There is a collection of earth wires joined together in a short "siding" of their own.



This was my revised cable route:



Notes:
- The bundles of wires at coming from the top of the photo will start at the bulkhead.
- The wires for the two horns exit to the right and point towards the top of the photo.
- All the other wires feeding the headlights, side lights & indicators run off at the bottom of the photo.

There is more work required on the lighting wires at the bottom, but, for now, I wrapped up the rest.



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I knew that I had already removed all of the Spitfire heater wiring when I thinned out the loom.

Therefore I wasn't sure how hard it would be to add wiring back into the loom for the new heater fan speed switch.

So you can imagine how happy I was when I traced the wiring I needed to use and found this connecting block.



So I went back to my collection of "spare" wires and found the original heater wire just sitting there waiting for me.



This may not be the original Triumph set up, but it made the re-connection a piece of cake.
( There have been very few "easy" jobs on this build, so I'll take the small victories when I can! )



I still need to fit a wider blade connector on the other end, as the new switch is a different size.
But I will do that when I have measured just how long this wire needs to be.



Note:
I've already sorted out the other wire for this fan speed switch which runs from the micro heater itself.
Paul L is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

 

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.