FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #134 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Paul L
FFCars Craftsman

Battery Cut Off Switch:
Here are the two new battery leads:
- One for the battery terminal to the battery cut off switch.
- The other from the battery cut off switch to the original bulkhead earthing point.

It was only when I came to fit them that I noticed I'd made another school boy error.

I'd measured the "ring" end of the original battery cable (bottom right) and made sure the new ones matched.

However, what I should have done, was measure the size of the cut off switch bolts, as they are bigger.

My temporary fix was to open up the "ring" like so, until some new, bigger eyelet fittings arrive.

The next step was to drill two holes in the bulkhead so the leads could be connected to the switch.

Unfortunately, "Amateur Night" continued as I managed to make a hash of this simple task too.

I've actually ended up drilling three holes to avoid a severe bend in one of the leads if I'd used one of the first two I drilled.

The only good news is that I have had plenty of practise welding up holes in this bulkhead.

So this is the route the battery cable will take going into the bulkhead.
( Some new rubber grommets for the holes are also on their way. )

Then the return cable will come back out here and connect to the original Spitfire earthing point.
( Other earth cables will also attached to this point. )

At some point I will drill a few holes in the bulkhead for some pop rivets to hold more zip tie mounts.
Then I can use the zip ties to keep the two cables apart and tuck them neatly out of the way.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.