FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Paul L
Senior Member
FFCars Craftsman
 
Paul L's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 907
Trunk Floor Repair:
The twin silencers/mufflers on my donor car were mounted to the boot/trunk floor here.



Unfortunately my alternative (& rusty) body shell had a big hole where one mount would go.



So it was time to make a repair panel and get it welded into position.
As I am still learning the dark art of welding, I wanted to be safe & not sorry.
In order to achieve this, I wanted to over lap the hole from above.
Which I hoped would support the weight of the muffler hanging down.

I made a cardboard template and found a suitable section of old Spitfire bodywork.



This piece was ideal as it already has an edge that I can use.



It didn't take long with an angle grinder to cut out the repair piece & remove all the old paint.
I also drilled some holes in the trunk floor & cleaned up the metal around the area to be repaired.



After a small bit of trimming and bending, the repair piece was good to go.



I then turned the rear arches upside down & clamped it in place.



After welding all the holes it looked like this...
( Excuse the poor photo, my camera was playing up. )



Then I turned the whole rear arches section over so I could weld the repair piece's edges to the trunk floor.
I managed to burn a few small holes through the floor while welding, but eventually the floor looked like this.



After applying an anti-rust treatment and some paint, the floor looked like this.
( The repair was never going to be seamless, but at least the paint improves the look of it. )



Note:
The gaping rust holes around the base of the wheel arches will be repaired when this section is finally fitted.
The body will be fibre glassed to both the frame work and this rear wheel arches section.
So I intend to simply extent the fibre glass across the gaps.

Next step was to apply a layer of body filler to the underside of the repair to seal the edges.
I didn't want to risk blowing more holes by welding the edge of the trunk floor to the repair piece.
( Which is why I welded through the drilled holes, away from the edges, in the first place. )

Once the filler was set and tidied up I painted the underside too and it now looks like this.



These rear wheel arches are now ready to be fitted to the rolling chassis along with the rear frame work.

Last edited by Paul L; 02-12-2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Replacing PhotoBucket Images
Paul L is offline  
 
 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

 

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.