FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #34 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Paul L
FFCars Craftsman

Modifying Spitfire Rear Arches & Floors - Part 1:
I needed to test fit the rear arches section with the Cordite's rear frame to form a plan.
It has to be threaded thru the frame work so the hand brake panel sit above the frame.

This section needed some minor trimming to slip underneath the gas tank.
Then some major surgery was required at the front to wrap around the framework.

I cut the openings deeper than was necessary just to be on the safe side.

With all the cuts made, it was time to box them back up, so I made some cardboard templates.

I then marked up some sections of old Spitfire wheel arch left in my "scrap" pile.

Which, together with some small sections of new metal, provided me with my first repair panels.

My metal working tools are somewhat limited to say the least, but I could still hammer the metal flat.

Then I cleaned up all the edges in preparation for welding.

( It was only after I had taken this photo that I remembered I needed to weld at an angle across the main sections. )

Those with a sensitive disposition to the horrors of amateur welding should look away now.

I know they are ugly looking, but they are very solid and I am very happy with the result.
Especially as I have never attempted anything like this before and I'll get better with practice.
( Thin metal is definitely harder to weld than the box section I'd been using before. )

To be continued...

Last edited by Paul L; 02-12-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Replacing PhotoBucket Images

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.