FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #28 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Paul L
FFCars Craftsman

Renovating The Gas Tank:
The original Spitfire gas tank is re-used in the Cordite frame.
However, unlike the Spitfire, it takes a bit on manoeuvring to get into position.
This had a knock on impact on my seat belt brackets (see separate post).
The problem was the tank couldn't be fitted with extra brackets on the frame.

This meant I had to fit the gas tank before I sorted out my seat belt brackets.
( It also meant that removing the tank in the future would be a major pain. )

The whole car is a bit rough and ready, so I didn't need a show car finish.
Just some basic preparation to ensure the brushed on paint would stick.
( I'd left the empty tank in the sun every chance I had to remove any vapours. )

Before.

During a very basic sanding down stage.

Applying anti-rust treatment.

This dries to a dark blue / black finish depending on the metal below.

Then I started painting the bottom of the tank.

Using a not so high tech prop to keep it at the correct angle.

Then the top of the tank was painted.

I also put a final coat of paint on the frame work where the tank was to be fitted.

After a second coat of paint on the tank, I bolted it into its final resting place.

I used extra washers on the driver's side to stop the gas tank fouling the frame.
( As obviously the frame work supporting the petrol tank isn't square. )
I even remembered to stick a bit of protective foam into the narrow gap between the two.

With the gas tank in place other work on the frame could continue...

Last edited by Paul L; 02-11-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Replacing PhotoBucket Images

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.