FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Sammio Cordite - Triumph Spitfire 1500 based kit
View Single Post
post #27 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Paul L
FFCars Craftsman

Rear Seat Belt Mounting Brackets - Part 1:
I am going to use a 3 point harness in the car and needed to make my own brackets.
If I was confident in my welding, this would be a very straight forward job.
But I am a welding beginner and so I wanted to build in a significant error tolerance.
In my simple view, the bigger the contact area that I welded the better.

So I wanted to use a part of the Cordite frame that would allow me to run a long line of weld along it.
This lead me to the idea of building a 90 degree bracket at this point.

This would leave me with the seat belt bolt retaining plate around here.

Please Note:
I now know this is far too low to be safe and the final position is much higher.
( Which is one of the great things about posting your build diary on line. )
But for now, I carried on in blissful ignorance...

I set up a workshop picnic area to start cutting the box section to length.

This is what I ended up with, although the edges will be angled to match the frame when welded in...

I'd picked up a bargain ion Ebay that I thought might come in useful during my build.
It is affectionately known in our house as the "Circus Tent".

Unfortunately my wife will not allow me to leave this up permanently as it is too big.
But it was was just too windy to weld outside, so I set up the tent and moved my welding stuff inside.
Mind you, with the wind hitting the sides, I did fear the whole thing might take off on me.

I built the brackets up in stages, making sure all the parts fitted as I went along.

Then I could clamp the final pieces together to continue welding.

Eventually I had both of my some what over-engineered brackets completed.

Due to rain earlier in the day, the washing line was available as an alfresco spray booth.

Everything looked a lot better with a coat of "weldable" etch primer on it.

I also made some cardboard templates matching the shapes of these brackets.

These will be used to mark the angles required where the brackets join the framework.
But there were a few other things to deal with before I could fit these brackets...

Last edited by Paul L; 02-11-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Replacing PhotoBucket Images

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.