PNW painter - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

PNW painter

I think it's time to start looking for a painter. I am not looking for show car quality but I want it very nice obviously.

My plan is to do little to no body fitting and let the professional do it so I am leaning towards finding a shop with FFR and hopefully coupe experience. I am not against taking the car to SoCal if I have to but at this point I am looking for my options.

I also plan on at least one small body mod before paint. Please contact me on PM or here with your painter experiences.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM

I'm in a similar place. I need to fit a few more panels and get it off to paint but there isn't much experience here in our state. I am considering Streetrod Painter since he is a mere 600 miles an change from here. I'm hoping I can be ready by fall since I want to drive it this year.

I'll be curious to hear if you find anything.

Darren

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dyno:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Howard used Street Rod painter back in 09. A mere 600 miles is right. I'll will let you know. I fear I'll be towing to CA northern CA would be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 PM

There's a guy in Eugene, OR... works for for Farra Snook. If I recall right, he said he'd done 70+. I guess Farra used to build them as part of a business.

SoFast Racing
Farra/Gary
541-928-5858 (Farra - Owner)/ 541-760-4518 (Gary - Painter)

I also have notes for a guy who did the work on the Mach 40 Mustang:

David (Eckert's Rod and Custom)
Eckert's Rod & Custom : Home Page
(503) 263.2893

-P
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleDad View Post
Howard used Street Rod painter back in 09. A mere 600 miles is right. I'll will let you know. I fear I'll be towing to CA northern CA would be better.
Yep, Howard's paint is very nice. I wanted to use Da Bat but he is too far away and Streetrod Painter is damn good as well and I have seen his work now so I'm confident in his ability. I'm certainly open to others if they are closer so am very interested in this thread.

Oh, BTW... I have the IRS with 3.27 and a torsen rear and a TKO600. Love it, I think you'll be happy with that combination. I assume you'll be making ~400hp or more... it is a great sweet spot.

FFR MK3.1 7075 Delivered: 10/13/09, First start 2/28/11, gokart 10 minutes later
408w carbed, TKO 600, IRS (3.27 with Torsen), dual roll bars, halibrand replicas, SS side pipes, rivet on hood scoop, SAI mod

Satisfied customer of: Factory Five Racing, Mike Forte, Breeze Automotive, Whitby Motors, Herb's Door Panels, Cobra Heat, Stewart Transport, Wayne Presley (Very Cool Parts), North Racecars, and Finish Line

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 01-15-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:36 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
There is little or no follow-up from Ken, you take it out of the shop and that is the last you may ever hear from him.

For fiberglass here in the Seattle area there are a few shops, I had some repairs done at R&G in Woodinville (no paint). I have a new body being sent from FFR this week since my MkII body is defective and will be looking for a local shop, unless the price is really really cheap I would not go back to Ken.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 05:53 PM
Piloti

Ricky Johnson at Show Case Collision in Kirkland did my first car. It was flawless and the price was reasonable. Highly recommended.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

SoFast

I emailed SoFast. I'll let you know what comes of it.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Ricky Johnson at Show Case Collision in Kirkland did my first car. It was flawless and the price was reasonable. Highly recommended.
I wonder if the price remains reasonable after doing one I'll have to give them a call when I'm ready...would be great to do it local.

Is this the place? http://www.showcasecollision.com/

First Start:

Dyno:

Last edited by Darren; 01-15-2015 at 06:40 PM.
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 09:21 PM

Try Bud Wenick from Silverstar Streetrods in Washougal Washington. He has done mine and many other shell Valley's. He has done a GTM and older lotus for a few with Cascade Cobras Club. He has painted many many different hotrods. His number is 360-837-1250 Alot closer than California. Great small shop and will take great care of you. Let him know I sent you his way. By the way he is sorta old school with no email or website. His work comes mostly by referrals and many return customers.

post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Piloti

Darren, that's it. Funny thing was back in the day FFR use to offer paint services. The first local car I looked at was painted by a shop in Mass and not done properly. Ricky took the car in stripped it completely and redid it. He swore he'd never do one again. Fortunately when I took mine in he saw that the body work was done properly he agreed to do it. When it was complete I was speechless as it came out so well. I gave him a few extra bucks. Just don't be in a hurry...
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Darren, that's it. Funny thing was back in the day FFR use to offer paint services. The first local car I looked at was painted by a shop in Mass and not done properly. Ricky took the car in stripped it completely and redid it. He swore he'd never do one again. Fortunately when I took mine in he saw that the body work was done properly he agreed to do it. When it was complete I was speechless as it came out so well. I gave him a few extra bucks. Just don't be in a hurry...
This is good to hear. I intend to do the rolled edges myself but leave the rest of the body work to the painter. You think he'd be interested or would he want to do everything or have me do everything except paint?

First Start:

Dyno:
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Piloti

He'll work it either way. Just let him know what materials you are using.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
He'll work it either way. Just let him know what materials you are using.
Cool, I'd love to see the work he did on your car sometime.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-17-2015, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Cool, I'd love to see the work he did on your car sometime.
I second that one. I would really love to do it local. Since I know nothing about bodywork it is one of those things where I really need to be confident the guy doing the work really understands these cars and wants to do the job right. I also could not stomach waiting for the car for too long. (>3 months for example)
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Portland Painter

Getting ready for body. Need a Painter on Portland. Budget : $10K.
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakester888 View Post
Getting ready for body. Need a Painter on Portland. Budget : $10K.
I'd give Farra (above) a call. He's in Eugene... but his painter does top notch work (according to what I've heard).

-P
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:34 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
I'm doing the prep on the new Challenge Car body now, I have been in touch with Gary to do the paint, hope to take it down to him in a couple of weeks

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQ View Post
I'm doing the prep on the new Challenge Car body now, I have been in touch with Gary to do the paint, hope to take it down to him in a couple of weeks
Would love to check it out once it is back.

First Start:

Dyno:
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Ricky at showcase painted mine. He won't do another one for the same price he did my at but he did good work. And did it probably in about six weeks. I do believe somebody else got a quote from him about five years ago and it was in the $8000-$9000 range. He just painted a Volkswagen bug for a buddy of mine and charged him $1500 to shoot the car and doublecheck the bodywork.

Non-Donor MKIII Delivered Oct. 18, 2005
Complete June 21, 2006

351w 400hp, T5, 3-link, 3:55

post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 05:08 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
I think I finished my seams (wife says I made a mess with all the sanding and thus I'm done). So I applied a lite coat of truck bed liner to under side. I think it's off to the painter (Gary Correia) this week to let him finish the rest of the body work.

Gary's web site Correia Customs

WP_20150307_17_29_55_Pro.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20150301_11_48_50_Pro.jpg (66.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150301_14_48_45_Pro.jpg (79.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150301_14_48_52_Pro.jpg (70.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg WP_20150301_14_49_28_Pro.jpg (70.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by UrQ; 03-10-2015 at 05:51 PM.
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Bookmarking this thread as I'll be there soon enough now that I'm back to working on the car!
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 06:32 PM

I live in Blaine and I used Jeff Miller in Temecula; after doing all the research for my bodywork/paint job, I decided it was actually cheaper to send the car to California. Local painters gave a price between $8 & 10K with no firm fixed price. All in (shipping, body work and paint) I will be $8700 with daBat. I also knew that the job would be done right.

I used Jeff's preferred shipper - Mike Brown of Kimik Transport.

Will post pictures once I get the car back on Sunday.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 01:19 AM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
I dropped min off with Gary Correia early Friday AM. Very nice place and equipment. we will see in a few weeks what comes out but Gary has done a great job on Ferra's cars.
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 02:26 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Car is primed now, polyester primmer, then urethane primmer and now on to the final sanding . Seems the seam work I did was acceptable and cut out aa bunch of time and work for Gary.

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:05 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Paint is finished, will pick it up this week.

post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrQ View Post
Paint is finished, will pick it up this week.

Very nice

I really should be calling Gary for an estimate on my car.
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:58 AM

Looks good tony!
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:46 AM
aka: DESTRO

Very nice! Can't wait to see more pics.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 PM
UrQ
FFCars Master Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Very nice

I really should be calling Gary for an estimate on my car.
There are 2-3 coupes there that he has painted that you can look at and a bunch of other roadsters and even a 33. He will most likely do my 818 if we can agree upon a price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement