FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Serpent Express Feedback?
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 PM
edwardb
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rateike View Post
Chris as you know I do not own one. However, I did witness a Cobra being loaded at LCS about 4 year ago. The ramp on one side kicked up and detached itself from the trailer and fell to the ground. I yelled for the guy to keep going since the rear tire was almost on the trailer and it was OK. However, I think a better way to attached the top of the ramp to the trailer should be considered.

I have only experience with rented U-Haul trailers and the ramps slide out and are still attached some how. Lee
The SE is built on several different platforms depending on the location and trailer provider, so I think there may be some variations in the design and specifically the ramps. I can only speak to the all aluminum version pictured in post #2. Due to the beaver tail rear, there is limited room for the ramps to slide in out like the U-Haul. In my case, the ramps have an attachment point on the front. It's very robust, and they're not going anywhere. When used to drive the car in and out of the trailer, they are captured by the rear bumper and an extruded piece on the front of the ramp. Also very robust. I don't see how it would be possible for the ramp to kick up and detach like described. That would be scary...

I did one other thing. I actually glued rubber chocks to the floor of my SE. Used those solid triangle ones from HF and glued to floor with construction adhesive. Made it really easy to drive in and stop against the chocks, and be in the perfect position to strap down and also eliminate fear of hitting the nose inside the trailer. Thought about getting a winch, but with the chocks, it's a piece of cake to drive in and out.

Here's a picture of the ramps and where they stow.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome

Welcome to FFCars! The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the FFCars.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by FFCars.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Factory Five Racing, Inc. or Ford Motor Company for any purpose. "FFR", "Factory Five", "Factory Five Racing", and the Factory Five Racing logo are registered trademarks of Factory Five Racing, Inc. FFCars.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting the FFCars.com Forum dedicated to Factory Five.