2017 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By DealsGapCobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

2017 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Coming up on time for the annual Tail of the Dragon / Cherohala Skyway run!

We'd generally decided on the 3rd Saturday of September, but several folks from the Charlotte and Raleigh groups have already said they can’t make it that day, and/or would rather take a day off and go up on a weekday to avoid some of the traffic.

Who's in?
When would you rather go?

Thursday, September 21st
OR
Saturday, September 23rd

We're polling the groups and regular attendees separately. We'll go with whatever the majority wants.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:56 AM
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner

Either works for me.

Greg

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 AM

I'll be there the week before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:16 AM

I should be able to make the weekend date.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
coyote cruiser thanked this.

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M View Post
Either works for me.

Greg
Thanks Greg. I'm looking forward to catching up again!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
I'll be there the week before.
Cool. What date(s) specifically? I'm still trying to get feedback from our groups, and the 3rd Saturday (September 16th) isn't completely ruled out yet.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:26 PM
FFCars Captain

I just drove this today out and back from the Robbinsville end. I would like to meet up and join you unfortunately I'll be gone from Sept 11 to about Oct 9th. on an RV trip. I've relocated the FFR to Murphy , N.C. My summer home. Way better driving than the Treasure Coast of FL. Originally from Northern Ca. Hopefully there'll be other times to meet up. I've been off the forums for years trying to get back into the swing of things..
Mike

Garage paint.. Ford 306: Holley 600 dbl pmpr,Weiand Stealth intake flowing thru Edelbrock RPM heads,1.7RR, New T-5,3.73:1,15" pse, 3 link ,FFR headers, APE Hard Top, EPS
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Majority responses have been for Saturday, September 23rd, so here we go!

2017 Tail of the Dragon & Cherohala Skyway run

Same schedule as years past (GPS “addresses” for anyone meeting along the way):

Saturday, September 23:
05:45 Charlotte area group departs Sheetz gas station at I-77, Exit 42 ("1023 Charlotte Hwy, Troutman, NC 28166")

08:00 Arrive Cracker Barrel I-40, Exit 44 ("5 Crowell Rd Asheville, NC 28806")
Breakfast & meet up with some of the Asheville area folks & Raleigh area folks who stayed over the night before. Depart CB ~09:00.

10:00 Stop for refueling at Smokey Mtn Bait & Tackle ("4470 US-19, Bryson City, NC 28713")

11:00 Arrive Fontana Dam Visitor’s Center (“Fontana Dam and Visitors Center, Stecoah NC”)

Catch up with the TN, SC & GA folks we haven’t seen since last year. Run the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, and maybe catch a few waterfalls.

Some of us will stay overnight in Robbinsville and run the Moonshiner (Hwy 28) and/or a waterfalls route Sunday before heading back home.

Hope you can make it. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Larry
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 08:43 PM

I was looking forward to meeting everyone but sadly will be in Alabama that weekend.

Hope to catch y'all on the next ride.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 AM

I was up there today and saw a good sized group of Cobras from KY. Pretty cars enjoying a beautiful day. I hope we get similar weather.

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
I was up there today and saw a good sized group of Cobras from KY. Pretty cars enjoying a beautiful day. I hope we get similar weather.
Keeping my fingers crossed!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Looks like a good forecast for Saturday. Just a couple of updates & reminders:

1. We’ll have several cobra enthusiasts coming in non-cobras. Simply for the purpose of photos (not exclusion!), please try to stage the cobras together.

2. We’ll try to leave Fontana Dam a little earlier than usual this year (around 11:45-12:00) so we can stop at the Deal’s Gap store for t-shirts / souvenirs before running the Dragon.

3. Once we’ve run the Dragon northbound, we’ll stage at the paved pull-off on the right. Whoever gets there first: just park diagonally to the road and everyone else can stage in a row / two rows (depending on how many show up) following your lead.

4. We’ll confirm at the pull-off who will be running the dragon again southbound, who’s going to continue north and loop around to Tellico for lunch at Kat’s Deli, who’s doing something else… and stage any different groups from there accordingly to avoid any past confusion.

5. Biggest thing to remember is to be responsible for the car behind you. This will set the pace and ensure everyone makes it to where we’re going safely.

Let’s have some fun!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Turns out that I have a family thing this weekend on wont be able to join in.

The weather looks like it is going to be great, have fun and be safe!

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:21 AM

I will wait for you guys at Deals Gap @12:00. There will be one or two non cobra cars with me. We will run the dragon north with the group.

Greg

FFR4373RD MK3, nondonor, DIY options/mods/paint, Lexus indigo/Viper silver, Hydroboost PS&PB/discs/ABS, AC/heat, 3-link/Konis, FMS302E, Holley 600DP/Airgap, 4X4 exhaust, Halibrand deep lip chrome CobraIII, TeamIII spinners, rollbars: chrome full & single

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a text as we're leaving the Dam just so you'll know our timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_M View Post
I will wait for you guys at Deals Gap @12:00. There will be one or two non cobra cars with me. We will run the dragon north with the group.

Greg
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Supreme Cobra Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote cruiser View Post
Sounds good. I'll shoot you a text as we're leaving the Dam just so you'll know our timing.
Will your cell work there? Service is spotty for me (ATT)

-Tim-

-Welcome to Georgia. We shoot first.
-I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention
~Me~
Damned Ph0t0Bucket!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC View Post
Will your cell work there? Service is spotty for me (ATT)
Good call: it's hit or miss with Verizon there as well. I guess I should say "I'll attempt to shoot a text...".
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM

A big THANK YOU to coyote cruiser for organizing the drive. Thanks to his wife who was a real trooper. I had a great time meeting everyone and seeing some of the regulars once more. It was a great day. Here are 3 pics from the end. I posted the full size links to them as well.

https://photos.smugmug.com/CARS/i-jB...O/IMG_0665.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/CARS/i-rv...O/IMG_0666.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/CARS/i-qN...O/IMG_0667.jpg

Here's the Killboy Cobra folder.
https://killboy.photoreflect.com/sto...45&po=0&pc=172

Greg

Last edited by Greg_M; 09-25-2017 at 10:27 PM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Looks like a good turnout with great weather! Sorry I missed you guys.

Rob

12/7/1941
9/11/2001
3/21/2010
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Greg. It's always great catching up with you guys.

If you don't mind, I'll copy & paste your photos to our FB group & some of the other forums. I neglected to get any shots of yours & the GA guys' cars once we reached Deal's Gap.

Must've used all my brain cells this weekend... I can't get the photos or video to appear in this message like you did. So here's a video link and some additional photos attached:

Video from the Dragon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Do not push, Jack.jpg (233.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Fontana IMG_4642.jpg (243.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Hwy 74 IMG_4639.jpg (104.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Smoky Bait & Tackle IMG_4640.jpg (248.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Smoky Bait & Tackle IMG_4641.jpg (248.6 KB, 18 views)
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:19 AM

The video link returns this message to me:

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Well dang. Try this one:

Last edited by coyote cruiser; 09-26-2017 at 03:33 PM.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:05 PM

It's doing the same thing.

Can anyone else out there see it?

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Sometimes I hate technology. Or Facebook. Maybe both.

The original is on my fiancée's phone. I'll see when she can upload it from there for me.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Okay, just uploaded it to youtube instead. Link edited / updated below.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:56 PM

That worked!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement