Holley Sniper EFI experience wanted - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By Geoff H
  • 1 Post By John Dol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Holley Sniper EFI experience wanted

I am looking for people's opinions and experience with the Holley Sniper EFI.

I NEED both pros and cons.

I also NEED to know about performance between 1000 - 2000 rpm.

It would go on a 331 Ford.

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 05:53 AM

Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-STL View Post
I am looking for people's opinions and experience with the Holley Sniper EFI.

I NEED both pros and cons.

I also NEED to know about performance between 1000 - 2000 rpm.

It would go on a 331 Ford.

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob,

I've been running the Sniper on my 427W for about a year now and love it. After having nothing but trouble with the FAST EFI that came with the engine I replaced it with the Sniper. It started right up after the set up and learned very fast. Did have some cold weather issues with it but after getting some advice, tweeked the tune and it has been great ever since.

The lower RPM performance will be more affected by the cam I would think rather than the Sniper. My engine does not like to run nice much below 1800 RPM but I am sure that is totally the cam. But the response when the go pedal is pressed is satisfying, the Sniper gives it all the fuel it wants right away, no stumble or lag. I did get the solid linkage to replace the cable as I did not like the slight lag and imprecise feel I got with the cable.

Hope this helps answer your questions.
Brien

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:07 PM
FFCars Captain

Brien,

I've seen some vid's on replacing the linkage between the primary and secondary to prevent darting of the line (only like a $20 part) Is that something you deem necessary?

Thanks,

John

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brien.

So steady acceleration all the way from idle to 3000 or 4000 rpm?

What about cruising steady at 2000 rpm. Still lopey?

Bob
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:36 AM
FFCars Major

Bob, what's your system now?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
Bob, what's your system now?
Edelbrock Pro-Flo II
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 03:09 PM
FFCars Major

Quote:
Edelbrock Pro-Flo II
OK, for some reason thought you may have had a Fast EZ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
Brien,

I've seen some vid's on replacing the linkage between the primary and secondary to prevent darting of the line (only like a $20 part) Is that something you deem necessary?

Thanks,

John
Hi John,

Not sue what you are referring to. I have the aftermarket throttle pedal linkage and nothing else.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks Brien.

So steady acceleration all the way from idle to 3000 or 4000 rpm?

What about cruising steady at 2000 rpm. Still lopey?

Bob
No, steady state from 1800 RPM all the way up is fine, smooth and even.

Acceleration, light or heavy, is good from idle to as far as you want to go, no problems here at any RPM. Nice and linear, smooth and responsive.

Steady state throttle, in any gear, from idle (@850) to around 1800 feels like it is lugging and lopey, but if the throttle is pressed anywhere in this range the engine instantly comes to life and all loping and lugging is gone.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:07 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I just got back today from a 3000+ mile road trip from Alberta through BC, into Montana and Yellowstone, over to Idaho, and then back home.

I run a 5.0L from an 89 mustang that's an honest 350hp/400tq. I installed the sniper system and dual sync over the winter. First CPU packed it in this spring - thankfully in the garage. Not sure what happened but Holley replaced it under warranty.

The new system has been almost flawless. It did not miss a beat at any RPM on the trip. Hot starts/cold starts, up and down hills, mountains, high elevation (Up to about 8500 ft elevation in Yellowstone), lugging, cruising, WOT blasts, sustained highway speed for hours at a time. Just my experience, but I really like it.

Good luck with your decision.

Geoff

Bob-STL thanked this.

Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 308, Holley Sniper and dual sync distributor , Comp Cams XE266HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:36 PM
FFCars Captain

Brien,

Here check this out

John
Geoff H thanked this.

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:30 PM

Just curious...how is the hood clearance with the Holley EFI (assuming 302 based engine)? Can you fit the large oval cobra air filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement