Gen III Coupe weight in case anyone is interested - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By taved

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Gen III Coupe weight in case anyone is interested

Gen III Coupe
FRPP x302b motor (carb)
TKO-600, Quicktime bellhousing
IRS, 13" front Cobra brakes, 13" FFR IRS rear brakes
18x9 and 18x10.5 wheels, 275/295 Nitto NT05s
Kirkey seats
Flowmaster slimlines
Boom-mat-type stuff on most surfaces as as well as light foam
10 lb fire suppression system and 5 lb hand-bottle/bracket
2 coats epoxy, 3 coats high-build primer, U-POL undercoating on nose and rear fenderwells

2680 lbs

Dave #17

David Williamson thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

yes that is interesting. I assume this is with full fluids. Do you have AC?
mine should be very similar.
David W

FFR-4874 Mk ll, 3 bar coilovers, 5.0 with Edelbrock heads, RPM ll intake, 70mm TB, 24lb injectors, bullit replicas. Registered Aug 04, Lexus Indigo ink, silver stripes. Dec 06 POM
Gen 3 coupe #16, Dart 363 TKO600 Wilwood's IRS - registered Sept 18 and off to paint.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:49 AM
FFCars Captain

Yes, very interesting. Thanks for posting. Expect mine will be similar as well. Also interested to see the comment about U-Pol undercoating on the cowl and body. Do you have any pictures and comments about that? Maybe in your build thread. Trying to decide what to do with mine and that's one of the products I'm considering.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

David- no A/C nor defrost/fan, etc.. Yes, full fluids. Canton pan, plastic radiator overflow, etc.
I'm glad that the number came out somewhat even- 2680 - I can remember that.

Paul- attached is a pic during the first round of two applying UPOL to the underside of the nose.

I simply used a 4" chip-brush and a dabbing motion to get sort of a 'random' pattern. At this point, where I was, I was not in a position to spray this material. I should have tried to roll it to save time. After the 2nd go-around it looked good and normalized all of the surfaces- you know that some are already smooth and some are rough- I did not like that.

I knew that i wanted something 'catalyzed' and this stuff sets up hard.

If you look closely you can see that the gaps in the panels were filled with short-strand fiberglass filler- seen clearly on the longish-straight corners. Also the curved area above where the air cleaner would sit. I was just my gloved-finger filling in with the stuff. No post-sanding. I could have spent a lot of time on this but I did not.

I did this before spraying the other (red) side with epoxy sealer and primer.

I will say that all of this adds up to weight- you can tell when you lift it!

I'll try to get a picture of how the hood looks today, 6 months on the road later, but there have been no issues with the undercoating.

I did the weight of the car to confirm my suspicion that it's not 'running the numbers' at the drag-strip. Not that it's a drag car- it's just the best way to get a calculated hp value once you know the weight. I'll be on the chassis dyno soon to try to tune it better.

Dave #17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Upol.JPG (238.1 KB, 34 views)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Looks like I'm going to have to revise my estimate then for my own car. I had in mind 2800lbs but with your build and adding AC, a transfer case, front diff, etc. I may be up closer to 2950. Seems almost portly compared to everyone else!

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Here's some under-hood shots of what the UPOL Raptor undercoating looks like after a couple thousand miles.

I've driven the car in light rain and never cleaned it.

Dave #17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (69.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (116.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (94.2 KB, 33 views)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Logan
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Thanks for creating this thread, Dave. It is interesting to see this data. Would be nice if more owners ďweighed inĒ as well to establish a sort of trend.

I was hoping to be closer to 2,500 lbs with my Gen 3 Coupe-R......but Iím already at a disadvantage since the chassis is heavier (due to the extra frame tubing). And even though it has an aluminum block, Iím not sure the Coyote is any lighter than a carbed small-block Ford.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Senior Charter Member

How does that compare to the Gen II average build?

Marc

It's just a matter of time.

2009 FFR Coupe # 434 Gen I. Power Brakes, 347ci, Carb, 15 inch FIA style pin drive wheels, SAI, 3-link. First drive: April 2014
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:36 PM
Logan
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Weighed my powdercoated but otherwise bare Gen 3 Coupe-R chassis last weekend.

540 lbs

Iíve heard the R chassis is about 75-80 lbs heavier than the S chassis, for what itís worth.

Logan

FFR Fanatic Since 1995
Ordered 4/22: Type 65-R
2017 Mustang GT PP #95
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:12 PM

did you just scale it or did you corner weight it and align
what are you cross weights

Sponsored Links
Advertisement