Building Coupe 674 - Page 4 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 20Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Figuring Out the Engine Position

With the help of some friends I came up with a used Coyote from a 2015 Mustang. There's only 29,000 miles on it ... barely broken in!

I've been planning to install the engine forward a bit ... much like SeattleDad did with his build. He moved it forward about 1-1/2" by slotting the pedestals and separating/flipping the base of the motor mounts. Since I enjoy fabrication and have a buddy who can't wait to weld something I thought I'd take a different approach. I intend to fab up new pedestals so I can put the engine as far forward as I want without messing with the mounts or having the starter interfere with the pedestal.
I took a few measurements from the engine and the frame to confirm what I'd read on these forums. If the engine were to be moved forward 3" the crankshaft pulley will touch the front cross member. I fabbed up the new parts adding 3" to the length of the upper parts. This will let me use the existing pedestals for positioning the new ones while allowing me to put the engine where everything will fit ... up to 3" forward.

I'll definitely be recruiting help from some friends when it comes time to set in that engine. More on this later.

I'm Glenn. Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mustang GT
Rally North America "Team Limer".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe: Gen 2 Coyote, TKO-600, T-bird IRS with 3.55 Torsen diff.

This year's RNA event supports Camp Sunshine whose mission is to provide respite for families of children with life threatening illnesses. See "Team Limer" on FB for info. Thanks!

Last edited by Gbeck; 10-25-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 125 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 AM
FFCars Captain

Nice find on the engine Glenn!

Looking forward to seeing it in the car.

John

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

post #93 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
A little more sound deadening ...

I knew that I had some Dynamat Extreme on hand from an earlier project but I didn't plan on using it on the coupe. I already used Lizard Skin on the exterior. I was surprised to find that I had several sheets of the stuff! Enough to cover the high-noise areas. So, why not!

Driver footbox

Passenger footbox and firewall

Tunnel and cockpit rear wall
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2cBvgd7]

Trunk

2006 Mustang GT

This year's RNA event supports Camp Sunshine whose mission is to provide respite for families of children with life threatening illnesses. See "Team Limer" on FB for info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Test fit the dash

I did a test fit of the dash today. No clearance problems. And now I see how the dash wiring harness has to be routed to plug in to the main harness.

However, I'm surprised at how far I had to extend the upper steering shaft to get the steering wheel hub to bolt on. The pocket for one of the two belleville washers is not inside the lower steering shaft. There's still plenty of engagement so I'm not worried about the shaft coming apart. I wonder if the reason behind this is that the coupe is bit longer than the roadster.

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Gbeck; 11-19-2018 at 12:03 AM.
post #95 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
First test fit for the engine

My buddy Bob (the guy that can't wait to weld something) came over for a work session today. Our mission was to take a first shot at placing the engine.

A little bit of background:
My Gen 2 coupe was originally ordered with the mod engine mounts. My first plan was to use the 4.6L DOHC engine from the donor car, a Lincoln Mark VIII. But the plan changed to use a Coyote after I sold off that engine to a more appropriate home. Another part of the plan is to shift the engine forward a bit and to run undercar exhaust instead of the usual side pipes. The reasons for wanting to shift the engine forward include more balanced weight distribution, better access between the engine and the firewall, and more room for the exhaust to run into the tunnel. I haven't seen anybody on the forums pull off this trick with a Coyote, so I think this is uncharted territory!
I've been studying the build thread by SeattleDad for tips on shifting the engine forward. He separated the two halves of the motor mount and flipped the mount over to gain about 1-3/8". Then he slotted the motor mount pedestal to get about another 1/2". He had to replace the starter with a mini to fit it in behind the motor mount pedestal. BTW, SeattleDad and I both got in on a buy of foot box sheet metal modified for Coyote fitment by 2BKing a couple of years ago, so I should be good there.

So here's what we did today:
I wanted to avoid the problem that SeattleDad ran into, so it seemed likely that I would have to relocate the motor mount pedestals. I cut all the pieces I would need to make new ones from 3/16" steel.
We lifted the engine off the shipping pallet and tried to drop in the engine with the mounts and pedestals as is. The heads ran into the foot boxes big time.
We lifted the engine out again did the motor mount flip. This time we just cleared the foot boxes but we were still too tight to the firewall for any maintenance at the back of the engine and the starter wouldn't fit. There was room to go farther forward since the front pulley was still a good 3" from the front cross member. So, after some precise measurements we cut off the existing pedestals and fabbed up new ones using the parts I'd already cut.
With the motor mounts and pedestals bolted to the engine we hoisted it into position. It wasn't quite squared up and it was pitched nose down by about 5 degrees. But it was promising. The foot boxes were not an issue, there was adequate room to get to the back of the engine, the front pulley was about 1" from the cross member, and the stock Coyote exhaust manifolds just might fit when we get the engine squared up and angled down in back a couple of degrees.

We were pretty beat, so we put the engine on a stand and called it a day. I need to shop for a few bolts and get ready to take another run at this after the holiday.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The motor mounts and parts for building new pedestals:

My buddy Bob is welding up the new pedestals:

While I cut off the existing pedestals:

The engine is in the bay! It's not squared up yet, but it sure looks promising.

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Gbeck; 11-19-2018 at 01:31 AM.
post #96 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:31 PM

Garage
Great progress! You'll have it fit and the driveline set soon enough! (and way sooner than me haha)
Gbeck thanked this.

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder
post #97 of 125 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:04 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Nice work Glenn.
Gbeck thanked this.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Eaton Super Charged 306 SBF, T5 G-Force, IRS.
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
post #98 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
There's a link in my signature to a Flickr Collection of pictures of my build. It struck me that it's been a long time since I updated it, so I took care of that today.

Speaking of my signature, I've been participating in scavenger hunt style road rallies for charity as a member of Rally North America for several years. There's a link to my rally page in my sig. This past summer's event (which I had to pass up) was documented by Sopwith Motorsports and will be shown as a 6 part series starting December 5 at 6 pm and again at 9 pm. The rally route follows US-50 from Pueblo to Carson City thru some of America's most beautiful areas.

Enjoy!

Meanwhile I'm working on the chassis wiring. The changes I made to the chassis present some problems and some opportunities. As always, here's another chance to learn a new skill!

Also, I'm preparing for another session with some friends when we can take another shot at setting the engine.

2006 Mustang GT

post #99 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting on with the wiring

This is going to take some time, but the fact that the Ron Francis wiring harness fits so well is a huge help! The main harness just fits, period! I re-routed the main harness just a bit to take advantage of the trough formed by the custom firewall. This keeps the bulk of the harness out of the way. I added a master cut-off switch (following the lead of edwardb) and a six-circuit sub panel on the passenger side to support some extras; marine windshield wipers, power windows, door poppers, an audio system of some sort, a 12 channel receiver and whatever may come later on.

In this pic I'm beginning to marry up the dash wiring to the chassis harness. The dash is supported by a couple of pieces of wood clamped to the 2x2 frame member behind the dash.

And this weekend I'll be getting some help to take another shot at placing the engine and welding in the new motor mount pedestals. I refuse to work solo on stuff that could crush me!

2006 Mustang GT

post #100 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:11 AM
FFCars Craftsman

It's funny, I started out with great intentions for my wiring to be perfectly routed and very neat and clean and then I had scope creep and things changed as I went on and I had to add a fuse and relay box into the glove box and reopen the wiring harness a few times, then things got a little messy :-) The good news is everything in my dash wiring is soldered for all splices and shrink wrapped. So I shouldn't have any problems, but it got messy. Maybe someday when I have nothing going on and I'm bored, I'll try cleaning it up

I think yours is going to turn out amazing Glenn, it looks really good so far.

Gbeck thanked this.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Eaton Super Charged 306 SBF, T5 G-Force, IRS.
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
post #101 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Engine placement done ... The good news and the bad news

Good news! We set the engine and welded in the motor mount pedestals. The engine is positioned 2" forward giving plenty of space behind the engine, adequate clearance at both foot boxes and about 1" between the front pulley and the front cross member. It's sitting nice and square with offset and pitch to match the differential.

Now the bad news. The stock Mustang exhaust manifolds are not going to cut it! On the driver's side they are a real tight fit to the foot box. And on both sides the outlet runs directly toward the angled down-tube that runs between the 4" main tube and the 2" x 2" cross member behind the dash.

What to do? Ideally the tubes from the front two cylinders would run straight back, then join the third and fourth tubes to go down and inboard to get between the 4" main tubes. It's hard to tell from on-line pics, bit a quick survey of aftermarket manifolds didn't turn up any solutions. None of the block huggers seem to turn inward at the collector. Maybe a modified after market block hugger? Or maybe the stock manifolds can be modified to work. Or maybe I have to ditch the whole undercar exhaust thing and go with side pipes. But even those would probably need tweaking.

This is what happens when you go where no one has gone before! I'll ponder this until after I have a bell housing and transmission in place.

2006 Mustang GT

post #102 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 03:14 PM
FFCars Captain

Glenn,

Dont know if this works but could you simply switch sides with the manifolds and then work from the front of the engine backwards?

John
Gbeck thanked this.

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI

post #103 of 125 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn’t mention that I tried the side to side swap. The outlets run right into the AC compressor and the alternator. But that sort of routing might be the answer for a custom manifold. I’ll keep it in mind.

2006 Mustang GT

post #104 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Getting back into the build

December was an unusually eventful month ... some joyous and some mournful. But that's behind us now. It feels good to get back into this build!

Weeks ago I had good reason to jump ahead into wiring before really buttoning up the suspension. But now it's time to fix that. For the initial installation of the T-bird IRS the manual suggests installing only some of the spacers on the lower control arms. This helps a lot when setting the track width and alignment. Today I installed the rest of the spacers and torqued everything down. At the front I set the suspension to 4" ride height, centered the steering rack and did a rough front end alignment. I'm sure all this will need to be tweaked when there's an engine in the chassis, but it's close enough for a roller.

Finally, I just ordered a set of block hugger headers from our friends at Summit Racing. These are Patriot H8483. Everything I can find tells me that these are my best bet for fitting undercar exhaust to the Coyote in this custom coupe. I can't wait to see how these work out!

2006 Mustang GT

post #105 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Meanwhile

With the engine still on the stand I mounted the block hugger headers. I didn't get the immediate gratification that I was hoping for, but these things might be modified to work. As it is the collector flanges will interfere with the 4" main frame tubes. A few pie cuts and some welding might bring them close enough that they will fit between the frame tubes. Even so, they might be too low to keep the pipes from hanging below the frame.

But before I start cutting up those headers I need to be certain of where the rest of the drive line will sit, especially starter and the bell housing. So I picked up the phone and called my good friends at CJ Pony Parts. A bell housing, transmission and clutch are on the way!

Meanwhile, I installed a clutch safety switch. I made up brackets from aluminum stock and bolted them to the top of the pedal box mounting. I think that will work.

I mocked up the routing of the rear harness through the tunnel as described in the manual. But since I will (I hope) be running exhaust pipes through the tunnel I thought it would be better to route the harness inside the cabin. It fits pretty well along the passenger side of the tunnel, and there's a convenient spot to punch it through the back wall to run along the outside of the frame to the rear of the car. I'll route it down at the floor for now. But depending on seat fitment I might mount it higher on the side of the tunnel. In either case I'll make up a trough to protect it and hold it in place.

2006 Mustang GT

post #106 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Slowly making progress on several fronts

Wiring:
I have all of the Ron Francis wiring harness laid in place. I still have a lot of connections to make to it, but the dash wiring is nearly complete. A few extra items are already added; marine wipers with controller, a pair of 6-fuse sub panels (one always on and one key on), and a master cutoff switch. Things that still need work are power window switches, door solenoid switches, wiper set up (sweep and parking), heater/ac controls, a few power ports and probably a couple of other things that will come to mind later.
I made up a harness for the rear lighting. It includes corner marker lights with turn signals, four 4" round LEDs (2 with backup), and a trailer adapter to convert the harness's 3-wire set up to a 2-wire set up. I decided to run the rear harness inside the cockpit instead of through the tunnel to protect it from the exhaust heat. A quick test shows that these lights are going to be plenty bright!

Exhaust manifolds:
Remember that I want to run the exhaust under the car? I finally bit the bullet and bought the bell housing and TKO-600 transmission so I could be sure of clearances for the headers and exhaust. It turns out that the block-hugger headers I bought run just outboard of the starter. I was really hoping that I could get the to collector tucked in between the 4" main tubes. But it doesn't look like that can happen. F-150 manifolds run above the starter ... maybe there's a solution to be found there.

Fuel Fill:
I'm using a custom fuel tank from RCI as part of my search for more trunk space. The fuel fill needs a bit of custom work. The tank is fitted with a 1-3/4" tube at 45* and needs a little bit of a dog-leg bend to get over the rear frame rail. I got a couple of stainless tubes 45* bends, did a bit of cutting and fitting, and let my buddy with a TIG do his thing. I can't finalize this until the body is back on, but I'm pretty sure that it will have to swing rearward. I also fabbed up a removable panel for the trunk floor that gives easy access to the fittings and wiring at the top of the tank.

Brakes:
The final component for the brake system is the reservoirs. I got a nice three bowl unit from Tilton. Is it too much to ask for the vendor to list the required hose size? The master cylinders use 1/4" ID hose and the reservoir uses 3/8" ID hose. Shopping for adapters again. Ugh!

It's kinda starting to look like a car ... kinda!

2006 Mustang GT

post #107 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:21 PM
FFCars Captain

Nice Glenn,

You can always go back to a hand crank and the eliminate the starter if that makes the routing of the exhaust easier

Good progress on the rest of the build, keep it going!

John

post #108 of 125 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha! You're not the first one to suggest that!

2006 Mustang GT

post #109 of 125 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mock up install for the drive line

A friend stopped by to lend a hand. I think I already mentioned that I don't like working alone with stuff that can crush me! The mission for the day was to assemble the engine, bell housing and transmission (TKO 600), then set it all in the chassis. With that done I can determine whether these block hugger headers will work for me, or if my notion of under-car exhaust is even feasible.

With a little bit of wrestling we got everything bolted together and it all dropped into the frame pretty painlessly. Flipping the shifter mount around as I expected put it in a great location. No dog-leg needed. Unfortunately the engine did not sit down on the pedestals completely. I need to extend the slots in the pedestals about a half inch so it can sit all the way down.

Once that is done and the engine is in position I'll be able to assess a few other things. How far up must I shim the engine to keep the oil pan from hanging below the frame? What are my drive line angles? What sort of transmission mount will work best?

I do know now that the original Mustang exhaust manifolds and the Patriot block hugger headers will NOT work since they run too wide and too low. There's a decent amount of space above the starter, so I'll be looking into Coyote manifolds for an F-150.

Dropping it in ...

It's in there! My buddy Dennis is checking it out, "That's a lot of motor for that car!"

I flipped the shifter mount around. It's right where I want it!
A rope is supporting the rear of the transmission for now. But the tail can rest on the cross member.

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Gbeck; 02-06-2019 at 12:07 AM.
post #110 of 125 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Transmission Mount ...

Continuing with the drive line mock up I added an extension to the bracket to support the transmission mount. Now that I see it, there's no way I'm going to trust it. The mount is a full 7 inches away from the cross member.

I guess I'll be fabbing up a cross member!

2006 Mustang GT

post #111 of 125 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Under car exhaust ???

You might remember that that I welded tubes through the center cross member to serve as pass throughs for the under car exhaust. They are made from 3-1/2" OD, 1/4" wall tubing. This week I extended them a few inches to serve as anchor points for a removable transmission mount. I can only weld a little more than half way around, but I'll gusset the free end to the main 4" tubes. It should be plenty solid for holding the rear of the transmission in place. This is all just tack welded for now.

Also, I received a set of headers from Sanderson, and I think these are very close to working for me. They look a little unusual because the left and right sides are entirely different. The right side tubes go straight back and join in a collector just above the starter. From there the pipes will have to bend about 30 degrees around the bell housing and downward to get between the 4" main tubes.

The left side tubes go back, then straight down behind the motor mount and end in a collector just inside the 4" tube. From there the pipe will have to make a 90 degree bend in about 3-1/2".

It's pretty tight on both sides. Sanderson seemed agreeable about making some adjustments. But before I go that route I want to get a few expert's eyes on it. More later.

2006 Mustang GT

post #112 of 125 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Under Car Exhaust!!! And a few odds and ends.

This was a big moment for my build. I asked our friend Mark Dougherty aka "The Traveling Builder" to come by to assess the feasibility of him doing under car exhaust for me.

I think my build is unique in that I don't know of anybody else that has done under car exhaust in a Type 65 Coupe with a Coyote engine. I've been following the threads of other under car exhaust cars (SBF) and have made the mods to the frame that Mark did on other projects. I also followed the posts of SeattleDad for his installation of a Coyote in a Gen 2 coupe. With all of this guidance ... and the discovery of the Sanderson exhaust manifolds I was hopeful that I had found the right combination of mods to get this done.

Mark studied the situation for a few minutes and declared that he could do this! The left side collector will need to be modified and we will need to make a bit of clearance on the right side. But it's all doable. We will take this project on after I return from a road trip later this spring. I can't wait!!!

In other news, I mounted my eBrake lever. I got this eBrake lever for a 2006 Mustang on eBay. I got it mounted with a little bit of cutting and fitting. What I like about it is that most of the lever is below the transmission tunnel cover. Only a few inches of it will be visible. It should make for a nice tidy installation.

I mounted my brake fluid reservoir. This is a three pot unit from Tilton. I was kind of annoyed to find that the hose size for this reservoir is not the same as the hose size for the master cylinders. I found these 90 degree adapters that make for a smooth run for the hoses. What do you think?

2006 Mustang GT

post #113 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Catching Up

It's been a long time since my last update, mostly because my wife and I took an epic cross country trip that took all of April. Not to belabor it here, it had little to do with my build, but it was an amazing drive! PA to San Francisco, then PCH to Spokane and return to PA. Details on my "Team Limer" FB page. We live in a big, beautiful country. Get out there and enjoy it!

Back to the build, my main focus lately has been on the wiring. My goal is to get all of the chassis electrical functioning before setting the body in place. It's easier to get to things with the body off and I can package everything neatly. I'm not finished, but I can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

As usual, I went a bit off the normal path with my electrical work. Here's a brief run-down ...

The Ron Francis wiring harness is really nice! I routed it a little bit differently than most because of other stuff I've done to the chassis. For example, the rear harness is routed through the cabin to avoid heat from the under car exhaust.

I'm using 7" headlights that include two sets of amber LEDs. I'm using one for parking lights and the other for turn signals. There are LED side marker lights that have two elements and they are used the same way. I'm using the Ron Francis headlight switch, Russ Thompson's turn signal system and a headlight controller from Ididit. With this arrangement I have a real turn signal stalk with a push button that does flash-to-pass when the headlights are off and toggles high and low beam when the headlights are on.

In the rear I'm using the 4" round LED tail lights that I described in a video a while ago. These are trailer lights so I added a box to convert from three-wire to two-wire. Side note ... while testing this with my Power Probe the converter did not work consistently. After much frustration I found that there was a voltage drop because of the long leads I was using for testing. When I manned up and connected the battery it worked fine ... and the magic smoke did not escape!

I'm using a parking brake lever for a 2005 Mustang. I like the way the lever bends so that most of the lever will be under the tunnel cover. It includes a switch for an indicator light, so I wired up one of those too. It took a little fabrication to mount it, but its pretty cool.

I hung the door frames and roughed in the wiring for the power windows and the door poppers. The door poppers are activated by relays that are triggered by a signal from a wireless remote control I got from Electric Life. It has 12 channels ... lots more to play with later.

The dash in the car now is temporary. I have some ideas for a custom dash but I'll save that project for later. For this reason my dash front panel is completely removable. I can easily lay it down to work on the back side or flip it up over the cross bar into it's normal position. Moving the dash as often as I did proved to be a problem for the accessory and ignition toggle switches ... the heavier wires put enough strain on the switches to break them. So I changed this up. The wires that went to these switches are now connected to relays that are triggered by smaller gauge wires from the toggle switches.

Speaking of relays, I added a bank of relays under the dash. Some 60 amp relays for the accessory, ignition and start switches and some 40 amp relays for the door poppers.

Finally, I added two fuse panels. Each contains six fuses and each is protected by a 50 amp breaker. One of these is battery power from a master cutoff switch. The other is accessory power from an 80 amp relay triggered by the accessory switch. The master switch is accessible from the engine side of the firewall.

2006 Mustang GT

post #114 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM
FFCars Captain

X2 on the traveling

Nice progress on the electrical side Glen! Can you show some pics of the head lights working?

John

post #115 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, John!
It’s soon time for another video update. But meanwhile here’s a little thing I threw together just before our trip that shows the lighting in action.

https://youtu.be/GEq4WieQDCM

2006 Mustang GT

post #116 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:10 PM
FFCars Captain

Looks good Glen!

post #117 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wiring Diagrams

The Traveling Builder suggested that I do some wiring diagrams to help out with troubleshooting down the road. I thought they might be worth sharing, so here they are, attached, in PDF form. They incorporate ideas I picked up on these forums over the years from many contributors; CJBergquist and edwardb come to mind.

Disclaimer ... I believe these to be accurate ... but, you know ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My Wiring Diagrams.pdf (127.5 KB, 20 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #118 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Under Car Exhaust ... For Real! Thanks Traveling Builder!!!

One of my goals toward making this kit into a road car was to run the exhaust under the car. I've been following the work of the Traveling Builder as he did this on a few small block Ford coupes, but I knew that my Coyote build was going to give us a few extra challenges. With the help of a friend I did the exhaust pass through tubes and notched the cross member at the IRS cage (T-bird / Lincoln) cross member. I used the foot box sheet metal that 2BKing had designed for the roadsters. And I built custom motor mount pedestals to set the engine forward about 3 inches from the normal mod motor spot ... a different take on the work of SeattleDad.

With all that I still didn't know what sort of manifolds I would need to get the pipes around the engine and down between the frame tubes. The stock Mustang manifolds ran right into the frame tubes. And some "block hugger" headers did pretty much the same thing. The answer was a set of headers from Sanderson. They are made for a Coyote engine in an F-150. The driver side seems pretty conventional with the tubes gathering to a collector behind the motor mount. On the passenger side the tubes run rearward gathering at a collector above the starter to allow the pipes to run down along the bell housing. Sounds strange. But it's real close to being a perfect fit for the coupe.

Mark and Matt were able to modify the manifolds and build the exhaust system in the space available. One down tube has to be relocated just a bit. The pipes run high so not hang below the frame anywhere and they clear the rear suspension in full droop with room to spare. Things are close enough that I'm going to need some heat insulation in a few areas. I'm very happy with the result!

Here are some pics and a video ...

The mufflers are tucked in on either side of the fuel tank. A bit of reflective insulation will be needed here. I'm not sure what I'll do about a tail pipe. A lot depends on where the muffler sits relative to the body.

After passing under the lower control arms (with about 1 inch clearance at full droop) the pipes go through pass through tubes that we welded through the cross member.

The manifold was extended down along side the bell housing to a V-band clamp where it meets the exhaust pipe. This view is from below.

And this is the view from above looking down to the V-band clamp. The manifold runs rearward above the starter then downward behind it.

Here's a look at the passenger side manifold.

A video to wrap it all up ...
Untitled by Team Limer, on Flickr

This has been a long time in the making and I'm very happy with the results. Thanks, Mark and Matt!

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Gbeck; 06-27-2019 at 07:34 PM.
post #119 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:55 PM
FFCars Captain

Glenn,
That looks really good. You could terminate the pipes behind the banana vents and no one would know they are even there. Then mount the side pipes for a stock look.
BTW no video just a pic.

John
Gbeck thanked this.

post #120 of 125 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the heads-up, John. I fixed the link for the video. My other videos were hosted by You Tube but this one is on Flickr. Please let me know if there are any problems with it.

I misspoke near the end of the video. I meant to say that to my knowledge this is the first Type 65 Coupe with a Coyote where the exhaust runs under the car.

Yeah, I'm not sure what sort of tailpipe I'll end up with. We'll see what would work when the body is back on. I've had a few thoughts about it including running it through the kidney beans (or bananas or whatever). Venting all that exhaust gas into the Kamm cove would probably mess up the aero. But I won't be racing this thing anyway.

2006 Mustang GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement