Building Coupe 674 - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 19Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 117 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hereís a little video I put together a couple of days before I finished the frame mods. There a few good shots of the entire frame. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/J6WVHoKQdhA

I'm Glenn. Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mustang GT
Rally North America "Team Limer".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe: Gen 2 Coyote, TKO-600, T-bird IRS with 3.55 Torsen diff.

This year's RNA event supports Camp Sunshine whose mission is to provide respite for families of children with life threatening illnesses. See "Team Limer" on FB for info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did a little bench work while waiting for the frame to be done at the paint shop. I closed up and painted the diff, partially assembled the pedal box and fit up all four corners of the suspension (It's that pile of stuff on the bench).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0747 - Copy.jpg (243.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0748 - Copy.jpg (234.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0749 - Copy.jpg (234.6 KB, 50 views)

2006 Mustang GT

This year's RNA event supports Camp Sunshine whose mission is to provide respite for families of children with life threatening illnesses. See "Team Limer" on FB for info. Thanks!
post #33 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:16 PM
FFCars Captain

Nice vid Glenn. I remember sending the frame off to powder coat after the frame mods where done. Thatís a big one because when you get it back now, itís time for assembly!

John

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Red face

The frame is back from the paint shop, and i love it! GCR's Auto Collision Inc in Dalmatia PA did a fine job.

Yes, John. I'm looking forward to doing some assembly work now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.jpg (253.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0753.jpg (258.3 KB, 60 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #35 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 04:05 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Send a message via AIM to CJBergquist
Let the fun begin....enjoy.

Chris

If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >>

FFR#0441CP
Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Jeff Miller Paint

Delivered 4/29/09
First Start 3/28/11
Licensed 10/1/12
Finished : Is it ever finished?
post #36 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Starting the Chassis Mock Up

I started mocking up the chassis. Since I made a lot of changes in the frame I'm sure that I will need to make lots of changes in the aluminum as well.

The first step was to install the front suspension, the pedal box, and the steering. As others have mentioned, I had to do a little shimming to get the pedal box's vertical support to bolt down to the 3/4" tubes properly.

Then I installed the aluminum for the firewall, foot boxes and the floors. I also dropped in the heat/ac box. I'm using the driver foot box piece from the 2BKing sheet metal buy (a few years ago) that should give enough room for the Coyote heads between the foot boxes.

I'm going to need fabricate a few pieces for the firewall, both foot boxes and both floors. All of this looks to be manageable.

The aluminum in the trunk will need a lot of changes too. More later!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (23.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (25.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (24.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg image4.jpg (22.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg image5.jpg (27.4 KB, 65 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #37 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I didn't get much done this week because I had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome and a trigger finger. Things are healing up so well that I decided to get back in the garage for a bit.
I made a start on the changes to the aluminum in the cockpit. I trimmed the floor piece so it could be riveted to the frame and did a cardboard template for the new pieces at the outside corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0782.jpg (244.3 KB, 65 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #38 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Send a message via AIM to CJBergquist
I like the carpet selection you picked.

Chris

If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >>

FFR#0441CP
Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Jeff Miller Paint

Delivered 4/29/09
First Start 3/28/11
Licensed 10/1/12
Finished : Is it ever finished?
post #39 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 07:15 PM

Glenn:

Don't forget that the corner piece you are mocking up with cardboard goes in AFTER the body is installed. I screwed that up on mine. I installed it along with all of my other cockpit aluminum and wondered why it didn't quite fit. I rammed it into place with some modification and did not realize until later that this piece is meant to go over the fiberglass of the body. Since mine was thoroughly siliconed and riveted I just left my mistake but I still need to figure out how to weatherproof that corner (as any water kicked up by the rear wheel will want to track down the fiberglass wheel well and into the cockpit.

Just a heads up... maybe you already have this figured out!

Keith
Coupe 648
post #40 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 PM
FFCars Captain

Mine is done the same as Keith. Just have to weatherize the seam I guess.

John

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI

post #41 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the heads-up guys. I probably would have made the same mistake!

I'm envious of you that are so far down the track ahead of me. But I'm surely enjoying the process.

2006 Mustang GT

post #42 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Aluminum Mock Up Continues

Here are pics of a few of the things I've been working on.
I really like the way the trunk floor is shaping up. There will be storage cubbies in the rear corners and the rear trunk wall will be removable. The well in the rear will be about 5" deeper than original. The cover over the fuel tank fittings will take some of this space away, but I should be able to drop the tank a bit to minimize that.
I also added a big access panel to the driver's footbox. Working in that area will be a lot easier because I'll be able to get both hands in there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (249.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (240.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (243.3 KB, 55 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #43 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:22 PM
FFCars Captain

Glenn,

If I had to do the driver foot box top over again, I would 've put a double hinge on the top bar and made both sides flip up like gullwing doors. Suppose I could still do that, but I'm trying to get done!!!

John
Gbeck thanked this.

post #44 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 PM

Glenn:

I like the size of your driver's side access panel. I made mine too small ... I can just squeeze one hand in there but it is better than nothing. It was good to be able to shine a flashlight in there and reach in there is I did all the wiring and troubleshooting. I hope I will be able to adjust my brake bias!

It looks like you will have clearance where the body cross that area ... mine was close but I can just get my screws in place (I used rivnuts and I had to cut one screw short to get clearance).

Your trunk looks huge! No excuses now ... you will have to drive your Coupe to Costco for sure!

Keith
Coupe 648
Gbeck thanked this.
post #45 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys!
Since I didn't buy my drive train yet the decision of clutch quadrant vs. clutch master cylinder hasn't been made yet. With those big openings I should be able to do either pretty easily even after the footbox is mounted permanently.
I have bigger plans than Costco for that trunk! The reason for all of this mod madness (trunk, doors, under-car exhaust) is road rallies. For several years I've been participating in multi-day, multi-state charity road rallies. The vision is to run this car cross-country in these events. Lots of storage capacity and some creature comforts are a must.
Check out the info in my signature for info about this summer's rally. It's gonna be one heck of an adventure for a great cause! (I hope this gentle plug doesn't run afoul of forum rules.)

2006 Mustang GT

post #46 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 04:27 PM
FFCars Captain

Cannon ball run!!!!

post #47 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 05:01 PM

I've seen pictures of his Mustang on-course at Talladega, so a Cannonball Run could be in his future.

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #48 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Waaaaay better than Cannonball run!
Traveling some of America's most interesting roads, historic sites, scenic vistas and challenging tracks. All while in the company of over 100 of the most interesting people you could ever meet and raising money for a worthy cause.
What more could a gear head ask for? Join us!

PS: There's a video of some Talladega laps on my Facebook page. Enjoy!

2006 Mustang GT

post #49 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:12 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeck View Post
Waaaaay better than Cannonball run!
Traveling some of America's most interesting roads, historic sites, scenic vistas and challenging tracks. All while in the company of over 100 of the most interesting people you could ever meet and raising money for a worthy cause.
What more could a gear head ask for? Join us!

PS: There's a video of some Talladega laps on my Facebook page. Enjoy!
Sounds like something we should do with a plethora of coupes some time!!

John

post #50 of 117 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After a few weeks and a few interruptions I finished the mock up of the cockpit aluminum. My changes to the trunk floor, door openings and firewall meant that I had to alter a few original parts and make up a lot of parts from scratch. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Attached are a few overview pics.

And here's a wrap-up video ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0791.jpg (235.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0792.jpg (237.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.jpg (239.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (237.3 KB, 40 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #51 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The next step is permanently mounting the aluminum panels. But first I needed to get the pedal box and differential in place for the LAST time.

I read the instructions three times, but I'm still not sure that I got the clearances between the clevises and pedal at the balance bar correct. At the .020-.025" clearance per the instructions the clevises bind when the balance bar is at it's maximum angle. Perhaps the max angle will never happen when the system is pressurized. I'll have to be sure to check this later.

I used a hoist, a floor jack and a couple of ratchet straps to wrestle the differential into place.

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Gbeck; 04-10-2018 at 03:05 AM.
post #52 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was doing final fitment and drilling of the passenger side footbox and double checking my work against the manual. That's when I realized that the manual's instructions are for a floor that is dropped by 2" in the passenger footbox, but my passenger floor is flat.
It looks like a good idea and not too difficult to do. So I guess I'll be bending a little more metal!

2006 Mustang GT

post #53 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Cleco, drill, silicone, cleco , rivet ... repeat, repeat, repeat ...

2006 Mustang GT

post #54 of 117 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbeck View Post
Cleco, drill, silicone, cleco , rivet ... repeat, repeat, repeat ...
My wife told me I mumbled that in my sleep for weeks

John

post #55 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Riveting done!

It's been over a month. Life insisted that other things get my attention.

Since my last update i finished riveting the cockpit aluminum, hung the front suspension, steering and rear suspension to check clearances and sealed up all of the cockpit aluminum.

The front sway bar brackets have to be welded in since the frame didn't have a clear area for bolting it in place. Also, I'm not thrilled with the position and angle of the steering shaft. I have half a mind to move the lower bearing about an inch to the right. It would center the wheel and allow room for a modern steering column. That might be something to do later, after the engine and exhaust placement are done.

I'm really happy with the way the firewall turned out. Nice and neat! It's moved forward quite a bit. With the engine located forward about 2 inches from its normal position there should be plenty of room there. And there's tons of room behind the dash!

The rear outer cockpit walls had to be remade because the striker plate was relocated rearward to make room the the extended door openings.The striker plate is removable, making it pretty easy to lift off the body. Space around the rear wheels is a little tight but should be adequate.

The extra trunk space is going to come in handy for extended road trips and rallies. And the rear trunk wall is removable for easy access to the rear body mounts and the lighting in the tail.

Next up will be applying Lizard Skin sound deadener and ceramic insulation to the outside of the cockpit. I know that it's more usual to apply it to the inside. But keeping the heat and vibration out of the frame in the first place (rather than trying to block it after it is already in the frame) just makes sense to me.

2006 Mustang GT

post #56 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Looks good. I'm having the same problem with other things getting my attention :-)

Keep up the great work.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Eaton Super Charged 306 SBF, T5 G-Force, IRS.
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
post #57 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I’ve done probably a dozen dashboard mockups since I got this kit. Now that all of the aluminum is in place I have a pretty clear picture of how the cockpit will feel.
Here’s my latest dash concept in cardboard. It should be neat, clean, easy to make and easy to maintain.
Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30A008D8-189F-4E90-A32B-1B1081FEA712_1528232983960.jpg (16.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 49160D2A-A8EC-43AB-A271-BA43378140C4_1528233100886.jpg (16.2 KB, 47 views)

2006 Mustang GT

post #58 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 09:20 PM
FFCars Captain

Make sure you put your steering wheel on and see how well you can read the gauges. If that is of no issue then consider this message to self destruct in 10,9,8,7....

John

post #59 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Glenn,

I put my removable steering wheel on upside down while driving to see the gauges much better. I wish we had made removable panels for the instruments so we would have almost unlimited access to the wiring. And some kind of light so you can find the switches at night would be nice.

Glen

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #60 of 117 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 10:32 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Can't wait to see it in aluminum.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Eaton Super Charged 306 SBF, T5 G-Force, IRS.
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement