Surfdog57's Gen 3 (#12) build journal. - Page 14 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 71Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #391 of 402 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

With a little nudge from the John George crew, I have settled on the solution to my brake issues being a full set of front and rear floating rotors. So, off will come my wilwood hats and rotors and on go stoptech as used on John Georgeís awesome racer.

Something like this:

Ordering of the parts has begun. Stay tuned for results and maybe a few install notes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 402 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:53 AM
Logan
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
......WOW.

What a build thread!! Like a book I couldn't stop reading until I finished!! I have many questions, but the first is....what wheels and tires are you running? Not often you hear the phrase "Too much front grip". Specs please, if you're able to provide... I'm trying to figure out fitment for the Gen 3 Coupe-R chassis. I know you have several sets of wheels and tires, so the specs for the biggest/widest ones would be the target here since anything smaller will obviously fit as well or better. Something like this:

Wheel diameter (front) =
Wheel width (front) =
Wheel offset (front) =
Wheel spacer thickness (front) =
Tire size (front) =

Wheel diameter (rear) =
Wheel width (rear) =
Wheel offset (rear) =
Wheel spacer thickness (rear) =
Tire size (rear) =

Also, keep us posted on how the floating rotors work out. I assume you're sticking with the Wilwood calipers (for now) and just doing the rotor upgrade?

Thanks for creating and maintaining this build thread, it is flat out amazing what you've got here...VERY impressive

SurfDog57 thanked this.

Logan

FFR Fanatic Since 1995
Ordered 4/22: Type 65-R
2017 Mustang GT PP #95
post #393 of 402 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

I basically run two setups on wheels.

For shows and fooling around the hills, Factory five replica wheels with spacers (1/2 inch in front to get over my bigger front rotor and 2 inch in back for proper appearance mostly).

Toyo r888r 275 front 315 x18 rear.

My rear race wheels are Advan RSDF 18X11+15. I think I posted the rear rims above in earlier post with part numbers.

The fronts are my old 370Z square fit advan 18s running 275 width. I believe they are 15 mm offset but donít actually remember (they rubbed when I ran them in the back as a test) I think they are Advan RSDF 18x10+15. Iíll check.

No spacers required up front but inner fender lip trimming is needed at a 3 inch ride hight (see post above) the Advan ďspokesď arch around the calipers unlike the halibrands which are flat and rub the caliper without a small spacer.

275 front, 315 rear. Also running Toyo r888r which have shown amazing durability on hard track use so far. Also at size 18x315, choices are limited. These are great for street and track so far.

Switching to floating rotors should not change my fitment.

If your just tracking the 12.88 big brake kit might be good as willwood makes a floating hat for that rig. (Is recommend buying from willwood to prevent biting the hats twice (floating and non floating as on the FFR Kit).

You can actually get the 12.88 parts from willwood by selecting factory five Gen 3 coupe on the willwood drop down menus!!!

I upgraded the from rotors to 14x1.25 which are huge for enduro. Maybe overkill for shorter races.

The guys at factory five rolled their eyes a bit when I told them I was going bigger up front. Remember the car is pretty light and admit I might be a bit over-braked. Given that Iím going to have to have custom floating hats fabbed up to fit the front, it is definitely going to be a pricey upgrade from the plug and play willwood solution. Also the thicker calipers up front necessitate a small spacer (1/4 inch would work in my case on the halibrand replica wheels.). The 12.88 brake option in front would not require a spacer.

I havenít run hard on track with aero yet as Iím trying to get non aero balance sorted first. That will definitely amp up the braking and spindle flexing forces.

Stay tuned and Iíll let you know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Willwood makes a floating hat in the 12.88 size (rear FFR big brake kit). It is on the rears. It was just a hat with floating bolts on my original rotor ďshoeĒ. (The steel part)

I had a floating ďshoeĒ fabbed up with matching floating hardware for the front. 1.25 thick 14 inch rotor. It will work with my original hat.

So. In front I replace the rotor to get it to float and in the back I replaced the hat. I know itís all very odd.

Iíll run the coupe Friday and see if my knock back issue is solved. If not, the next step will be to upgrade my front spindles. (They seem a bit flimsy)

In other news I showed the coupe at a car show in Denver, and it was well received.

Shown here next to a ďcontinuationĒ coupe.
post #395 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Surfdog57's Gen 3 (#12) build journal.

Other shots from recent days

(71 Farrari Daytona)

Last edited by SurfDog57; 06-12-2019 at 02:47 AM.
post #396 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Track testing revealed too much boost with the power steering even at lowest flow rate to the rack. So... manual rack is back in.

Itís a bit rough around parking lots but better at speed (better feel and feedback)

My advice having run both on track and streets is use manual rack for track build and power setup for a show or street car/weekend cruiser.
post #397 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM
FFCars Captain

Nice shots of the car show. Was that a Superformance next to your car?
Those air jacks are the bomb!

John
SurfDog57 thanked this.

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #398 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Superformance yes. Cool car. The air jacks are great especially when the front aero is on. (Itís hard to get a jack under there and necessary to lift front end to get hood open with aero installed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #399 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM
FFCars Captain

You should make us a little video of the car being raised and lowered!

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #400 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

https://youtu.be/DyWXN1eYMzs

Hereís one from the day I was playing with the pressure on my nitrogen tanks. (It goes up a wee bit faster now. 420 psi seems like the sweet spot.)

John Dol thanked this.
post #401 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:39 AM
Logan
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
@SurfDog57 So to recap regarding Wilwood brakes.... they have an off-the-shelf 2-piece floating rotor setup. It's 12.88" diameter, and exists on the rear of your Coupe. This floating rotor could be used on both front and rear of the coupe with the SAME calipers front and rear also. (Making spares easy, as you'd only need a spare left and right rotor/caliper, since that would cover both sides front and rear). They do not offer an off-the-shelf floating 14" rotor, based on what I'm hearing...which is why you had a set custom made by Wilwood, which you're using for the front of your Coupe?

Second question; you mentioned upgrading the potentially flimsy FFR front spindles. These spindles are a custom design from FFR, and the only other option that has been used is the old Mustang donor stuff, none of which is even as good as the FFR spindles anyway. So to truly "Upgrade" the front spindles, you'd have to go custom again. Any ideas here? I can't see adapting an S550 Mustang front spindle (something I thought about once) because those use MacPherson strut front suspension, not easily adaptable to the double A-arms of the Coupe.

Nice pics!!!

Logan

FFR Fanatic Since 1995
Ordered 4/22: Type 65-R
2017 Mustang GT PP #95
post #402 of 402 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Correct on the brakes, except willwood is not making my front rotor itís a different shop.

Iím looking into spindle options but will not move forward if floating the rotors fixes my knockback.

Iíll give specs and info on those spindles if I move forward on them.

I think the 12.88 rotor will be fine for most guys. Iím sort of kicking my own ass by upgrading like I did, but in the end the upgraded brakes should be very good for the endurance stuff Iím building toward.

Probably unnecessary for more normal track day car.

(The same guys who fabbed my rotors I think made the ďFFRĒ spindles so they should be able to come up with a stouter design. Weíll see)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement