JimS Daytona SC Build - Page 10 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 76Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #271 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Last set of pictures

Here's the last of them for now. I still need to disassemble the doors and put on the side mirrors, window seals, and speakers. I have to install the speakers in the rear hatch area too, and also install the radio and heater control panel. Then work on getting the front bonnet done, but it's getting there and Jim is a happy camper because I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190305_050314.jpg (242.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190305_050326.jpg (245.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190305_050345.jpg (251.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190305_050436 (1).jpg (248.5 KB, 62 views)

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Eaton Super Charged 306 SBF, T5 G-Force, IRS.
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:34 AM
FFCars Captain

Well worth the wait Jim, very nice indeed!
All the hard work pays off when paint and upholstery make it look like it was in your head.

John

JimS thanked this.

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #273 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:06 AM

Garage
Stunning!
JimS thanked this.

I'm Glenn. Find me at "Team Limer" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 Mustang GT
Rally North America "Team Limer".

Gen 2 Type 65 Coupe: Gen 2 Coyote, TKO-600, T-bird IRS with 3.55 Torsen diff.

This year's RNA event supports Camp Sunshine whose mission is to provide respite for families of children with life threatening illnesses. See "Team Limer" on FB for info. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
That looks really good! I like the mix and use of colors in the interior to accent and with the seat centers.
JimS thanked this.

Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder
post #275 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:14 AM
FFCars Craftsman

awesome Jim.. congrats mate..
JimS thanked this.

Coupe 65 #646

Ordered - 28 May, 2014.
Delivery, Sydney - 18 August.
Fabrication and recoating complete - 25 October
Assembly commenced -27 October
Engine installed - 18 December 2014
Engine running - October 2015
First gokart - December 2015

TR6060, LS3 motor, IRS, Willwood brake upgrade, three channel ABS, 17'' replica rims, sat nav / stereo, Motec PDM and keypad, AC, adjustable steering column,
post #276 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. It's been a long time coming. On April 20th it will be 9 years in the works. I never imagined that it would take me this long, but life gets in the way and has a way of dragging things out. Along the way I've had people ask me "when is the finish date, what's the deadline" to which I replied "I don't have one". Maybe it's not the greatest plan to not have a deadline, but I didn't want that pressure of knowing I would be letting myself down and others and then continuously explaining why it was taking so long: I built a deck, built a back patio/fire pit area, remolded our kitchen, mud room, and added a family room above the garage, 3 boys playing sports, and oh yes, I veered far off from the path that FFR intended for these cars. All that said, I'm glad that I added the things I did to this car to make it unique and to make it my own. I'm glad that I did all the work myself other than the upholstery, which of course made the journey longer. It's been a interesting, frustrating, tiring, fun and rewarding journey, which at times didn't seem like it was going to end. I can't wait to get things finished up and start driving.

Thank you for all of the knowledge sharing and the praises and the help along the way it means a lot to me.

I'll keep you up to date as things are getting finished up.
WIS89 thanked this.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
JimS Custom made headers, Mufflers, SC Intake, Power Windows, Dash board, ETC... :-)
post #277 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Wow. The doors and overhead console are beautiful and one of a kind. Everything came out really nice. Agree, it's about the journey, learning and doing things how you want. Deadlines are for work, not for a fun project like this. Keep enjoying it. Congrats Jim.
JimS thanked this.

FFR#629CP
Kit picked up: 1/4/2014
First start & Go Kart: 9/13/2015
Finished: 5/8/2017

post #278 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Awesome indeed! It just looks RIGHT. Great execution on the entire project.
JimS thanked this.
post #279 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtlw View Post
Awesome indeed! It just looks RIGHT. Great execution on the entire project.

Thank you. I've tried really hard to lay things out so they look right together from interior layout to interior colors. I actually looked for hours to try and find the right hazard warning switch that would look right in the dash. It's out of an old BMW. I've done the same on the engine compartment. I powder coated a lot of things black mini texture to give it more of a factory look and tame it down rather than leaving things aluminum color or polished aluminum. Same thing on the hoses, using the black braided hose and black fittings rather than the stainless steel braided hose and the blue and red fittings. The valve covers I couldn't help myself, I just thought Blue would make them pop a little :-)
Just little things to try and make it look more factory than race car look.

Anyway I'll try to give another update soon. I got the doors back together and I'll post some pictures of how I attached the weather striping for the windows and how it looks with the speakers in place and mirrors on.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
post #280 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 PM

This looks and sounds really really good!

JimS thanked this.
post #281 of 288 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:20 PM
Senior Charter Member

Jim, The car looks fantastic! All your time and skills have come to fruition.

Coupe #641 started 6/19/14. Levy stage 4 347, Super Alloy T5, FAST EFI, IRS, Willwoods, Fast Freddie's EHPS, Custom Carbon dash. More mods to come I'm sure.
MK 3.1 Roadster #4759 completed 2005, 4.6 sohc,Bullits, Willwoods, ABS, Hydroboost, A dream to drive and auto cross !
post #282 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Long time since last update

I know its been a few months since my last update. I've been busy finishing things up. I finished spraying the last 3 coats of clear on the front bonnet and finished wet sanding and buffing that out. Finished buffing out the rest of the car. I put the radio and heater control panel in. Put in the back speakers and the door speakers. I got the hood mounted, then installed the head lights, fog lights, and running lights. I've been working on the engine tune and I'm getting closer. I can drive the car now, but can't do any full throttle runs so I still need to be careful, but it's getting there.

Here's the first set of pictures of the interior:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190501_191628.jpg (247.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190501_191605.jpg (248.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190501_191621.jpg (248.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190501_191704.jpg (245.7 KB, 24 views)
WIS89 thanked this.

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
post #283 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Cool Graduation pictures

Here's some pictures of it outside and looking mean

I will try to make a walk around video soon and post it for you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coupe in Black and white_cropped.jpg (138.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190708_140739.jpg (252.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg MVIMG_20190708_140714.jpg (246.8 KB, 26 views)

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
post #284 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:29 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Jim-

The car looks amazing! I really love that interior!! The two tone leather works very nicely, and the wood trim really works well.

Congratulations on a wonderful build!I am very impressed and seriously jealous!!

Regards,

Steve
JimS thanked this.
post #285 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

awsome job, looks great
David W
JimS thanked this.

FFR-4874 Mk ll, 3 bar coilovers, 5.0 with Edelbrock heads, RPM ll intake, 70mm TB, 24lb injectors, bullit replicas. Registered Aug 04, Lexus Indigo ink, silver stripes. Dec 06 POM
Gen 3 coupe #16, Dart 363 TKO600 Wilwood's IRS - registered Sept 18 and off to paint.
post #286 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:34 PM
FFCars Captain

Awesome Jim, Congrats on a great looking car!

John
JimS thanked this.

Building when I can, sigh....

Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Fast EZ EFI
First start Sept. 18 2013
First go kart Sept 19 2013

post #287 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 PM

Jim,

Absolutely outstanding. I love how you left the window down just an inch or so.

Glen
JimS thanked this.

Coupe 0652-408W/510 hp-TKO600 .64OD-3.73 TractionLok-3 Link-26x10 front 26x12 15" Mickey Thompson-Heat and A/C- Complete Kit-First Start 7/10/15 First Go Kart 8/15/15 Painted 11/12/16 Titled and Registered 3/24/17 Legally on the road 4/20/17
post #288 of 288 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Thank you

Thanks guys!
I know I promised a video, which I'm still going to do, I've just been busy with little things on the car. I'm sorting out my AC. I bought a set of gauges and got the system vacuumed and filled, but when I was filling it, I realized that my compressor wasn't turning on, so I had to jump it to finish filling the system. Now I'm tracking down the problem. I'm using a 97' Ford Explorer ECM (EEC V) (This is what the engine came out of)
I have the ground from the coil of my AC relay hooked to the pin on the ECM that grounds when you go to WOT, but I missed the fact that there is a 12volt input that has to go into the ECM also that tell the ECM that the head pressure sensors haven't opened do to problems with the pressures. So I'm getting ready to run an Ignition 12volt source to that, to satisfy the ECM. Without that input it keeps the coil side of the relay grounded, which is bad because the relay is a normally closed relay that keeps power to the compressor until the computer sees WOT then it grounds the coil side of the relay, which powers the relay and opens it to break the compressor side of the circuit and shuts the compressor off.

Also I found that my ECM coolant temp sensor and my gauge coolant temp sensor weren't far enough down into the coolant stream in my thermostat housing manifold. <<< (what I designed and built for my SC intake) Where they screwed in from the top, the coupler/mounting boss was too high, so they weren't down into the stream and probably were in an air pocket which was causing them to read hotter than the engine was running. So I took the thermostat manifold off and machined the bosses down and re-tapped the pipe thread deeper so the sensor would sit down into the stream of coolant and have an accurate reading. I haven't ran it long enough to tell if this helped, but it should have fixed the problem.
Once I get the 12volt ignition wire run to the AC input on the ECM I can test everything out.
I still need to have the car's front alignment re-checked again and maybe add a little more caster, it seems a little darty or twitchy. If the toe is still good (1/16 deg negative toe) I'll add a 1/2 to 1 degree more caster. I still have manual steering so I don't want to get too crazy with positive caster or it will be harder to steer. Maybe I'll add a Saturn electric power steering unit someday.
I still need to put my aluminum inner fender/splash guards in place, but wanted to wait until alignment is re-checked and things are sorted out.

So anyway, that's the update and I promise to get the video taken in the next week or so.

Oh yes, and Glen, I was hoping someone would notice the window slightly down teaser

Jim

FFR Coupe # 487
Sponsored Links
Advertisement