Extended Lever for MGW T-5 Shifter - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Extended Lever for MGW T-5 Shifter

As you may recall, we are using an Astro Performance A-5 for No. 410, which is a beefed up T-5. I think the MGW billet short throw shifter is the best design on the market, so I really wanted to use it in the coupe.

However, there is no mid-shift location on the T-5 case, and after determining driver's seat location, the shifter handle was too far back for quick and comfortable shifting. Here's a pic with the MGW handle, turned forward. Its billet aluminum, and looks great but too far back.

I've seen, as I'm sure you have, all kinds of approaches to solving that problem, most of them ugly, involving linkages, etc. None of those were very appealing.

Unlike a stock T-5, Pro 5.0, Steeda, UPR, etc. shifter, which attach the handle to the shifter with two bolts and nuts on a flat bar, the MGW uses a pinch bolt on a round shaft.

Enter my talented colleague Fast Freddie, who came up with the best and most elegant solution I have yet seen to the problem of using T-5s in an FFR. Working with a fellow autocrosser who has a parts design shop, he came up with this extended billet shift handle:

There was a minimum quantity on the order, so he had to get several. He polished one, and had powdercoated a couple of others, one in satin black, and the other in the charcoal finish we are using for the main elements of the dash.

I like the Dash color best, and that's the one we're using. The location is now perfect -- close to the plane of the wheel for quick shifts.

They came out great, and express the design imperative of No. 410 -- function first, and functional is beautiful. There are a few left over, so let me know if anyone wants one.

Ben Lambiotte
FFR Type 65 No. 410
"Bottom Dollar" Coupe
Ford Racing Boss 363

Last edited by Ben Lambiotte; 01-10-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:55 AM

I like the idea of a linkage as long as it is all under the tunnel.
This allows the shifter to be exactly where you want it w/o changing the throw.
I forgot the member's name that did this though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg T5 SHIFTER RELOCATION.jpg (74.7 KB, 168 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:19 PM
In the home stretch....
FFCars Captain

Ben - That is EXACTLY what I was planning on doing, but was wondering about the handle and the availability of a longer one. Do you want to sell the black handle? If so, PM me with a price.

Thanks,

John

Coupe #307 - 5-link, SAI mod, Levy DA Koni's, Levy bumpsteer, 6-piston Wilwood's in front, 4-piston in rear, Forte/Wilwood pedal assy, hybrid 8.8/9" rear end, VPM front bar, VPM/own design variable rear bar, and lot of other little things so far........

"Did you use ANYTHING that came with the kit???"
- The Wife

Build photos here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Ask Fred. PM Fred K, a forum member. I'm sure he's looking to unload the extra ones.

MGW is an awesome shifter, and the reach and throw of this handle is perfect.

Ben Lambiotte
FFR Type 65 No. 410
"Bottom Dollar" Coupe
Ford Racing Boss 363
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM
In the home stretch....
FFCars Captain

Thanks Ben - Fred PM'd me right after....

Coupe #307 - 5-link, SAI mod, Levy DA Koni's, Levy bumpsteer, 6-piston Wilwood's in front, 4-piston in rear, Forte/Wilwood pedal assy, hybrid 8.8/9" rear end, VPM front bar, VPM/own design variable rear bar, and lot of other little things so far........

- The Wife

Build photos here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Master Craftsman

UGHhhhhhhhh! I JUST mailed my MGW shifter back 2 days ago because the handle was too short to work in my roadster!!!! I wonder if this one would have worked okay for me!? Is the coupe and the roadster about the same in that regard? Man, what a bummer. I was really hoping to use that shifter. But now I think I'm going to run a mid-shift instead. I only wish they made a mid-shift for the 3550...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Sorry Mike,
It would work great, and it shifts better than the pro 5.0 midshift I have in my car. Maybe they can credit you for their lever and send you the shifter back. The swivel aspect is really nice too.
Fredk
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

What Fred means is that you can pivot the knob off center, which brings it even closer to the wheel and hand (less distance means less time, right?), and you can put it where you want it. I forgot to mention that.

That, the great looks of this piece, and the workmanship and shifting quality of the MGW shifter makes me miss a midshift not at all.

TKO, TKO? We don't need no stinkin' TKO!

Ben Lambiotte
FFR Type 65 No. 410
"Bottom Dollar" Coupe
Ford Racing Boss 363
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 PM
In the home stretch....
FFCars Captain

You guys are awesome.... One more dilemma crossed off of my build list. I really wanted a T5 and a MGW shifter, but thought I'd have to make my own handle. Mine is already on the way from Fred...

- The Wife

Build photos here:

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 04:47 PM

Very nice work, I did something similar but did not have access to a mill so had to make due with hand tools. Had thought about going back to MGW to see if they could make a longer one but am glad to see someone here has picked it up. I'm very happy with the throw also.

Cheers, Rod

"Can you imagine?!"

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. Here's one of it in place. Nice and clean.

Ben Lambiotte
FFR Type 65 No. 410
"Bottom Dollar" Coupe
Ford Racing Boss 363
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:52 AM

mgw shifter

Any chance you have one of these mgw shifter handlers left that you can sell? If so, send me a phone #/time I can call or, you can reach me at 423-279-1845 thanks Roger
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

you can order them directly on our website. We have satin black and the color above in stock. Just specify in the comments section.
FredK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement