Factory Five Racing Forum banner

EFI systems

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Bobby Doug 
#1 ·
I'm considering upgrading to a HOLLEY SNIPER or a SUMMIT MAX EFI.Would appreciate you guys
opinion.I now have a QUICKFUEL HR 680cfm on EDELBROCK PERFORMER intake.A Ford racing
302 with aluminium heads,that runs pretty well.Tends to run rich on hot&humid days ,runs great
on cooler days.I'm 800 feet above sea level.Would that be a big improvement?Are those systems
quite reliable ?Would I notice a improvement?
thanks again,they say it's an easy install.. Bob F

#2 ·
I've installed some Sniper units and think they do a great job. Partial to Holley, yes, but not changing. I run a Terminator and have also done a few HP stack systems and have had no issues with any.

The Sniper is a fairly simple install, but you will need a fuel pump (I prefer in-tank) and a return line to tank. The other small item is welding a bung (in kit) for the O2 sensor. I'd also suggest a cable "Y" to connect the LCD screen and laptop at the same time as well as getting the laptop connection cable.

I'd do a Sniper system (allow timing) which requires a distributor. If you don't have any CD box you can opt for their Hyperspark setup. That will add some cost to the system. If you have a CD box now, you can buy the Dual Sync (preference) or Hyperspark distributor and connect your system. To do a really good job you will most likely need to tailor the harness. If you go this route, and de-pinning and shortening harness wires would be required. Not hard to do, just patience.

You can still install the Sniper on a regular engine electrical setup. You will just have the same as you have with a carburetor without the ECU controlling timing.

As for performance, I think it'll be a big improvement on driving and performance. jmo

#3 ·
There was just recently another thread on throttle Body EFI. I posted my experiences with the FITECH system.

I agree, you should run better, as a properly set up EFI is much more flexible than a carb.
And your motor is relatively mild, so that will help

#4 ·
I’ve had the FiTech on my 306 for almost 3 years, very happy with it. I’m running an Edlebrock rpm performer manifold and ford e cam, MSD e curve distributor, no box. Very well mannered, to drive. Have gone from sea level to the mountains of North Carolina, runs great.

Best of luck whichever way you go

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.