Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Just another heater question

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Norm B 
#1 ·
Finished installing my heater and was wondering if anyone else decided not to install the defroster vents. If so can these duct openings be blocked to give more heat to the footbox vents? I couldn't find anything like this in my forum searches.

#2 ·
Yes, that is what I did, with the exception of using all four outlets. I just put pieces of duct to various locations and secured the ends so they pointed to the footwells. Didn't worry about grilles/louvers as the ends are out of sight. Heater works brilliantly.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

#3 ·
Reactions: Redfish and pbohrs
#4 ·
I've done several cars with heater/defrost and have configured them a few different ways depending on the owner's preference. The thing is that unless the heater is moved forward it is virtually impossible to fit a defrost boot and hose on the passenger side. I've done some like you mentioned that are heat only with the upper ports blocked. Others got a shallow plenum under the cowl for defrost to both sides with it being fed in the center by the LH upper outlet and the right side blocked (this is only marginally effective). A few others have gotten a boot on the driver's side that is functional and fed from the left with the right side capped and a dummy grille installed on the passenger side.

HTH,
Jeff

#9 ·
I'm also in PA, and PA does requite some sort of windshield de-fog. (or at least did when mine was first titled and approved. Wipers too.)

I bought Southern Rods mini-heater, similar to a Triumph small unit. Made a custom plenum under the dash, and put in two vents that are a rotating ball, so I can either direct the air at a specific place, or rotate them closed, so it forces all the air out vents aimed into the footboxes.

Reactions: pbohrs
#10 ·
I stand corrected, but my car was already registered when I bought it. I was concerned when it came time for inspection and had my inspection mechanic look it up. He said he couldn't find anything and since it already passed the "enhanced inspection" for state registration he passed it.
Now you've got me a little concerned again. If I have to I can always just install the defrost on the drivers side only.

#12 ·
Took the beast out for a ride today. (I have a soft top with curtains) 30 degrees and the heater was really working well. Unfortunately I must have a ton of air leaks, because while I had hot air blowing on me, I could feel the cold drafts from many other places. I guess that will be my next project. Seems like there's a lot coming from the firewall, foot boxes a little. Any thought on re-sealing joints?

#13 ·
I was thinking of using the plenum from North Racecars North Racecars Other Items . However, i know the clearance has got to be tight. I am brainstorming how to make something flexible that is shaped like a rectangular flat trough (same concept) that will give it it hits something, and not squeak.

If I we're to do this all over again, I would have done a few things to make this an easier job.

#14 ·

Attachments

#15 ·
Here's my system that fit fully underdash, no glove box

#16 ·
Sorry for the late reply. I was away for work and couldn't access my old photos from the build. To get defrost air to the passenger side was a challenge. I had moved the heater forward 2 inches by constructing a box out on the firewall to mount it on. This allowed for a 3 inch deep glove box but, left very little room for ducting air for defrost. I modified the supplied duct by cutting it off and forming a connection out of 1 1/4 inch ABS pipe. There are louvres inside the duct to direct the air up onto the windshield. Here are a couple of pictures.

HTH

Norm

Footwear
Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Automotive lighting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.