95 / Mini-Starter Wiring - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
95 / Mini-Starter Wiring

Converting my MKII to a 1995 Ford Mini with the solenoid. Still have the remote solenoid and a Push-button with battery feed for the "S" terminal, so I can spin it any time.

Researching wiring. Some diagrams show retaining the solenoid and now using it for the "S" wire to eliminate any feedback. Battery Feed is of course direct.

For those who have converted, how did you re-wire?

I have no ignition switch, so ignore that area. I have a simple toggle switch to feed the ignition and other engine circuits. I have a simple push-button that feeds from the battery, and the power once pushed, is currently directed to the "S" on the solenoid. I was planning on sending this wire instead directly to the solenoid on the new starter. Yes or no?

Other additional notes:
331 SBF, had traditional starter.
Wiring harness is an old AAW, but modified in some places for my car. Starter system is exact like a 1965-73 Mustang.

Please tell my your wiring and any advice

Many Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM

I did the same thing years ago. For simplicity, this is how I did it:

- Looking at the front of the fender solenoid, the battery cable connects to the left side, and the cable to the starter connects to the right side.

- Move the right cable to the left side, so both heavy cables connect to the same post.

- Connect a 10g gauge wire to the now empty right side of the solenoid to the 10g wire at the starter.

- Parts needed: Ring connector, short piece of 10g wire.

Done.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
HPDE Instructor
FFR 3691K: Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.
BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 speed auto, Edelbrock Blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:45 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

this is how Ford recommends wiring an older Mustang when upgrading to a mini-starter.
mini-starterwiring by craig stuard, on Flickr
You are basically turning the firewall solenoid into a huge starter relay. I can't explain how or why exactly, but a long time ago I helped a friend w/ a mkI that had started life w/ the old starter and the starter had been upgraded to a mini-starter but the wiring left the same. So there were two solenoids in series. She was having slow crank/no start problems. Another friend and I went there, she showed us the slow crank. We spent maybe 15 minutes rewiring per the pic from Ford. No other changes. She turned the key, it cranked like crazy and then fired up. You could delete the firewall solenoid but that depends if the starter switch can carry the load of the solenoid or not. I suspect it can since it operates the firewall solenoid OK. But that would also delete a real convenient place to get power which most of our old cars have taken advantage of.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Put in the 95 starter, wired it just like Craig posted, works great for repeated cold starts. Now have to run it and try the torture-testing hot start.

With my wiring, I will ultimately remove the extra solenoid, since I have separated circuits, and a heavy duty PB starter switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement