Help with MKIV Hood Hinges - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Help with MKIV Hood Hinges

I have seen lots of posts with people trying to solve problems with their hood hinge installation but I haven't found a solution to the current problem I am having (which is driving me nuts and keeping me from getting out on the road to enjoy the car a bit while still in gel coat and before the weather turns here in NC).

My basic problem is the hood hinges, when closed, interfere with or "hit" the 3/4" frame to which the upper radiator is attached. This interference prevents the front of the hood from closing (see pics attached).

I have checked the instruction manual pictures and schematics as well as compared my set up to other build pictures but I am stumped.

Can you tell from my pictures if I am missing something obvious that is causing this or if I put the hinge components together incorrectly?

I have read that others have removed some of the hinge material to get clearance but I don't think that is an option for me given the amount of interference with the frame.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hood.jpg (208.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Radiator View.jpg (270.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Hinges.jpg (225.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Driver Side.jpg (234.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Pass Side.jpg (238.3 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 01:02 AM
FFCars Captain

Best I can tell the pieces are assembled correctly. Two things that I can suggest. Positive the body is in the correct location? Front to back and the hood outline should be 1/2 inch or so above the 3/4 inch chassis tube around the opening. If either is way off could be a problem. The other thing is it appears maybe your hinges are pulled down too low on the chassis mount. This might seem counter-intuitive. But the geometry on those hinges can be a little deceiving. If you loosen the bolts holding the hinges to the chassis mount just enough so that the whole assembly can move up and down, can you close the hood? Same with the front to back adjustment. Loosen and see if you can close the hood. In both cases, seeing if the hinge will find a position where it will close and not hit the radiator cross tube. That BTW is the best way to set those hinges. With the hood closed in the opening and then reach up from underneath and tighten the bolts. Easy to do with no engine. A little harder with an engine installed but still possible. I too have heard of people having to trim the hinge arms. But three Roadster builds I haven't had to.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 03:17 AM

Can you raise up the front Quick jack mounts on the outrigger arms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 03:18 AM

The point being to raise the body up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Today, 10:03 AM
Not a waxer

As has been said you have to raise the nose. You want to have about 1/2" or more between the underside of the body and the top surface of the frame tubes at the point where they angle down to the bumper mounting plates.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement