Missing a cylinder - please help me figure why - Page 3 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 10Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Bad EEC

The injectors are fired by a grounding Triac in the EEC. IF that Triac is bad, injector won't fire, plain and simple. Swapping injectors doesn't test the EEC, or for that matter, the salt-n-pepper connectors if they are still in the circuit.

The injector can be tested out of the car by connecting 12V to it and then grounding it, IF it "clicks", it's probable good. That takes us back to the EEC and those Triacs that perform the grounding. Has the EEC been opened up and checked? Burnt traces, burnt components . . .

Has the EEC been swapped out with a known good working unit?

Also, has the injector been removed and the fuel rail checked for any obstructions at the #8 port?

Maybe the rail is plugged up and there is fuel at the injector and the injector is firing but the fuel can't get there dues to some sort of debris in the line. Swapping injector wouldn't matter if the line is plugged.

Just trying to help . . .

Doc

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Thank you for the suggestions - Very much appreciated!
I have planned to take the afternoon off from work today, so I can work a bit more on it.
Since I have a different intake I want to put on it anyway, I will remove the lower intake and try to see if we can eliminate the lifters and intake gaskets as possible causes.
If no luck on that I will move on to the suggested ECU/wiring.

Build in progress: Roller [X] Engine in [X] First start [X] Go Cart [X] Body on [X] VIN Number/State inspection [X] Paint [X] Graduation [X] Done with upgrades [ ]

Mark III Roadster, 3 link, 3.55 rear, 302 EFI/w chip, AFR 165 1:1.7 roller, custom cam, 13" front 11.65" rear w. 45mm calipers custom brackets Porterfield R4-S, Dark Blue Ink w. silver stripes
post #63 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I, for one, will be really interested in what you find when you take the lower intake off. Remember to drain some coolant first. That's one of those don't ask me how I know things!

Norm

Mk 4 Base 7721, 302, Carb, T5, 355 traction lock, rear disc, heater, wipers, foot well vents, whitby soft top, dropped trunk floor and more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
I, for one, will be really interested in what you find when you take the lower intake off. Remember to drain some coolant first. That's one of those don't ask me how I know things!

Norm
Right - life is a great teacher!

Build in progress: Roller [X] Engine in [X] First start [X] Go Cart [X] Body on [X] VIN Number/State inspection [X] Paint [X] Graduation [X] Done with upgrades [ ]

Mark III Roadster, 3 link, 3.55 rear, 302 EFI/w chip, AFR 165 1:1.7 roller, custom cam, 13" front 11.65" rear w. 45mm calipers custom brackets Porterfield R4-S, Dark Blue Ink w. silver stripes
post #65 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Here is a video of the valves with the valve cover off. Number 8 is to the far right.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoFLJPBnL-megP5O1F8SZdsxZD9XUw

post #66 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

It looks like the intake gasket is intact:

Exhaust lifter seems fine also. The intake lifter did not want to come out. Guess there is not enough clearence on the AFR heads without grinding material away.

Is there anything else I can/should check while I am in here?

post #67 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:55 AM

Not that it changes anything, unless you are running your plug wires using that info, but I do not think that is #8.

20th Anniversary Roadster, A50XS Coyote Eng, TKO 600
post #68 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 04:24 AM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

cylinder missing

After watching the video provided, doesn't look as if it's a "mechanical" issue that is kicking you to the ground, so to speak. Valve train seems to be working fine . . .

Doc

HUMMMMMMM?
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #69 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Junior Charter Member

Garage

I am with BB. All looks well, BUT I would still manually rotate it through a full 720 deg cycle and check for proper valve timing in relation to crank angle.

Krusty

302/375hp, Holley 650DP, T5, IRS, pin drive, 15" Trigos, 3.55, Guardsman blue/ Wimbleton white
post #70 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroad View Post
Not that it changes anything, unless you are running your plug wires using that info, but I do not think that is #8.

I'm working on driver's side bank all the way in the back.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg main-qimg-f59b0063c6a229886d1c98540f8113bb.jpg (84.0 KB, 19 views)

post #71 of 80 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danish View Post
I'm working on driver's side bank all the way in the back.
Your are RIGHT. Excuse my mistake.
Do not know what I can blame it on, but woke up this morning and realized it.
Danish thanked this.

20th Anniversary Roadster, A50XS Coyote Eng, TKO 600
post #72 of 80 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Junior Charter Member

Garage

Any updates?

Krusty

302/375hp, Holley 650DP, T5, IRS, pin drive, 15" Trigos, 3.55, Guardsman blue/ Wimbleton white
post #73 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUSTY990 View Post
Any updates?

Krusty
Yes, good timing! I took half a day off from work today to get back in the garage and get this sorted out. I was going to do a full 720 degree timing check to see that all valves were doing what they were supposed do. Took the passenger side valve cover off and this stared me right in the face...

Now I don't know what to believe any longer. I guess Trevor was right when he predicted there is likely more than one thing wrong - unless of cause there is way that a bad #4 intake rocker can affect #8 also.
Danner thanked this.

post #74 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM
Junior Charter Member

Garage
That's ugly. #4 & #8 both share the same cam section between the rear cam bearings. My $$ is still on a broken cam.

krusty

post #75 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

That rocker damage may have caused the #8 problem with the possible cam wipe out due to the debris running through the bearings.

Are you sure 1.7 ratio rockers are ok with your cam. You may have binding and this was the result.

FFR3842, 363ci/600hp, AFR205's, Wilwood 6/4 piston Superlites, Koni DAs, Magnesium bellhousing and Tilton Triple disk clutch, GF5R dog ringed 5 speed, 3link, VPM sway bars, Hoosier A6s, CCW forged wheels, wings, undertray, diffuser
post #76 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
That rocker damage most likely will have caused damage to the valve guide and other components in that area. The valve, the spring retainers and cap will have to be inspected and replaced as necessary. I hate to say it but, a complete tear down might be in order. At the very least that head should come off and be checked, the oil pan removed and the oil pump replaced. Those parts went somewhere.

Norm

Mk 4 Base 7721, 302, Carb, T5, 355 traction lock, rear disc, heater, wipers, foot well vents, whitby soft top, dropped trunk floor and more.
post #77 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Cam Bad

I totally agree with Krusty and Norn B on their statements: #4 & #8 do share a common [last] section on the cam shaft and their close proximity could, very possibly, effect one another.

A total tear down is absolutely a given at this point. Broken parts get ground up and distributed to every place in an engine - causing failure to rod and main bearings - which in turn will wipe out a crank or rod(s).

At least pull the pan and pull the rod and main caps to check bearing condition. Flushing out all the oil passages is not a fun process with the engine assembled. Hence, the teardown.

Sorry to hear, and see your problems . . .

Doc

HUMMMMMMM?
post #78 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

I think I see the roller tip wedged above the head bolt, so thats one part accounted for. Sorry for your troubles, luckily the nice driving weather is coming to an end, so it can be a long winter project instead of a rush job. Good luck in the tear down and keep us posted.

MK IV # 8639 Delivered June 2015 - SBF 347 w/450hp, FITECH 30002, Levy SA T5, 3 Link w/ 3.55's, cobra discs, manual brakes/steering
post #79 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Thank you for the input!

I am slowly getting used to the idea of pulling the engine - especially since it seems as a minimum I have to pull the one head (the damaged valve is hard to push down, so it is probably bent). Also still no diagnosis for #8, so that will be a lot easier to do on the engine stand if pulling the cam shaft is the way to do that.

So far the only bit that is unaccounted for is the pin that goes through the roller bearing and the broken part of the rocker - so hoping for finding that in the oil pan.

post #80 of 80 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

It is so easy to pull the motor on these cars (couple hours of work), I always pull it out and put the motor on a stand. Some much easier to work on.
Danish thanked this.

FFR3842, 363ci/600hp, AFR205's, Wilwood 6/4 piston Superlites, Koni DAs, Magnesium bellhousing and Tilton Triple disk clutch, GF5R dog ringed 5 speed, 3link, VPM sway bars, Hoosier A6s, CCW forged wheels, wings, undertray, diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement