Question for Premium Top Owners - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 4Thanks
  • 1 Post By DadofThree
  • 1 Post By Geoff H
  • 1 Post By John4337
  • 1 Post By Bobby Doug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Question for Premium Top Owners

Very close to making a decision to purchase the Premium Top from FFR. I know there are two options available when ordering the top. One is the rear window that can be zipped open to allow for ventilation. The other is the rear quarter window option. If I order the top I am for sure getting the opening rear window. Currently undecided about the rear quarter window option. Is it worth the extra $100.

Thanks
Doug

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Senior Charter Member

Doug, we run the hardtop and my addition of the quarter windows DRASTICALLY improved the safety of driving. Others with a soft top will chime in, but I suggest spending the $100.

Additionally, if you don't have the windshield mounted mirror, get some opinions. I have a larger (Autozone) mirror mounted to my hard top and turn down the dash mirror because it is inadequate when folks get close. Just something else to think about.

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:35 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
Is it worth the extra $100.

Thanks
Doug
If Avalanche325 or John4337 were online right now, they would tell you YES!! You're spending a large amount of money on the Premium Top, get the BEST visability that you can. I've discussed this with a few guys before the rear quarter window option was offered, and they wish they had it.

Spend the $100.

Dave
Bobby Doug thanked this.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dave
Greenhorn / A New Experience for Me.
Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels

Purchased 10/7/15; Brought her Home 10/18/15
My photos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Videos are at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Build (Learning as I go and poorly organized) Blog @

--------------------------------------------------------------
Loving the Island Life

Last edited by DadofThree; 10-08-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yes! I have only had my top for this driving season but can say the quarter windows are a must. They really help with lane changes. I use the rear window zipper feature frequently for ventilation.

It is an amazing piece of engineering.I hit a lot of heavy rain touring Montana/Yellowstone and it kept me dry! No buffeting/flutter at 80 mph driving.

Geoff
Bobby Doug thanked this.

Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 308, Holley Sniper and dual sync distributor , Comp Cams XE266HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofThree View Post
If Avalanche325 or John4337 were online right now, they would tell you YES!! You're spending a large amount of money on the Premium Top, get the BEST visability that you can. I've discussed this with a few guys before the rear quarter window option was offered, and they wish they had it.

Spend the $100.

Dave
Dave is spot on, we use our top a lot, and wish both options had been available when we got ours. The top is probably the best investment weve made in the car (although the A/C is close) and has allowed us to travel. 2 7-8 day trips totaling 4500 miles this year, and another multi day road trip this month. I would definitely go for both.

Safe travels

John
Bobby Doug thanked this.

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the responses. I will be adding the rear quarter window option.
Oh, and thanks for spending some more of my money.

Doug
John4337 thanked this.

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
...thanks for spending some more of my money.
We excell at that

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Yes

It definitely improves your view.

The top is great. I put mine on once and did not take it off for 2 years.

FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475hp/500lbs), TKO600, Power Steering/Brakes, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
Visit my Blog:
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

As Dave said. Definitely do the quarter windows! They are a big help with visibility.

Here is one tip for the roll down window. Do not just roll it down and let it sit on the rear deck. I have a big microfiber towel that I lay on the trunk. I then pull the window out onto the towel, flip the rest of the towel over the window, roll it all up, then tuck it back inside. That way there is only towel on the paint.

I got the towel from https://www.chemicalguys.com

My top goes on for pretty much the entire summer to keep from baking in the sun. It has also kept me out of the rain more times than I can count.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Good tip!
Another one for the rear window - don't just unzip the top of the rear window and leave it with the velcro attached on the sides. I did that, and at first glance it looks like it opens a few inches at the center/top of the window for partial ventilation. I was all proud of myself until I saw the wear marks on the window and roll bar where it came to rest...

Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 308, Holley Sniper and dual sync distributor , Comp Cams XE266HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 09:15 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Yep. Even something soft that is vibrating either acts like sandpaper or a saw.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement