Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Clutch fork came loose!

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BEAR-AvHISTORY 
#1 ·
So I took my recently completed Coupe to cars and coffee yesterday and when I left the clutch went to the floor , I thought I broke my new cable but after getting it home I found out the release fork had come off the pivot ball, is there a way to fix this without pulling the transmission? Thanks for the help, Karl

#2 ·
Might be possible to get it back on, I don't know. But I'd be more concerned about why it came off. With everything installed properly, e.g. the retaining fingers under the pivot ball, the pivot ball itself still properly installed and tight, and the throw-out bearing installed properly including the retaining fingers intact, not sure it's possible for it to come off. Maybe others have tried.

#3 ·
Yeah I really need to pull it and see what’s going on in there, nothing is easy!

#4 ·
Well I got the transmission pushed back far enough to get the bell housing down and took the fork off and lo and behold the spring that holds it to the pivot ball is tweaked! China crap! Thanks so much Gordon for including quality parts for my build

Attachments

#5 ·
You get what you pay for, when it comes to anything made in China..

Unfortunately so many retailers these days, see the profits in selling Chinese junk, that you can't get the quality products any longer, as they no longer carry them. Sadly, some manufactures stop making their quality products, as they now sell so few. Then you have no choice but to buy the inferior products.:sad:

#7 ·
As much of a pain in the a$$ as it is to get that fork installed correctly, it could be that the spring was damaged during the build.

#8 ·
Craig, That's entirely possible, I'm no pro, just a hobbyist, done maybe 4 or 5 clutches in my 60 years of life mostly VWs in high school LOL
I did just order a new fork and TO Bearing from Mike Forte today tho, Made in the USA!
I'm pretty upset that Factory 5 didn't make it easier to service the transmission/clutch with a removable transmission mount, What a Bitch!

#9 ·
They did make it removable in the MkIV finally. But of course that doesn't help you. The couple I have helped with we had a hard time moving the trans far enough back to get the input shaft out of the bell housing. We ended up removing the bell housing bolts from the engine so it could drop down a little and then the shaft would come out. Good luck w/ it.

#10 ·
They did make it removable in the MkIV finally. But of course that doesn't help you. The couple I have helped with we had a hard time moving the trans far enough back to get the input shaft out of the bell housing. We ended up removing the bell housing bolts from the engine so it could drop down a little and then the shaft would come out. Good luck w/ it.
Looking at a clutch replacement & trying to decide if I want to try it with the engine in or out.

Any thoughts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.