#6 spark plug arching - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Vegasjack

#6 spark plug arching

Arcing problem with #6 spark plug.

I have a 1989 5.0 in my Mark3. The #6 spark boot sits very close to the header pipe. It actually burnt the boot a couple times. I have been able to move it so that it is about 1/8 inch from the pipe, but now it wants to arc over to the pipe when running.

I am sure I am not the first with this issue, so was wondering if anyone had a resolution to the issue. I did search this site. Several posts on that plug burning on the exhaust, but didn't see any on arching to it.

Has anyone experienced this issue and how was it corrected.

Thanks, Jack

Last edited by Vegasjack; 10-02-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Maybe a strategically placed dent in header pipe.

Mk3, 358 ci SBC NASCAR 9:1, tko600, Winters Quick Change, AP Racing Brakes, Coleman Spindles, Howe Hubs, Sweet mfg power R&P, Advanced Racing schocks, Fuel Safe.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 06:16 AM

And/or insulating wrap in that area.

Mk3, 358 ci SBC NASCAR 9:1, tko600, Winters Quick Change, AP Racing Brakes, Coleman Spindles, Howe Hubs, Sweet mfg power R&P, Advanced Racing schocks, Fuel Safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:53 AM

In the electrical industry you can get sleeving of various diameters that are silicon coated over a fibreglass matting composition . Not something you would find at your average electrical wholesaler, but commonly used by motor rewinders. They have excellent insulating and thermal properties. I have seen a similar product used to protect flexible hoses on fire suppression systems in heavy equipment.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

Last edited by Nigel Allen; 10-02-2019 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Not a waxer

What boot configuration? Straight boots often get very close to the tube and are vulnerable to heat damage and arcing. 45 degree boots (sometimes called 135 degree) can usually be positioned to locate the wire midway between the tubes.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Replace the wire. The insulation properties of the silicone are done. Same as Jeff, I switched to 45 degree ends and haven't had a problem since. When I first bought my FFR it came w/ very nice wires from a major brand. I saw that a couple were touching the header sometimes but figured it doesn't seem to be hurting anything as I twisted it away to get a tiny clearance. 2yrs later I started getting a miss so I fired the engine up in the dark. What a sight! 2 wire boots had been dried out so badly they looked like a hard packed piece of desert. Silicone works for a while but not forever.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:49 PM
Too Cheap to paint!
FFCars Major

Garage
Like everyone else and the OP, I too have burned spark plug wires. Different longer boots I could bend, Insulated covers, wire routing.

I used something like this over the plug boots: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/40304/10002/-1

Repair or replace that wire, re-route and add protection, and happy motoring!

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, Engine #4 - 331 CI 465 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM
FFCars Major

If it's arcing, the plug wire has failed and needs replacing.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:34 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Danner
I'm having a similar issue, are there better wires to use to prevent arcing? extra insulation?

Bonus: I didn't know about cross fire issues. https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com//sh...ad.php?t=55442
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AcNd2kU.jpg (59.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg VzUcjWD.jpg (105.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Danner; 10-02-2019 at 03:48 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I have never had a problem w/ crossfire. Maybe because I run a standard old style coil that puts out only 30-35,000 volts as best I remember. My wires are a Summit house brand universal.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-888901
I have put insulation around them at the plug end. I got this and cut it into 4 inch lengths.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/the-14030

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 01:49 PM
Buck

Garage
I went with the Taylor 135 deg wire because the straight ones are too close to the header and allow you to position the wire away from the header tubes.
Buck

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement