Factory Five Racing Forum banner

15” tires question again

3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  HinoonAZ 
#1 ·
I have a set of BFG T/A’s on the car now. 235 front and 295 rear. They are 12 years old and I’m thinking I should change them out.

Car is a MK3 with Team III wheels. 15x10 on rear and 15x8 fronts.

What are you guys running? I own a shop and sell tires so I can pretty much get whatever.

I can go back with the current size but only tire offered is a BFG, Cooper cobra, and a Mickey Thompson.

Is there another size you guys are running? Maybe a wider rear?

Thanks

#6 ·
Would you change a 12 year old set of tires?
Only if I planned to drive it!!!!!

I don't let anything go more than 5 years, even trailers, regardless of mileage. OK, I take that back---the lawn mower and wheelbarrow tires are older than 5 years.

Jeff

#8 ·
I replaced my Radial T/A's w/a set of Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T. 235/60-15 fronts & 295/50-15 Rears.

Much better traction, IMHO, than the BFG's...

HTH,
Will

#11 ·
I thought Mickey Thompson was owned by Cooper?

Pretty sure the sportsman st and the RS3-S are the same tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Cooper Cobras for me. I'm on my 4th(?) set of them. I drive my cobra way more than most folks drive theirs? Coopers work just fine for my long types of driving in all kinds of weather. But than again, I drive 'Ol#1437 a lot! 180,000mi +/-. Just saying--lol
Butch

#15 ·
I changed out my BFGs after @ 9 years on the road and MAN were they hard. It happens so slowly you just don't realize that you're driving around on hockey pucks.
Went with Cooper Cobras and been very happy.

#19 ·
Finished my car in 07 Originally I had the same tires, swapped them 5 years ago they would be the same age do you drive aggressively once in awhile?
The BFG’s are ok and and predictable on sweeping turns and one of the few choices in 15”. I am looking for better choices and am forced to go 17.

#21 ·
I started autocross and the 15” tire problems made themselves plain. I actually love the big bologna tires they look correct to my old eyes
There are some nice less expensive packages at American Muscle for the grippy setup I am looking for

#22 ·
Here is my view on the 15 inch tires. Had BFG's with age and hardness changed MT SR's. Love em and stick pretty good. Better stick than the ST's and Cobra tires. The Cobra and ST's are the same tire. Anything is better than the BFG's IMO. I have heard the Cobra"s work very well for street driving even with high HP and torque. 26 lbs in SR's seem to work best for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.