Drilling holes made easy - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 4Thanks
  • 2 Post By egchewy
  • 1 Post By Real time recon
  • 1 Post By Avalanche325

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Drilling holes made easy

This may already have been posted or perhaps is obvious but I found using a simple quick grip one handed bar clamp with a nice slow drill speed turned minutes of drilling holes into seconds. I also bought an inexpensive drill bit sharpener and a bunch on 1/8 titanium bits. Your going to break some bits. Happy drilling...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9329.jpg (14.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9635.jpg (25.6 KB, 58 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:38 PM

Harbor freight sells double ended bits, so you can just flip it around when you break a bit.

Jaga and Barry Gerard thanked this.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Step drill bit,one size fits all
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Po...s/N-5yc1vZc90q
Jaga thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Also, i found this 90 degree drill attachment very handy for tight spaces.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0078.jpg (22.5 KB, 49 views)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:48 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I wish I knew about lube earlier.

_
_

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 10:05 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I did about 90% of my panels with one bit that I bought on-line with my Clecos. I meant to order 10, but did 1 by mistake. It was getting to be a quest to see if I could make it all the way. Then I punched through a panel and hit a round part of the frame and snapped it. I'll be that I went through another 10 - 12 from Home Depot for the other 10%.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 05:03 PM
Actual builder now!
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
1/8 bits are cheap though. Just buy a pant load on the first sale and have done with. I use them a lot for screw pilot holes on other projects too.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaga View Post
This may already have been posted or perhaps is obvious but I found using a simple quick grip one handed bar clamp with a nice slow drill speed turned minutes of drilling holes into seconds. I also bought an inexpensive drill bit sharpener and a bunch on 1/8 titanium bits. Your going to break some bits. Happy drilling...
What am I missing? "turned minutes of drilling holes into seconds"? Using a slow drill speed?

Steve

FFR #8305
IRS, Levy Stage 4 347
Levy Super Alloy T5 Trans
EFI, 3.27 Rear, Wilwood Brakes
17x9" Front; 17x10.5" Rear Halibrand Wheels
255/40R17 Front; 315/35R17 Rear

Paint - Ford Magnetic Metallic Gray (J7) with Black Stripes
Painted by "da Bat"

Complete Kit Delivered 05/15/2014
Ordered Engine / Trans 09/09/2014
Got Engine on 08/28/2015
Got Trans on 11/20/2015
First Start on 08/14/2016
First Go-Kart 11/6/2016
Body On 2/3/2017
Titled and Registered 4/14/2017 as a 1965!!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Its mostly the quick grip one handed bar clamp. Its way less effort and I have found this method to be much quicker. The trick is to squeeze the hand clamp you until it almost stop the drill. You can exert so much force that the metal will just peel off the bit. See video link below. I could use the clamp for almost every hole that was not vertical. For vertical holes I would use my body weight on top of the drill.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 04:35 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

1/8" drill bit, so no big deal. But you are bypassing the "let the tool do the work" part. Taking too big of a bite invites breaking the bit.

Small drill bits should to be run fast, large bits should be run slow.

Also, cranking down until you almost stop your drill will burn it out.

Danner thanked this.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 10:32 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Not wanting to highjack from the OP, but as pointed out by many folks, a #30 drill bit can be a help as it is a few thousandths larger than a 1/8th. Didn't think it would make a difference until I tried it -- just helps get the rivets seated a bit easier and the 1/8 clecos still work fine. Yes - more expensive but a couple bucks saved time having to redrill a bunch of holes. OOMV.
Best
Ron
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:38 AM
GWL
FFCars Captain

I have found these bits to be superb. Made for the aircraft industry of Cobalt. Yes, use the wire gauge drills (#30 for the 1/8" bit). At less than $1.00 a bit, you have to buy a pack of 12. You will not run out of these and will have many left over for other work.

Rarely did I break a bit and I've drilled a lot of holes into stainless steel that I've used on my car. Both footboxes and the firewall are of .050" mirrored stainless steel with a bunch more holes than in the standard footboxes and firewall. See the link in my signature.

https://www.panamericantool.com/cobalt-drills.html

They also have other high quality cutting tools and drills and more.

Sorry Jaga, but that method for drilling holes would be a bit awkward for me, I'm glad it worked out for you.

George

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up the 1st Mk 4 Roadster, 3-5-10, Still not finished in 2019, three moves since starting and now moving to NC later this summer, 2019

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

My Footbox Modifications:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Danner
Air powered drill and one high quality 1/8" bit did most of the work for me. Having the drill get cooler the harder you worked it really upped the marathon speed. Lighter than electric too. cup of oil to dip the drill bit into after each hole, and you're talking about multiple holes per minute. The only issue was having the right pressure to stop the bit before it slammed into the other wall of steel tubing, I got used to hearing when the bit was about to go through so I could ease up the pressure. Then it's just a matter of marking the holes beforehand, and having clecos handy - I made an apron with big pockets to hold clecos and the pliers.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Today, 09:51 PM

I used both #30 drill bits and 1/8" double ended bits from McMaster Carr. The #30 makes it easy to place rivets, but the double enders seem sturdier (because they're shorter ?), are cheap and give you two sharp ends to keep drilling, and drilling and ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement