Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Mk 1 SAI mods

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  CraigS 
#1 ·
Been out of the loop for a few years. FFR #1985 that needs a user friendly front end upgrade. I have newer ffr upper control arms with the donor lowers. Bump steer kit. Power steering.
Have done lot's of searches and most of the interest has moved along.
I now have the time to play with the car and need some guidance.
So please I need someone that's done the mod and can guide me to a source that still sells what i need, tips and tricks and maybe some instructions to ponder over.
Thanks guys,
Steve

#2 ·
SAI mod

Now might be a good time to check in with Mark Reynolds at Breeze Automotive for earlier model upgrades . . .

If nothing else, check out Breeze Automotive Youtube videos on setting up the front end without the SAI mod.

Doc :beerchug:

#3 ·
I have a MK 1 and I did the high ackerman rack relocation that Breeze used to sell. I also have Levy billet lower arms, SN95 spindles and Whitbys SAI mod. I too have power steering and a Levy 5 link out back. I swapped to Konis once FFR started offering them. All of this has made the car much nicer to drive and it handles very well. If you have 4 link in the rear, a switch to 3 link really makes a difference. The Konis are much better than the old Pro Shocks they used to offer. I would check with Breeze to see if he can set you up with the rack relocation bushings and bolts and see if Whitbys is still selling the SAI kit. PM me if you would like any other info.

Mike

#4 ·
#9 ·
I was emailing with Whitby Motors about 3 weeks ago. They were doing another run on the SAI kit. Should be ready end of September is what I was told. Did you hear different?

#6 ·
The FFR spindles do correct the SAI. Like SN95 spindles they are shorter than Fox spindles so you need to change the mount position at the frame end of the UCA. See the 2 pieces of steel angle iron in the kit illustration? Very easy to duplicate on your own. If you decide to go this route, I have the dimensions of the angle iron pieces and I may even have the pieces themselves from my SAI kit from years ago. Backround on how it works is this. The SAI kit was engineered to work w/ SN 95 spindles. To correct the SAI the upper BJ needs to move outward. To make it relatively easy, they set it up so the UCA can still be used by moving the chassis mount outward the same amount as the upper BJ. To accommodate the shorter spindle they lowered the chassis mount also. BTW mentioned above is the Ackerman mod. This involves moving the rack backward. The rack goes to between the existing rear rack mount ear and the 2in x 2in upright frame piece. You use the existing rack mount holes as a guide to drill through the 2 x 2. I found I needed to put a sleeve inside the 2x2 to keep it from collapsing when I tightened the new longer bolts. The SAI and the Ackerman mod can be done separately or together.

#7 ·
#11 ·
Hi Thumper1,

The SAI mod is a GREAT upgrade, whether you use Whitby's kit or via FFR's newer spindles etc. What size tires are you running? The original SAI kit is really designed for 17" or larger wheels. It can be made to work with 15" wheels, but there is UCA modification (welding) required. I don't know if this is true if using FFR's new spindles or not?

Have fun. Its the ability to tinker and transform this car from one thing to another (and back again if you so desire) that keeps me interested. I'm always playing with some element I'd like to upgrade or change!

Sean

#12 ·
Thumper this is the info Jim Schenk of FFR sent me.

"Using a straightedge off the bottom of the main rails our mounting holes are 13.75 inches high to the center of the hole. Both holes are the same height. Measuring across the center of the car width wise they are 30-5/16 inches from mounting surface to mounting surface, and front to back they are lined up in the same plane as the old mounting holes on top of the plate.
We don’t still have a fixture for the MKII cars however a lot of the larger sections we can still either use from the newer car or give pieces that can be made to work. We don’t do any of the repairs here but depending on where you are I might be able to help locate someone who can.
Jim"

I will throw in a caution. The upper mounts for the coil-overs have also been widened. So moving the UCA cross shaft to the vertical mount, which also moves it outward, may require moving the coil over top mount. I can get dimensions from mine if you need them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.