How much oil in a Breeze/Canton oil pan? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question How much oil in a Breeze/Canton oil pan?

I have a Breeze/Canton oil pan on my 302 that I bought back in 2006. For some reason I can’t remember, I shortened both the dipstick and the tube. If I remember correctly, this is a seven quart pan, but when I add seven quarts of oil (including the oil added to the filter prior to installing), the level is 1/4” below the “low” mark. How can I verify the correct high and low marks on the dipstick? Thanks

Mk II+, Crate 5.0 w/ E303 Cam, 3-Link, TKO500, Mass-Flo, 9psi Powerdyne, Ford Fun Drop Butt Mod, smooth butt mod, wheel arches mod, roll bar mod, steering rack mod, foot box mod, door latches mod. Self painted. This is why it took so darn long! Go-cart 7/29/2010. Licensed as 1965, insured and on the road 8/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 AM
FFCars Major

The oils should be at, or just below the kickouts on the pan

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

If it is a 7 qt pan
add seven qts and check the dipstick. For now disregard the oil filter, remote lines.
Remark the dipstick if necessary.
Run motor for a few minutes. Shut the motor off and wait several minutes for all the oil to drain back into the pan. Check dipstick and add oil if necessary.

I believe Canton marks ( engraves ) their pans on what would be the rear ( toward the tranny) side. It will be something like 15-736.
You can google that number and it will tell you what capacity the pan holds. Summit would be a good place to check.

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.

Last edited by DWIGHT; 08-15-2019 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM
GWL
FFCars Captain

This is my take. I've got the Breeze/Canton Road/Race pan on my Ford 302 engine.

I ran my engine oil dip stick through the engine block, as standard, so the level should not change if you are using a standard OEM or Ford Racing dip stick. The size of the Breeze/Canton pan is just larger holding more oil. I'll just simply add oil, after it has run through the oil filter, to the standard full mark on the Ford Racing dip stick calculating how much oil I've added total.

George

Ordered Complete Roadster Kit - 12-24-09

Picked up the 1st Mk 4 Roadster, 3-5-10, Still not finished in 2019, three moves since starting and now moving to NC later this summer, 2019

'75 Porsche Targa Carrera - Sold
'52 MGTD - Sold
'62 MGA - Sold

My Footbox Modifications:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:04 PM

I have a Canton / Breeze pan as well and my car came with 2 Dip sticks... The stock and the one connected to the pan.
I contacted Mark @Breeze and he basically confirmed me that I could use the stock dip stick.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:01 PM
FFCars Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky77 View Post
I have a Canton / Breeze pan as well and my car came with 2 Dip sticks... The stock and the one connected to the pan.
I contacted Mark @Breeze and he basically confirmed me that I could use the stock dip stick.
Yes, if you have the stock dipstick, in the stock location in the block, then that is the correct oil level regardless of the pan. The oil level would be correct in relation to the crankshaft.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 PM

You can also run less oil than max pan capacity to allow the oil to warm up quicker. Think about how you will really run the car. If you want to romp on it 5 minutes after you started a cold engine in cooler weather, perhaps less is more. I put 6 quarts in mine which is 30 percent more than stock and mark the dipstick there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:07 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I have the same oil pan. I fill up the oil filter about 3/4 and then fill the pan with 7 quarts for my oil changes.
This is all with a full remote oil cooler. My dipstick is not in the stock location so the oil level is higher than on the stock dip stick.
I used a file to make a slight line for full on the stock dip stick.

2006 Stock Challenge Car. I'm removing parts, not adding them!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks!

Mk II+, Crate 5.0 w/ E303 Cam, 3-Link, TKO500, Mass-Flo, 9psi Powerdyne, Ford Fun Drop Butt Mod, smooth butt mod, wheel arches mod, roll bar mod, steering rack mod, foot box mod, door latches mod. Self painted. This is why it took so darn long! Go-cart 7/29/2010. Licensed as 1965, insured and on the road 8/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement