Inspection - FAILED! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Inspection - FAILED!

Aaarrrgghhh!!!!!! I went to get my roadster inspected and was handed a shock! I only had a few minor 'tweeks' and one BIG tweek. It seems that a few months ago, our powers to be up here changed the ruling on side pipes due to complaints from stupid people putting their skin on hot pipes - like I did last week. (Only 2nd degree but thanks for asking). Now we have to have heat shields on them. I was thinking of getting some next year but not at inspection! Who handles these items?

#7009 Mk 4
Ordered July 2018; Arrived Sept.12th, 2018
Roller Jan. 15th, 2019
First start April 9, 2019
Go-kart April 28, 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:59 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Drummer Mike.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 PM

Agreed. Drummer Mike makes excellent heat shields. Comes with all the hardware you need, plus he'll even polish them to match your pipes.

John

IMG_4997 by jhsitton, on Flickr

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
That's what I am hearing. Sent him an email.

#7009 Mk 4
Roller Jan. 15th, 2019
Go-kart April 28, 2019
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:23 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I had DrummerMikes on mine before I switched to UTC exhaust. They were excellent quality, you won’t be disappointed.

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Just for comparison, look at PTP Turboblankets.

MK II SOLD 03/2013: 302EFI,E303,GT40intake,Twisted Wedge heads,MSD ignition&distributor,4X4, 24#, 3.55, 8 .8.

MK IV Coyote Complete Kit #8075 arrived 6/26/13: 8.8 solid, 3.55:1, TKO 500, PS/PB/ABS/AC, 245/60R15 x 295/50R15, modular dash. Graduated May 2016.

MK IV Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:32 PM

I used perforated shields from Finishline accessories, and 2 inch exhaust wrap to shield the 4 into 1 section. I held the wrap in place with a stainless steel cable tie at each end. Once I had passed inspection I removed the wrap by simply cutting the ties and unwrapping it, no need to remove the exhaust. I left the shield in place as it is effective and I can live with the look. Oddly our inspectors did not seem to care about the exhaust tip being covered. I am guessing it is because the tips of most exhausts are exposed.

Don't leave the wrap in place for more than a week or so otherwise it will discolour the exhaust.

Once our cars have been inspected they are heavily photographed from the exterior, to the engine bay, to the interior. Our local police have access to these photographs so that they can compare the car to the images at a roadside stop or car event. It is pretty quick for me to put the exhaust wrap back on if I need to.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181001_113523_1565738067940.jpg (248.6 KB, 32 views)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 12:04 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Here you go: https://www.finishlineaccessories.co...ds-chrome.aspx

I like the look of these over the others being suggested here. I think it matches the look of the era, with the corvette's having something similar. Just my opinion of course...

Good luck with the re-inspection!

Regards,

Steve
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:44 AM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Well if that isn't a letdown..

So that is a new regulation, that I had no idea existed. Could it be some designated inspection shops are aware of this, and some are not?
Maybe some hardware cloth, cut to taper at either end, and a couple large hose clamps, will be enough to get you passed? Just pull them off when you get home.
What were the smaller tweaks? Other new regulations? Do you just have to meet those needs, and your good to go, or do they do a complete inspection again?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
Well if that isn't a letdown..

So that is a new regulation, that I had no idea existed. Could it be some designated inspection shops are aware of this, and some are not?
Maybe some hardware cloth, cut to taper at either end, and a couple large hose clamps, will be enough to get you passed? Just pull them off when you get home.
What were the smaller tweaks? Other new regulations? Do you just have to meet those needs, and your good to go, or do they do a complete inspection again?
Hi Bill,
The ruling is only a few months old, apparently. Not going the cloth route as I was meaning to get shields one day anyway and my latest 'bite' is starting to heal nicely.
The smaller tweeks were incidentals not related to new rulings. I had a spacer that was a bit too small on the panhard bar and a couple of similar stuff. These guys I use are very particular and precise but then, on the other hand, I know the car is fully safe.
Do not need another complete inspection. Once it is ready I take it to them, they check the items that were not correct and they slap on the vin. They figured 1/2 hour.
Got my car weighed yesterday. This Mk 4 weighs in at 1100 Kg and my previous Mk 3.1 was 975 kg. That's a lot of difference. First time on the freeway with it. Nervous? Oh yeah. Still getting to know the car. But it performed beautifully. Couldn't believe the response when travelling at 95Km in 4th and hitting the gas to pass. Wonderful and scary.
One other thing, I have never had a vehicle with such a tight cooling system. I can go for a ride and leave the car for two days and the cooling system is still holding pressure.

#7009 Mk 4
Roller Jan. 15th, 2019
Go-kart April 28, 2019
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 07:07 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwleo View Post
Aaarrrgghhh!!!!!! I went to get my roadster inspected and was handed a shock! I only had a few minor 'tweeks' and one BIG tweek. It seems that a few months ago, our powers to be up here changed the ruling on side pipes due to complaints from stupid people putting their skin on hot pipes - like I did last week. (Only 2nd degree but thanks for asking). Now we have to have heat shields on them. I was thinking of getting some next year but not at inspection! Who handles these items?
REALLY ? In 4 years I've Never had anyone burned by side-pipes
>>>> Change the 'Powers to be ' !
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Today, 09:52 PM

You're the only one I've ever heard from whereby nobody got burned by sidepipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement