mark II switching to sn 95 spindles - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

mark II switching to sn 95 spindles

I was attempting to put the 12.88 rotors and wilwood 6 caliper brakes on the Mark II. I knew that I had to change spindles to the sn 95. I didn't realize that there were 94,95 spindles and 96-04 spindles. Well I ended up with 96 spindles from ebay. I then did some research and I already have a bump steer kit for the Mark II and thought I would bolt up the spindles to see how bad it was going to be. After installing a new lower ball joint (the new spindles are thinner) I bolted it up. I am working on the left front, and after bolting up the new 96 spindle when I turn the spindle to the left it now changes the camber and caster. (when I turn the spindle to the left it raises the upper control arm which makes no sense. I am wondering if I need to change the piece that connects to the spindle and the upper control arm? I wish I new what this piece was called. Any suggestions as I don't think that 94,95 spindles is going to fix this issue of the upper control arm raising and lowering.

Thanks for reading.

Can the cobra be more fun than the 1930 Harley?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 11:12 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Are you going from stock brakes to the SN95? I believe you'll need the spindle adapter part that changes spindle location. I have a set if you need them. Sounds like you have the straight arm spindles. I have used those for 20yrs without issues.

"I'm just a victim of a thousand psychic wars."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM
Not a waxer

Your spindle adapters should have 4 holes. When using Fox spindles they bolt to the top and 3rd hole down and the SN95 spindles use the second and fourth holes from the top. If you attached your SN95s to the same set of holes as were used for the Fox spindles it would explain the issue.

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
I did that exact swap, and all above are correct.

Also note, it will widen your front track by about 1/2" per side, so be aware of any new tire rub on the fender lip. (ask how I know).

I found that the Ford COBRA brakes have plenty of stopping force with the right brake pads, even on the track. Maybe try to SN95 brakes first before jumping right to the big stuff?

Dan

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM
FFCars Major

Not what you want to hear, but I wouldn't use the '96 spindles. I would look for a set of '94-'95, with the dog-leg steering arm. Life will be easier in the long run, no bump steer issue, and better fit of tire to fender.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

My spindle adapter? has only 2 holes on the mark II. I don't have the one with 4 holes. It sounds Like I need to order this from factory five.

Can the cobra be more fun than the 1930 Harley?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:46 PM
Not a waxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Maxfield View Post
My spindle adapter? has only 2 holes on the mark II. I don't have the one with 4 holes. It sounds Like I need to order this from factory five.
Apparently your car predates when they started supporting the SN95 platform as well as Fox. Post a "want to buy" in the classifieds here and on the other forum because there are a bunch of them floating around out there that were sent with complete kits even though they were unnecessary. If I dig deep enough I probably have a set somewhere...

Jeff

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I don't quite understand what conditions your are getting that in. Car on stands and suspension hanging? Car on the ground and moving the steering like doing a caster sweep? In any case I am not sure I'd worry about the UCA moving. Camber and caster always move as the wheel is turned. In fact, measuring caster is done by measuring camber at a left turn and again at a right turn, and running those #s through a formula to calculate the caster. How is the alignment and the bump steer?

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 08:12 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKleiner View Post
Apparently your car predates when they started supporting the SN95 platform as well as Fox. Post a "want to buy" in the classifieds here and on the other forum because there are a bunch of them floating around out there that were sent with complete kits even though they were unnecessary. If I dig deep enough I probably have a set somewhere...

Jeff
Maybe not. I have a late MKI and have 2 hole SN95 brackets. F5 didn't come out with the 4 hole combination until later. I have all 3 types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spindle_brkts.jpg (127.3 KB, 5 views)

"I'm just a victim of a thousand psychic wars."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement