Factory Five Racing Forum banner

MkII Shock Replacement/repair

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Frank Messina 
#1 ·
Hi, I built and own FFR 3520, a MkII, and everything has been going well. I appreciate all the invaluable help and advice I received from the forum members during the build. Recently, the left side shocks, front and rear, started leaking. I believe these are the Pro shocks, however, with upgraded Eibach springs. On the front, I have the initial version of the FFR tubular lower control arms; the rear is the Thunderbird IRS. The car is mostly street, with a very occasional autocross.

What is the most cost effective remedy for the leaking shocks that would provide a similar level of performance and reliability?

Thank you for the help!

Buddy

#2 ·
Your Pro Shocks are rebuildable if you want to keep the ride that you like. Call them to find out costs and turn time. But remember that the other 2 will also need to be rebuilt so that all 4 corners are brought back to specs.

#3 ·
X2

What Derald said . . . I'm about to go thru this same thing in the next month or two. My car seems (to me) to feel like it doesn't have any shocks at all. I have the original Pro Shocks that came on my MK-II, gold color, no adjustments.

I'm seriously considering rebuilding the shocks because I like the ride I get from them, although some adjustment might be nice. Problem is, the first step up (single adjustable) isn't cheap to do all four corners and two steps up (double adjustable) is out of my "retirement" budget.

My thoughts are that the Pro's lasted the 18 years my car has been on the road, with a rebuild, I should get 18 more . . .

FWIW, last I heard ( a few years ago), about $75 per shock, but don't hold me to that price - everything seems to have skyrocketed in the last few years. I'll be calling real soon to get a firm price, gotta get thru my Summer season, then they come off the car for repairs.

Doc :beerchug:

#5 ·
I have the 4 Pro shocks that I took off my MkII in 2007 w/ about 5000 miles on them. I nearly threw them out when we moved in April since they have been sitting so long. $50 each plus shipping. They were on a solid axle car so only the fronts will fit Buddys car. Big Blocker is yours solid axle?

#6 ·
CraigS, Yes, it's a 3-link 8.8 rear.

Any ideas how much to ship to 89074 (Las Vegas,NV)?

#8 ·
Well, it turns out I have the Carrara shocks. But, both they and the Pro shocks can be rebuilt. A little over $400 for all 4 shocks and the shipping.
The Pro shock rebuild center is:
Speedway Motors/Jason Martin
121 oak creek
Lincoln NE 68525

However, I used one of their authorized rebuilders-family operation, very knowledgable, great customer service:
Finney Racing (Wally and Brian)
430 Magnolia Avenue
Merritt Island, FL 32952

Thanks for all of the help!

Buddy

#9 ·
This thread has me thinking about my shocks, but from a different angle.

My MK2 has been a rolling chassis for about 16 years and I am just getting back to it. I am wondering if the age of shocks has much to do with their performance. Does anyone know if shocks with no use, other than the weight of the chassis sitting on them, deteriorate over time? I am sure age has something to do with it, but I am guessing it would be minimal, especially if the car has been in a garage and not exposed to the elements.

#10 ·
Just one counter-point to rebuilding the Pro-Shocks, is that they are valved at a pre-set rate for compression and rebound. Upgrading to an adjustable shock gives you the ability to "tune" your car's ride.

I went from the Gold Pro's to QA1 Double adjustable. Major change which did require extra work, but it made a TREMENDOUS change in the way the car rode and handled.

Buddy - Have you considered changing spring rates at this juncture to also change your car's ride? From the factory, our cars are "soft". Good opportunity to stiffen it up a little. Also, make sure you corner weigh when re-installing. Balance the car.

#11 ·
Age Vs. Use

Steven K,

First off, your chassis isn't sitting on your shocks per say, its weight is riding on the springs. And if your car has been stationary for any period of time, the shocks haven't been cycled at all

Bottom line here is: you'll more-than-likely be good-to-go.
That being said, I've worked on cars that have sat for over ten years and the shocks worked just fine. Shocks wear out from [long time] use or abuse, like bottoming them out in a bad dip.

Just my 2¢

#12 ·
Steve, the rubber washers had become brittle over time and that's what caused the leaks.

Chepks8, yes, I upgraded the springs as I was finishing up the build. Rebuilding the shocks made the most economic sense at this time.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Buddy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.