How many guys are FI vs Carb - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 6Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 03:48 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sread View Post
This looks interesting, but I suspect it might be one of those ideas that works better on paper than it does it real world. They claim you just tap into the existing fuel line but I don't see how it will generate the pressure necessary to atomize thru the injector. Will be interesting to hear some reviews.
It's more like a supplement to the carb so it's only adding fuel when it goes lean. It can't cut fuel from the carb. As far as the injector, the carb is atomizing fuel under a vacuum really. Designing a low pressure injector to atomize at 5-8 psi shouldn't be that hard.

FFR '33 #78
Picked up 5/30/09

Arrowhead's '33 Hot Rod Build Site:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sharpe View Post
Just my $.02 -- A carb is only tuned right once in a while. Old Ford 302 EFI is OK if left stock. The 4BBL EFI are better. Add timing control, even better. Port EFI w/ timing control is great if you can't afford the stack EFI or a factory crate motor. I'm the guy with too much compression, too much camshaft duration, and too big heads. I have 535HP, 30 MPG, runs perfectly at sea level, perfect at 14,000 feet, starts every time, sounds angry, never dies, never floods, never needs a tune-up, annual oil changes, throttle response that will scare you, and you can let it sit all winter, reach in and turn the key and it will start and idle w/o touching a pedal. Sure, it's a little more work to set up, but your wife can drive it w/o knowing all your carb secrets. I had an early Edelbrock Pro-Flow. It was hard to tune because of my radical engine configuration. Once it was tuned, it was as easy to drive as a new Corvette and as dependable as a Lexus. I ran it the last 20 years on the same spark plugs. The new EFIs are all MUCH better. The difference between port injection and EFI carbs is wet vs. dry flow in the intake, injection timing, more balanced air distribution, maybe a tad more power, and better able to tune engines with questionable parts selection. If you price a new intake, carb, and distributor, Port EFI is not much more. One more thing. Stack - Webber style - EFI looks authentic and runs even better, but make sure your EFI controller (and tuner) has a tune for stack EFI. They carry much less vacuum at idle so "standard" tunes are way too rich.
What efi are you using?

FFR# 3247,3535,3730,3951,4338, and 5665
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 07:12 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I wanted my car to be old school like a Cobra. That includes, warm up, snotty when cold, have to pedal it now and then. I even push out of the garage so I don't rattle my wife's dishes. The kitchen is over the garage. That is all part of the fun to me, the experience, so I went carb. Tuning the carb was also part of the fun. Yes, I have better brakes and tires, so I'm a hypocrite to some extent.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
I even push out of the garage so I don't rattle my wife's dishes.
Now that's funny...I do the exact same thing, except our garage is under our boys bed. He sure got a rude awakening 6:30 one summer morning before I started pushing it out
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR3247 View Post
What efi are you using?
Edelbrock Pro-Flow V1 on a 400 SBC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Edelbrock-Pro-Flow-3-EFI-3220.jpg (45.9 KB, 10 views)
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:00 AM

Normally I am a carb guy but couldn't resist these.

Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1120-800x600.JPG (72.4 KB, 14 views)
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:32 AM

I'm a redneck carburetor guy because I just don't understand fuel injection

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 03:42 AM

Back in college I wrestled with a Holley carb on my 69 Chevelle and for the most part it ran pretty well as long as I spent time under the hood. As a newbie for the cobra build I figured I would go with the reliability of EFI. I have a Holley Sniper EFI on my DART 347 and so far in the go cart stage it is much easier than I remember the carburetor being, however, certainly not hassle free. I have had to reprogram it several times because of stalling. I'm hoping that as I get it out on longer runs on the open road it will "learn" more and perform more smoothly.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

As you are finding out, both carbs and EFI need tuning. If you have to keep tweaking a carb, something is wrong with it. I haven’t touched mine for several years on a high strung engine. Road, autocross and track.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 02:24 AM

I'm with Derald, old school.

I've been bitchin' at, cussing out and banging on carbs for almost 50 years now, way too late to change.

I've had four different Holleys on the current motor, 670, 770, 780 & 940 and keep eyeing the 750/850 Ultra XP but that's only because I want something new/different. The current 780 runs well, and starts with 2 pumps, warms up in a few minutes w/o a choke, cruises at 2,200 rpm and pulls to 7k.

Every now and then I run the numbers on an EFI system that I'd like, $4k is a beginning. Probably not going to happen.

Change is good but it makes you crazy and I'm a long ways down that road.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement