how much did you spend on tools,etc when building your FFR? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 11Thanks
  • 1 Post By Mark K
  • 1 Post By jhargrove
  • 1 Post By Real time recon
  • 1 Post By Brastic
  • 1 Post By Big Blocker
  • 1 Post By zilverx
  • 2 Post By Derald Rice
  • 1 Post By dallas_
  • 1 Post By CrawleysCobra
  • 1 Post By CraigS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Curious George

Garage
Question how much did you spend on tools,etc when building your FFR?

if you look at the complete kit tool requirement, it adds up quickly - I have about 1/2 of this stuff, but dang - it adds up quick! almost $2,100 if you start at ground zero!

https://cobradreams.com/items-that-i...-in-my-garage/

just learning... planning... scheming :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Toadster; 07-30-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
if you look at the complete kit tool requirement, it adds up quickly - I have about 1/2 of this stuff, but dang - it adds up quick! almost $2,100 if you start at ground zero!

I itemized everything during the build, and the tools/fixtures/solvents section is currently around $2K. I already had a decent set of hand tools, but needed other things like the engine hoist, engine stand, jacks, cleaners/solvents (I went donor route), so your estimate sounds about right. I went to HF a lot to try and keep the costs down. Just be sure to buy the right things from there, like the hoist and stand. For critical/precision items, such as torque wrenches, calipers, etc., I went to better-quality stores like HD and Lowe's.

But you're right - tools definitely need to be factored into the budget.

- m

Toadster thanked this.

FFR9280RD MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, PS, PB, ABS, Traction Control, Cruise Control, PATS, Summit heater, DIY wire diet, Russ Thompson pedal/trunk/turn signal, FFR LCAs, FFR 3-link, 17x9 FR500s wearing 245/45 front and 275/40 rear (wide axle)

Feb 2018 Kit and donor delivery
Feb 2018 Donor teardown
Mar 2018 Kit started
Jan 2019 First start
Feb 2019 Go-kart
Jul 2019 Registered
Aug 2019 In paint
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:22 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I can't say forsure but those sums seem about right. Even hitting Harbor freight for items it add up. I started from nothing and have bought countless items.

Something to consider is there is always "extras" to go get outside of tools. I think there is a recent thread on that too. I'm constantly at Ace and Home depot.

Jason
Toadster thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post

Throw in a lift and double/triple that 2k
Toadster thanked this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Curious George

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real time recon View Post
Throw in a lift and double/triple that 2k
LOL I'm sure my back would love that

just learning... planning... scheming :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:34 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I had almost all the tools, but I spent about $1000 on drill bits, acetone, painter's tape, sandpaper, spray paint, clear spray paint, undercoating spray, silicone, angle grinder discs, de-greaser for donor parts, anti-seize, 3M Carpet adhesive, RTV, etc.

I replaced all the black oxide hardware that came with the kit.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....†††

Last edited by NiceGuyEddie; 07-31-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:37 PM

Are you asking how much I spent or I told my wife I spent?

All kidding aside, the amount of consumables was way more than I thought it would be. I also finally purchased an air compressor. (How did I live before this) The good news is that I can do pretty much any maintenance now. Again, tools are a life time investment.
Toadster thanked this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:55 PM
Official OLD GUY
FFCars Captain

Wink Too Much is never enough

It's kinda like horsepower (or cubic inches) too much is never enough.

Having been a FORD mechanic for almost 20 years in my early life, I didn't need to buy much in the way of tools for the Cobra - already had almost $40K in miscellaneous standard tools, metric tools, special purpose tools and custom tools for one specific job, and let's not to forget the air tools / compressor(s).

But, that being said, I probably spent close to $1K in assorted "other stuff"; sand paper, HSRF, nuts / bolts of a greater strength, cleaning and degreasing supplies, POR-15, rubber floor mats, parts to lift the body to the ceiling for storage while I do "winter mods", etc.

Always good to add these things to your overall budget . . .

Doc
Toadster thanked this.

little block, BIG BLOCK . . .
HUMMMMMMM?
FFR3712K (POPSDRM) in Lost Wages, NV.
MKII, 5.0, "Tubular" GT40-EFI, E-303, T5, 17" 5-Lug Chrome Cobra "R's", Nitto 275/315's, PBR 4 wheel Disks, Full Tubular/Coil-Over suspension, 20:1 Flaming River, 3.73's, 3-Link, Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, Custom Footbox Air vents, Extended PS footbox, Custom Turn Signals, Custom 4-into-4 headers, Non-Donor build, Ford Royal Blue Pearl w/ Arctic White stripes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:54 PM

Always a good excuse to buy that "important" tool. Never, never look at the total investment...
Toadster thanked this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:55 PM

Easiest guilt-free way to control your tool cost and the expenses of building a cobra.....

Don't create a budget.

I do have a box that has most of my receipts, but I refuse to add it up.

Toadster and RBachman thanked this.

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of updates
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:56 PM

Garage
Plus, tools are an 'investment', not an expense. 🙂
Toadster thanked this.

FFR #7124 Mk 3.1, Levy 5 link, LCA's & brakes, 17" Halibrands, electric PS, SAI, Eibach springs, BOSS 427w, webers, hood louvers, tilt front. Delivered 12/23/09, 1st start 02/19/12. 1st go cart 03/03/12. Titled 10/3/12.

"I'm basing it on a collective interpretation of these particular cars. And whatever the hell I like". The Federalist Patriot

SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR-5. Titled 9-19-18
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:10 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I didn't have much to start with so I came in around $5000 on tools and supplies. But as was said earlier, tools are an investment.
Toadster thanked this.

FFR6682 - received 7/30/08 - MK 3.1 complete kit, Forte built Ford Racing BOSS 427W(475hp/500lbs), TKO600, Power Steering/Brakes, VPM Front/Rear sway bars, Bump steer kit, SAI mod, 13"Front/11.65"Rear Mustang Cobra rotors w/calipers, NITTO NT05s - 255/40R17-Front, 315/35R17-rear,3.55 IRS.
Visit my Blog:
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:49 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Posts 9, 10, and 11 are the way I work. I have no idea how much I have in my old MkII, and I don't care. I have a credit card that I use, but I use it wisely I think. We all have a different financial situation so pic a # that suits yours. When I need something over $X, so it would be tough to cash flow, I use the card. And I am comfortable w/ the card balance at $Y. When that balance gets to $Y, I don't buy anything more til I get it paid off. I do a lot of research, and once in a while my wife wonders why I bought something on what seems like an impulse. That impulse though is a combination of enough research that I know what I am buying is the best economical choice, that item is now in stock or on sale, my card is paid off, or someone has a used one for sale. The ONE time in my life that I sold a tool it was an old school but very usable Tig welder. We were moving to a town house w/ no garage and just a small basement. I couldn't figure a way to get the welder into the basement. A couple years later I bought a cheap stick welder and suffered w/ that for a long time. Finally I bought a new Tig machine and the first use I realized how stupid it was to get rid of the old one. I haven't sold so much as a wrench since.
Toadster thanked this.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement