Alignment Tool - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Alignment Tool

I subscribe to Instructables.com and get some interesting projects to build. This one showed up in my email the other day and looks interesting.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Whe...m_medium=email

#7009 Mk 4
Ordered July 2018; Arrived Sept.12th, 2018
Roller Jan. 15th, 2019
First start April 9, 2019
Go-kart April 28, 2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Turn plates, which is what these soft of are, are usually used for setting castor where you need to turn the wheels + / - 15*. There is no way that these would be accurate enough for setting toe. It makes me think the guy saw turn plates and didn't realize what they were actually for.

Measuring from the plate doesn't take tire flex and block shift (tread flex and twist) into account. Also, if they don't really roll free, there will be suspension load. Bushings shift and squish.

If you want to DIY, make yourself some toe plates. Two stiff plates, a couple bends, and a couple of slots for your tape measures. Then you can get an accurate and repeatable measurement. You have to roll the car back and forth between adjustments to negate tire flex and suspension load mentioned above.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:07 PM
Buck

Garage
Check out the Tenholzen plates. Some don't like them because they require eyeballing the 20į left and right for castor. However your eye is pretty good at aligning a straight line in a narrow slot, and also after a few adjustments it will average out and be pretty accurate and the digital angle gage is very accurate. A couple of 1 gal freezer bags with a little grease makes turning the wheels much easier. I used the Tenholzen set and found that if you take your time and work carefully, setting castor, camber and tow can be done in your garage.
Buck

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:00 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I have a Fastrax for castor and camber and Longacre toe plates. I used to do string for toe, but toe plates are easier.

The Tenholzen toe plates are nice as they have pins the touch the wheels. They take out any tire discrepancies, like all the stuff molded into the sidewalls.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:44 AM
FFCars Craftsman

I used a Fastrax with toe arms and Gil smith racing turn plates. Learning about setting up the suspension on the FFR was one of the most rewarding parts of my build.

#7619 MKIV IRS complete kit, non donor
351 tko 500
Delivered Nov 13, 2011
First start December 31, 2011
First gocart Jan 12 ,2012
picked up from painter 5/5/2012
Graduation 05/12/2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by emac; 07-19-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: add link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement