CT Owners Beware - Motor Vehicle Assessment Tax Increases! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Real time recon
  • 1 Post By Carl Johnson
  • 1 Post By rockpool

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

CT Owners Beware - Motor Vehicle Assessment Tax Increases!

For those of you who live in Connecticut, you are well aware of the annual Motor Vehicle property tax. This year the property tax on my Factory Five Roadster increased almost 20x to well over $1000!

My car is registered as a 2004 Composite Cobra, which I believe was the only available option at the time (no option to register it as a 1965). Since that timeframe, the tax has been relatively low on the car. Quite a shock this year.

I initially had my wife call the assessorís office (sheís familiar with the car and taxes). He told her that itís difficult to assess these cars, therefore Autotrader was used to assess it. He said these cars range in market value, many well above $60 - 80K, therefore the assessment on ours was Ďreasonableí. He gave no indication on why the assessment changed in 2019. He stated we could contest it in September at a session specific to challenging assessments.

Over the past few days, Iíve been researching CT DMVís website and any information available. In addition, I looked on autotrader.com, which is where he stated he pulled the values. To my surprise, there are no Cobras on autotrader. Interesting.

Today I followed up with a call to the assessorís office. He started out by saying that he already explained the assessment when I (my wife) called, and again repeated we could come in September to provide documentation of a different value.

I asked him where he arrived at the assessment value, and this time he stated Google. I questioned him on the use of Google as an assessment tool, and he said itís in his right to use it and stands by it. I stated he told my wife he used autotrader, and he didnít have a good response.

When I mentioned there are many different kits and build standards, he didnít really acknowledge, except to suggest I should have put my brand (Factory Five) on the title in 2004. Such great guidance.

I asked him if he really thought it was reasonable to increase the assessment so much, and he stated yes. I asked if this was your car, would you think so? He said heíd never buy a car like this (note: I built mine ). He said if it was him, heíd just be happy to enjoy the prior years lower assessments.

The conversation didnít improve from there, and he even said "do you think Iím going to change my mind after this 9 minute phone call?Ē. Nice, now the assessor can apparently assess cars based on emotion and Google.

I asked if there was a path for me to update the year of the car from 2004 to 1965, since thatís what is on the certificate of origin and the body style, and also that the DMV regs now allow us to title our cars in the year of the body style (1965). https://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=804&q=244898. He implied itís not legal, since my VIN is based on 2004, and the kit (car) is not from 1965.

Hereís what it says on CTDMV:
At the time of inspection a VIN will be assigned by the Inspector. The year assigned to the vehicle will be the year in which the vehicle was built or the year of a previously manufactured vehicle that it most closely resembles. On your registration and title documents, the make will be specified as "Composite."

I thought that this form was a potential option for updating the vehicle year, but he indicated no, based on the existing 2004-based VIN:
TAXPAYER'S APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF MOTOR VEHICLE ASSESSMENT: https://www.ct.gov/dmv/LIB/dmv/20/29/L-4.pdf

I told him that actions like these are damaging the hobby and could potentially drive me to sell the car. I couldnít help but also comment that these type of taxation actions are pushing people and companies (GE, UTC, etc) out of Connecticut.

ďAny more questions?", and he quickly got off the phone. I called back, got his name and Ďdeputy' position, and he quickly got off again.

So, Iím boxed in. Iím stuck paying half of the assessed amount before Aug 1, then attempt to contest it in September. When I asked if I will receive interest on money they are holding for the period between payment and reimbursement (assuming I can get it lowered), he didnít know how to answer it. Kinda frightening, considering heís in a financial-related position.

Iíve also reached out to https://www.ctccc.net, since their website has some good information on CT vehicle tax. Hoping they have some guidance.

Anyone else experience a change this year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 AM

I would say that Connecticut is trying make for the loss of income from the big guys leaving from the wallets of the little guys. Good luck in your challenge.

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Snake Farmer

Garage
I've never heard of a vehicle property tax before?

I pay an annual license fee, but it is based on the weight of the vehicle, not the vehicle itself. It's never been more then $80 even on my motorhome.

Does CT justify this ridiculously high tax, by not charging other taxes, such as sales tax on vehicle purchases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:57 PM
FFCars Craftsman

I feel for you Redfish.
But I know how you will solve the problem ...Move... to a more tax friendly state,as we did 10 years ago....AND we have never looked back.
Redfish thanked this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:51 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Retitle

I tried to retitle mine last year. Called and spoke to the "Title Unit" was told to write a letter, send in $25.00, and a copy of the law about the "Year it most closely resembles". I did all that.
3 weeks later I got a letter back from the Title unit stating that they won't retitle my 2004 composite, because it was already titled......Took 6 months to get my $25 back.

Interestingly a buddy of mine was able to retitle his MK2 to a 1965 about 2 years ago.........go figure.
Redfish thanked this.

FFR 4857K - MK II, 5.0 EFI, 3.73's, Levy Street Bump Steer kit, Power Brakes, Paxton, Fiji Blue with white stripes
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 AM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Wow that sucks. Property taxes in Ct. go pretty much town by town, don't think the state has much to do with it. My Danbury vehicle tax bill came recently and the 4 line items all together only come to a bit over $700. Sounds like somebody in your town government decided they needed an increase in revenue and ordered the tax office to pull out all the stops. Did your house property tax go up as well??

MK3#5902 picked up 1/13/07, 88 donor 306 w/b303 EFI purchased 3/31/07,first start and gocart ride 9/20/07 color- Ford Performance White w/ True Blue Metalic stripes. Inspected and registered 7/31/08
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

Hey Carl. Yeah, I saw that they apparently changed the composite registration regs, and now you 'could' register it as year of body style. Sucks to see you were unsuccessful in changing it, since I thought about that as well. When I suggested that to the 'deputy', he made it sounds like I'd be cheating the system since the car was already titled as a 2004. Unbelievable.

It's becoming clear to me this guy relied on Google to do his job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson View Post
I tried to retitle mine last year. Called and spoke to the "Title Unit" was told to write a letter, send in $25.00, and a copy of the law about the "Year it most closely resembles". I did all that.
3 weeks later I got a letter back from the Title unit stating that they won't retitle my 2004 composite, because it was already titled......Took 6 months to get my $25 back.

Interestingly a buddy of mine was able to retitle his MK2 to a 1965 about 2 years ago.........go figure.

FFR4462K MKII
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 AM
FFCars Craftsman

So, since it is a "property" tax, are they going to start taxing you for the TV's you own? Boats? Lawnmowers? This could go on endlessly. Everything you own and paid taxes on when you bought could conceivably be taxed endlessly in the future.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 PM

Yes, it's called personal property tax (MA)

This is 12 pages long. Your first home and its contents are exempt. Buy a vacation or second home and fill it with hand-me-down furniture and appliance (even stuff you got for free) then it all gets taxed every year. Fun!
https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...pertyfaq_0.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 PM
Buck

Garage
IIRC here in GA mine was retitled as a 65 Cobra Replica. I did have to send in the title of authenticity from FFR and 2 or 3 value estimates from someone or somewhere (Ford dealer) they can contact. The dealer just asked me what I thought it was worth so I showed him the canceled bank check. The GA DMV then sent out an inspector and checked the head lights, brake lights and turn signals, seat belts, windshield, mirrors and that was it. He left some paperwork which I took to the registration office and got my plate and reg sticker and I was free to drive. The hardest part was getting them to understand that this is a replica and finding a proper code and not a restored original.

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 01:34 AM

What town are you in Redfish? I am in Stratford and we have a long way to go before we are ready to register. Most CT towns have their own method to calculate values, what portion of that value, and what mill rate they will tax you at based on their budgets. Sounds like your assessors evaluation methods are questionable?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

I'm in Middletown (Tax Assessor | Middletown, CT), and yes, questionable. I received the response below from the assessor today. I email him earlier this week to try to better understand how the deputy assessor assessed my vehicle, and request his assistance in providing the actual tools and documentation they used when reassessing this car for 2019, so we can better prepare our case for appeal.

Clearly they feel they do not need to substantiate their position. Seems like a crime to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
This office is required to value all vehicles in accordance with ß12-71d. which reads as follows: "Sec. 12-71d. Schedule of motor vehicle values. On or before the first day of October each year, the Secretary of the Office of Policy and Management shall recommend a schedule of motor vehicle values which shall be used by assessors in each municipality in determining the assessed value of motor vehicles for purposes of property taxation. For every vehicle not listed in the schedule the determination of the assessed value of any motor vehicle for purposes of the property tax assessment list in any municipality shall continue to be the responsibility of the assessor in such municipality.."

In other words, if a vehicle does not appear on the [pricing] schedule of motor vehicles (OPM has instructed all assessors to value motor vehicle based upon the NADA clean retail value as published in the October edition), the value shall be determined by the assessor. There is no reference as to what information must be obtained, used, or considered to make that determination.

When you make an appeal, the appeal is not whether the assessor erred in his calculations, used an incorrect body type, or has insufficient knowledge of the intricacies of the specific make, model, kit type, chassis, etc. of the vehicle in question. The appeal is that the value placed upon the vehicle is inaccurate, and the appellant is required to share their detailed knowledge of the vehicle to the Board of Assessment Appeals for consideration. If the Board is so compelled by the testimony and evidence presented at the hearing they will make a determination and move to issue a new value.

As such, it is my recommendation that you focus on the appeal, and persuading the Board of a fair value for the vehicle as of October 1, 2018 as is required, rather than "the actual tools and documentation" used by this office. A successful appeal will make the value placed on the vehicle invalid regardless of any information I may find.

However, without compelling testimony or evidence indicating a value you find more appropriate, the Board may simply move to deny your appeal.

Kindest regards,

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx, CCMA II
Assessor, City of Middletown
245 deKoven Dr.
Middletown, CT 06457
Tel: (860) 638-4930 Fax: (860) 638-1935

FFR4462K MKII
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 12:04 PM

It does sound like the assessor gave you instruction on a bit of an out but you will need to do the homework and be more prepared than "the board". In searching the NADA Guide I don't see the terms "Composite", "Shelby", or "Cobra". so I am not sure what they used for the assessment. I do see a 1965 Bristol Coupe ($408 - $409), but making a historical connection to the AC Bristol Body would be a stretch for most assessors. Good luck, I'll be following this thread.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 12:15 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Your best defence would seem to be to demonstrate that the assessor was confused between a number of similar-looking (but easily distinguished) cars made by different manufacturers.

Most likely the sold listings on eBay will be your friend here - go equipped with a couple of dozen FFR sales and they would be hard-pressed to argue - remember the assessor doesn't care/know about the build quality - it's just a Factory Five to them.

If you also go equipped with some Kirkham/Backdraft sales as well to demonstrate that the assessor simply confused completely different cars which look very similar.

If you can build an argument around something other than "the assessor is an idiot", and instead around a simple mistake in using a Backdraft/Kirkham price instead of a FFR price, you should be good.

Oh, and if you think you have CT problems - you might feel better knowing about this poor guy who apparently owns the most expensive car in Darien, CT - a BMW 440i XDR valued at an astonishing $387,800.

Anyone else thinking "typo?".

https://www.darientimes.com/news/com...r-14024187.php
Redfish thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everywhere :

"I didn't build it - I'm rebuilding it.." Mark III FFR4331 - Ford Crate 4.6 DOHC, Accel Gen 7 Engine Harness, Quality Roadsters A/C System, Power Cobra R Brakes with Hydroboost, Power Steering, 275X17/315X17, BMW Titanium Silver with HOK Brandywine Stripes, Intake, and Valve Covers.

Last edited by rockpool; 07-28-2019 at 12:20 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
2007 Calendar Cover Car

I'm with ya, I think that's the right approach. Show 'what it is' ($11K FFR kit, bought in 2002, donor car, registered in 2004) vs. 'what it is not' (new Superformance with a new big block, $90K+). Keep the 'assessor is an idiot' comments until after I get the refund.

I'll be interested to see what eBay yields, since as you mentioned, even in the FFR family, there are versions (MKI, MKII, etc) and things like options, engines and paint can swing prices. The fact is that this is a 17-year old kit registered in 2004. Depreciation also needs to be factored in, just like a production car. A 2002 mustang is not valued the same as a 2019.

Funny this thread is running at the same time: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...at-s-cost.html. Great example of a wide spectrum of costs, even some early builds.

Thanks for the guidance.

BTW, ouch in Darien!!!

FFR4462K MKII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement