Recommendations for Spark Plug Wires - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By JKleiner
  • 1 Post By turbonut48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Recommendations for Spark Plug Wires

Hey guys, I need a new set of plug wires. Im running a 5.0 (302), with GT40P heads and FFR/BBK 4 into 4 headers.
My FRPP wires were good for a few years, but 2 are close to the headers and failed. Thanks for your suggestions.

FFR 4857K - MK II, 5.0 EFI, 3.73's, Levy Street Bump Steer kit, Power Brakes, Paxton, Fiji Blue with white stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 06:38 PM
Not a waxer

I've had excellent results with Taylor wires. Ford Racing wires not so much...

Jeff

Mark Reynolds thanked this.

Mk3 #5946 build pics w/text

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 #7276 "indy14" Build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mk4 Bodywork thread

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:33 PM

I have had good luck with ford racing wires.
the GT40P heads are a problem with the FFR headers.
there is 1 plug very close on each side that will eventually burn
the boot due to proximity to heat.
best Thing I have found are the Kevlar sleeves to go over the boots.

The Traveling Builder
717-599-9232 Wanda for scheduling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

Taylor or MSD kits.

Make them so they fit your motor. Don't buy the universal set. They never fit the motor, two wires are to long and one or two are to short.

They are very easy to make up. All you need is a vise.

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Plug Wires

I like Taylor, but I've also used Accel wires with the ceramic boots. I had a car that kept burning a couple of the boots. The ceramic boots solved the problem.

Mark IV #7900
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jon View Post
I like Taylor, but I've also used Accel wires with the ceramic boots. I had a car that kept burning a couple of the boots. The ceramic boots solved the problem.
Ditto. After burning through the first set of wires after 1000 miles, no problem with the ceramic ones ever since.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:46 PM

I used these hi temp boot sleeves.

I'm still in go kart so don't know how it will work out just yet.

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
First start: 6/22/19
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:57 PM

I bought the boots for mine. Used them for 4 years now. They ve protected the wires really well.
Tom H
Danner thanked this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
I've got these: https://performancedistributors.com/...ivewires-ford/

You can also get them from Summit Racing.

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM

I have good luck with Ford racing wites9

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:27 AM

I bought new Ford Racing wires for my 1996 DOHC 4.6. Put them on new when I put the motor in the Cobra. Car ran good for a few hundred miles and then started to misfire, gradually getting worse and worse. Chased the problem for months before I decided to try the old wires, immediately ran perfect again. Multiple wires out of the set failed. Replaced with Taylor wires and no problems since.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:04 AM
FFCobra Craftsman

Funny how our experiences differ isn't it? I have had Summit house brand universal wires on mine for about 5 years along w/ boots like silver_pilate's. The 45 deg plug ends fixed the couple that were in contact w/ the headers in the previous set w/ straight ends.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:20 AM

Plug angle on the GT40P is different and so more of a challenge to keep boots away from headers. I'm a fan of trim your own to length and assemble (Taylor)

2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:50 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

I second Mark, I thoroughly enjoyed getting the Taylor cut-to-length wires and using the crimping tool. It cuts and crimps the ends perfectly and effortlessly. I haven't been able to re-figure out the Photobucket thing but my wires are nice and tidy.

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Senior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
Plug angle on the GT40P is different and so more of a challenge to keep boots away from headers. I'm a fan of trim your own to length and assemble (Taylor)
Same here. I have the big, thick Taylor custom set. Get the good crimping tool, the little aluminum thing will only frustrate you. I also have a set of Roush aluminum wire looms to lock the wires down the keep them exactly where you want them (and away from headers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BilletPlugWireLoom-6-726110.jpg (62.1 KB, 17 views)

- Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter
New Owner of
- Custom Metal Components for Your FFR Roadster
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I am using Taylor. No issues in 22,000 miles

Completely agree with Bill_VA, get the proper tool.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Buck

Garage
I vote with Taylor Universal cut to length. Also get the 135 boots, they clear the headers so they don't burn. Silicone electrical grease helps a lot mounting the boot.
Buck

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Wires

Thanks all, I'll tackle this after vacation.

FFR 4857K - MK II, 5.0 EFI, 3.73's, Levy Street Bump Steer kit, Power Brakes, Paxton, Fiji Blue with white stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement