Hydraulic clutch-opinions? - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Captain

Hydraulic clutch-opinions?

I am almost at the stage of mounting the clutch and transmission and I figure there is no better or more convenient time to add the hydraulic clutch, but I am curious what everyone's experience is with it. Any opinions, for or against, are welcome.

Thanks.

Steve K
FFR#3906
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:20 PM

I bought the slave cylinder kit from Daze: https://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestT5kit.html

Then I got a wilwood master cylinder from Summit and a pre-made hydraulic line from them too, and an extra reservoir from FFR.

Wasnít very expensive to do, and the wilwood pedal box from FFR was designed for a 3rd master cylinder so everything just bolted up essentially. I never messed with the cable clutch so I have no experience to compare the two, but the hudraulic clutch feels exactly like the one in my daily driver jeep.

MK IV # 8639 Delivered June 2015 - SBF 347 w/450hp, FITECH 30002, Levy SA T5, 3 Link w/ 3.55's, cobra discs, manual brakes/steering
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 01:51 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

I have had issues with my clutch in the past and wanted to go hydraulic and as a last effort bought a really good cable from Maximum Motorsports. It’s like butter now. Can’t see how hydraulic could be any easier and I have driven many with one.

Just a thought

FFR# 3247,3535,3730,3951,4338, and 5665
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:38 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

The slave cylinder ends is relatively easy to switch over. I think the tough part will be the MC end. Per Keyser, it looks like later FFRs are set up for it. I am not sure about yours though. When my 8 yrs old cable gave up 2 years ago I installed an oem Ford cable. Not sure how my Spec2+ clutch is compared to others but the clutch effort is just fine for a 71 yr old non athletic type.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Thumbs up

I put 42,000 miles on my Cobra with a cable. I had to adjust it a couple of times when the cable stretched.

I have several old hyd slaves in the back room that I replaced on other Cobras.

I like a cable

RCR GT 40, 347 with Eight Stack Injection system with 0 miles
1966 Ford Fairlane GT 2 door hardtop with 390 5 speed.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:12 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Hydraulic Clutch

I did the same thing. Works great and a super simple design. I used a Tilton Master but same experience with the Wilwood pedal box.

I used a variation of this kit for a TKO600 -- https://www.dazecars.com/dazed/Test3550bracket.html

Great thing about this kit is that the slave cylinder is a common stock part. You will always be able to find a replacement. https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-33627-cs37793.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysergogo View Post
I bought the slave cylinder kit from Daze: https://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestT5kit.html

Then I got a wilwood master cylinder from Summit and a pre-made hydraulic line from them too, and an extra reservoir from FFR.

Wasn’t very expensive to do, and the wilwood pedal box from FFR was designed for a 3rd master cylinder so everything just bolted up essentially. I never messed with the cable clutch so I have no experience to compare the two, but the hudraulic clutch feels exactly like the one in my daily driver jeep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

First GoCart 05/23/2015

Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-14-2019 at 04:18 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:02 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
As I have commented on many threads, I designed and built my own external slave system that works with the Fox pedals and a SPEC Mk3 clutch. It has smooth easy effort, and hes been perfect since I put it together in 2005.

I am one for the fluid side!

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 AM

Garage
I am using a Tilton hydraulic clutch release bearing and I couldnít be happier with it.

Sam

Coupe #453 delivered June 28, 2009;
First drive October 29, 2013.
Completed October 5, 2016.

461 cid Butler Performance Pontiac
522 hp, 577 ft/lbs @ 4500 rpm
SCCA Super Production Class ID 10-1488

"This might be difficult..."

Blog of my build:

Link to my photo album:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

I had a cable clutch for 21,000 miles. Mine was the old design with the offset quadrant. For anyone that still has that, take this as a warning. The offset torque ruined my Wilwood pedal box. It ovaled the hole in the box that holds the pedal shaft. No fun changing a pedal box in a complete car.

Back to the subject. The cable was OK, very stiff. My clutched engaged closer to the floor than I liked even with some pre-load, but there is no real way to adjust that. My Ford cable (used the FFR one as a spare) was starting to fray a little a the quadrant. Going to change the cable is when I found the slop in the pedal.

I changed to a hydraulic setup. It is a little bit lighter. More linear. It has WAAAAY better feel. I was surprised at that. It also engages about half way up which is perfect, especially when autocrossing or on the track where you shift fast. I also have adjustability if needed. So far, I love it.

I used a Dazecars salve cylinder (some OE type part, with a nice amount of throw), and his adjustable pushrod. I made my own bracket and used a Wilwood master.

I would definitely go hydraulic if I were doing it again.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 PM

I have fortes hydraulic setup and it’s great, I’ve driven a FFR wilwood cable setup and actually struggled as it just didn’t have nearly as nice a feel.
Very happy with my decision, so far. Knock on wood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement