Air conditioning advice and pictures please - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By MARIAH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Captain

Air conditioning advice and pictures please

I am almost at the point of dropping the engine in my mk2 roadster (only about 15 years late, but it's a long story), and I am thinking now would be the best time to put air conditioning/heat in, rather than just heat as I had planned. I'd appreciate any recommendations on units, pictures of the firewall, and dashboard, so I can see how you guys did it.

Thanks in advance!

Steve K
FFR#3906
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Don't have any pics of mine but Richard Oben at Northracecars.com sells a kit. He makes the aluminum "box" for the firewall and then re-sells a kit from a hot rod AC vendor that fits in it. He has some photos on the site.

Mine works well (for a not modern car not factory AC if you get my meaning).

I did decide to put the wiper motor in the drivers footbox mounted to the top of my donor pedal box due to space issues on the pass side.

Greg

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:49 PM

I also went with Richards kit. I can search for some pics.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mk IV #9662 delivery 12/2017
Coyote Gen2, TKO 600, 3.55, Edelbrock TVS2650 Supercharger, ABS, Fast Eddies Hydro Electric power steering, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump with speed controller, Advance Fuel Dynamics ProFlex fuel system (E85), Levy Billet front control arms, NRC Air Conditioner, 12.88 Willwood, Casey Designs dash, drop trunk, trans tunnel Lokar E-brake, RT turn signal, Breeze rollbars among other Breeze parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:05 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Lots of added complexity to install AC in one of these cars. You might want to survey owners who have done it and ask if, when done, if it was worth it. I took a ride in a friends car with AC. The open cockpit sucks the cold air out, so your upper body does not get cooled much. I put a heater in my build and it's effectiveness was affected in the same way, however warming the legs and feet is so worth it when cold. Recently a guy pointed out the defroster is pretty much useless in the Cobra, however instead of connecting two ports to the defroster, he ran them toward other areas under the dash. Something to consider whether you go AC with heat or just with a heater.

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:06 PM

I also have a MK2 with the AC unit from Northracecars. It works well, but I never use it without the top on. I tend to drive year round because we do not have much other than Spring out here in Northern California. Even when it gets over 100F, I do not use the AC. It makes cold air at the vents and you can stick your fingers in them to cool down. With the hard top on, even without the windows, I can feel the difference with the AC on. I will grab some pictures today for you.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:44 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
I have Richardís A/C and heat in mine. I agree with the top off, not much help, where it really shines is with the top on and windows in during the rain, keeps the windows clear and the inside comfortable. Iíll stress the need to fully seal the cockpit from the engine compartment, itís amazing how a small opening can funnel a lot of heat in the car. Iíd do it again in a heartbeat.

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Senior Charter Member

Good Morning, Steven. I've missed you since we moved from Fort Mill years ago. I hope I can jump in here without hijacking your thread.

Our MkI/II is 16 years into the adventure also and we are ready to move ahead with Richard Oben's A/C-Heat so we can enjoy the next 16 years (Dang.....I'll be 91 then!!). The North Race Car site has some photos that got me started. You have probably seen them. I have not yet identified anything that can't be handled with time and patience.

You may have probably already been here too, but the below got me started in my thinking about issues:
https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...er-yes-no.html

I would be interested from others about their experience with any relocation of the WIPER MOTOR and IGNITION COIL (MSD Blaster II for me). These two seem to be problematic in our completed roadster.

Phillip

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:05 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIAH View Post
I would be interested from others about their experience with any relocation of the WIPER MOTOR and IGNITION COIL (MSD Blaster II for me). These two seem to be problematic in our completed roadster.

Phillip
Phillip,

I have both, the A/C does make the wiper motor install interesting. Thereís a little room to the outside of the A/C box, but not much and I was afraid I couldnít get to it with the body on in case of a problem. I opted to put it inside the drivers side foot box, fabbed up a mount to the upper 3/4 tube, then made a pass thru for the cable. Works fine.

My blaster 2 is mounted vertically on the drivers side F panel, been there for 21,000 miles.

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:51 PM
Senior Charter Member

Thank you, John.

I'll know more about the wiper motor when Richard's box is in place (Got a show in August and a USMC thing in September, so probably October to begin the actual work).
You are right about the coil, that seemed to be the only place left for me with the compressor in place.

MSD makes a horizontal coil, but I could not see even a place on the intake for that.
I'll take some measurements and see if my coil wire will work or get another.

Phillip
John4337 thanked this.

PHILLIP, SemperFi, They call the wind MARIAH.
"Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

Last edited by MARIAH; 07-12-2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Spelling error
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Phillip, let me know if you need anything. Feel free to pm for my phone/email.

John

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Garage
i know it's not a/c but does anyone make a scoop for the roadster like they do for the Miata?

Cool Breeze Scoop

just learning... planning... scheming :)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement