A Couple of Strange Questions - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 1Thanks
  • 1 Post By EZ$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

A Couple of Strange Questions

Well one strange, and another not so much.
Does anyone know what the opening that this cover fills in was for, or is for? For the life of me, I can't find anything that it would be used for. As a note, I'm not talking about the round hole. That's for the fuel filler tube, since this is an FIA.
IMAG1289 by Rick Paul, on Flickr

The other question is, how much fluid does the stock Mustang power steering pump typically hold? Need to purchase from the local Honda dealer, and I don't want to get too much, or too little.

I'm finishing up some small items so that I can attempt a first start. My work schedule has cleared, so I have time to work on the car again. Now I need to purchase a battery.

Rick

MK4 w/ Mr. Bruce FIA body, Levy 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI

Last edited by EZ$; 07-04-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ$ View Post
The other question is, how much fluid does the stock Mustang power steering pump typically hold? Need to purchase from the local Honda dealer, and I don't want to get too much, or too little.

I'm finishing up some small items so that I can attempt a first start. My work schedule has cleared, so I have time to work on the car again. Now I need to purchase a battery.
If I remember correctly, it should be less then 1-quart. If you buy an extra quart, just leave it sealed.

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks Ray. I couldn't find any reference to the quantity anywhere. I'll be picking that up tomorrow.

Rick

MK4 w/ Mr. Bruce FIA body, Levy 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 03:07 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
Your welcome. Hope the start goes well for you. If you haven’t thought about it roll the car outside and have one person who’s ONLY job is to stand by with a fire extinguisher.

There’s been a few cases where cars were started in the garage and a fuel line wasn’t tight or something went wrong. The resulting fire was devastating.

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks Ray. My wife has already told me that she wants me to roll it into the street! I told her that may be a bit of overkill, but truly, the fuel line issue is my worst fear, but not my only one. After all, I'm the one who put this thing together!

Rick

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:28 PM

Mine is a Coyote, with return line, so quite a bit of plumbing and at 55psi, plenty of fuel pressure. Prior to first start I ran the fuel pump for 15 minutes. This allowed for a visual and 'sniff' test for leaks without sources of ignition. Was worth doing as I had a weep at one of the flares that needed better seating. Small weeps may not be easy to see but they sure are easy to smell.

HTH, Nige
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Thanks Nigel, I also have a return line on this system, running I believe 45 lbs. I was trying to figure how I could pressurize the system without fuel, but in the long run, I think you have the right idea. Once everything is in place, I'll get the system up to pressure, and check for leaks. Thanks for the idea.

Rick

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:51 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

The Honda fluid comes in smaller bottles, 12 oz. It's been too long since I filled a dry system so I can't be sure but I'd get 4 bottles.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Craig, I just got back from the Honda dealer, and it kind of threw me when I saw the size of the bottles. Then I actually had to do math to figure how many would make a quart! My head hurts. Anyway, I must have done the math correctly, cause I bought four bottles.

Rick

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:10 PM

Why are you using Honda p/s fluid in a Ford pump ?

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Well, in following some different threads over the years, some people on the forums, who I respect for their knowledge of these cars, have mentioned many times that, for whatever reason, the Honda fluid will run cooler and protect the pump better.

Rick

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 PM

The square hole is where my shock tower mounts. 4 and 3 link. I'm guessing your'e IRS?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

duncalope, you are correct. I was wondering if this was for the 3 or 4 link suspension setups. I guess FFR just includes the patch for us IRS guys. I wish they would make mention of these differences in the assembly manuals. Thanks for the info.
duncalope thanked this.

Rick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement