AFR 185 Heads and MKII Hooker 4 into 4 sidepipes - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
AFR 185 Heads and MKII Hooker 4 into 4 sidepipes

I know the old "Header" section of the sidepipes had to have a bevel ground into the lower flange edge to clear a bump on the GT-40 heads.

Do the AFR's need more clearance?

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Not sure about the 185s but from my experience with AFR heads (205, 225 & 220s) the flat mounting surface is fairly large. I have had to cut the top of the header flange to clear a "lip" just below the valve cover mounting surface on a previous set of headers.

I just finished a flange design for 220 & 225s, spent a lot of time measuring and drawing in CAD. Had new flanges laser burned, came out really well.

No experience with the GT-40 heads and the "bump".

Not sure if I can help but would be happy to try.

Jim

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:22 PM
FFCars Major

I'm sure the AFR heads have more clearance, but I'd still do a quick check when they show up. I have the BBK long tube headers. I can't go check as my car is still on "high & dry ground" storage, may come home today or tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 06:41 PM
2007 Calendar Cover Car

My MKII-vintage headers bolt right up to my AFR 185s, no issues.

FFR4462K MKII
331 Dual 390CFM Holley Quads, AFR 185s, Comp Cams XE274HR
315 Mod, IRS, FR500s, Power Cobra Brakes, Manual Steering

'68 Mustang Hardtop, 302, C4
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

I have the hooker Mark II headers with AFR185 and AFR205 heads. Both fit fine.

FFR3842, 363ci/600hp, AFR205's, Wilwood 6/4 piston Superlites, Koni DAs, Magnesium bellhousing and Tilton Triple disk clutch, GF5R dog ringed 5 speed, 3link, VPM sway bars, Hoosier A6s, CCW forged wheels, wings, undertray, diffuser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement