Trunk panels - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Bob Cowan
  • 1 Post By jhargrove
  • 1 Post By CDXXVII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

I think this looks good. I could not get the fuel tank strap off properly. I could have if I really need too but it would not been very easy to put back. If I ever need to I can get it done. So I just bent the tabs I still need to clean that up.

I threaded the liscence plate wire through a piece of the frame to keep it out of the way of the panels.

I personally do not feel as though I need any space in the trunk so I left it Maybe one day I will change my mind.

I'm always careful but today the Cobra finally bit me. These aluminum panels are no joke. 7 stitches.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190621_162822_1561156322351.jpg (203.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20190621_162834_1561156422579.jpg (199.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20190621_121415_1561156776626.jpg (173.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20190621_123252_1561156808599.jpg (193.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20190621_162801_1561156900509.jpg (249.1 KB, 49 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:16 PM

When I installed most of my panels, I was taking Coumadin. That's when I learned to wear mechanics gloves for this sort of thing.

Toadster thanked this.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
HPDE Instructor
FFR 3691K: Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.
BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 speed auto, Edelbrock Blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

[QUOTE=Bob Cowan;6065714]When I installed most of my panels, I was taking Coumadin. That's when I learned to wear mechanics gloves for this sort of thing.[/QUOTE

My son used my gloves for weeding. I could not find them. I had gloves on with no fingers. Lol no good. Always gloves always safety glasses. This time just the wrong kind.
Toadster thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:12 AM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Panel Order

Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Make sure to fasten the upper trunk floor before you permanently install the rear cockpit bulkhead. You will not be able to properly fasten the front of the upper trunk floor otherwise.
Toadster thanked this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015

First GoCart 05/23/2015
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Make sure to fasten the upper trunk floor before you permanently install the rear cockpit bulkhead. You will not be able to properly fasten the front of the upper trunk floor otherwise.
Thank you. Yup I saw that. Thank you
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDXXVII View Post
Looking great!!!

Just an FYI

Yeah, figured that out the hard way. Was able to make it work without pulling the cockpit bulkhead, but it would have been way easier without it in the way.

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
First start: 6/22/19
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Just a suggestion, but you are at a stage where you could still install additional storage above the gas tank. These trunks are so space limited, anything you can recover is worth the effort IMO. At the time I built mine, I had to come up with my own design. I recovered 5 inches of depth across almost 2/3 of the distance across the lower level.

I believe that Russ Thompson has a trunk storage box kit available, just not shown on his website. Something to consider before you finish up the trunk floor.

RT's Custom Cobra Car Parts

MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, 255/40-17 F 295/35-17 R Kumho XS, dual roll bars, Kirkey high back seats, paint by Jeff Miller, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.

New project, 1970 Mustang fastback restomod. Started 10/14/16.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:01 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Trunk

I did this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
Just a suggestion, but you are at a stage where you could still install additional storage above the gas tank. These trunks are so space limited, anything you can recover is worth the effort IMO. At the time I built mine, I had to come up with my own design. I recovered 5 inches of depth across almost 2/3 of the distance across the lower level.

I believe that Russ Thompson has a trunk storage box kit available, just not shown on his website. Something to consider before you finish up the trunk floor.

RT's Custom Cobra Car Parts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dropped Trunk _ 1.jpg (252.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Dropped Trunk.jpg (244.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Trunk Carpet.jpg (237.5 KB, 54 views)

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015

First GoCart 05/23/2015
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Maybe one day. Right now I don't plan I doing anything that requires a trunk.

I have a normal size trunk on my mustang and I rearlly use it.

Pretty awesome cool mod with the battery!

Jason

Last edited by jhargrove; 06-22-2019 at 06:16 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM

Yikes. I sliced my knuckle open installing by front battery box. Superglued it closed. I want to make at shirt for my garage calling it "Bloody knuckles garage, where timelines and budgets don't exist"

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 AM

If you haven’t attached the sides of the tunnel covers, put in the bolts for the inner seat belts first. That’s one of the gotcha moments that can cause a headache by the head banging of frustration. There is no room for the nut. The bolthead is thin enough, but getting it in is impossible once the tunnel sides are in.

Mk4 complete kit, 331 Stroker, TKO600, Moser 3.55, Fitech 600
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewha View Post
If you haven’t attached the sides of the tunnel covers, put in the bolts for the inner seat belts first. That’s one of the gotcha moments that can cause a headache by the head banging of frustration. There is no room for the nut. The bolthead is thin enough, but getting it in is impossible once the tunnel sides are in.
Another option on that end that I read from Jeff and others is to drill a 1/2" hole through the tunnel aluminum using the inner belt bracket as a guide. Then run the bolt and washer through the drilled hole from inside the tunnel, securing with the nut inside the car. Tightening down the nut will collapse the aluminum to the bracket and the washer/bolt seal the hole against water intrusion.

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:07 PM

another victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_pilate View Post
Another option on that end that I read from Jeff and others is to drill a 1/2" hole through the tunnel aluminum using the inner belt bracket as a guide. Then run the bolt and washer through the drilled hole from inside the tunnel, securing with the nut inside the car. Tightening down the nut will collapse the aluminum to the bracket and the washer/bolt seal the hole against water intrusion.
shoot...i guess i'm in the same boat. thanks for the insight on how to remedy this without removing the panel.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:40 PM

You could always drill 1 1/4" holes to place the seat belt bolts and then fill the hole with the Ron Francis grommets. I did it this way to route my seat heater wires inside the tunnel. They come into the cockpit at the exact place where they won't get damaged. Many ways to address the issue.

Scott
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Snake Farmer

Garage
Yeah.. the kit doesn't come supplied with blood, sweat, and tears..The builder has to provide them..
Least you've got the blood part over with now..
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 01:43 AM
FFCars Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by egchewy View Post
shoot...i guess i'm in the same boat. thanks for the insight on how to remedy this without removing the panel.
That's also how the instruction manual says to do it. Works fine.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by egchewy View Post
That's also how the instruction manual says to do it. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/FFCars_2016/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG] Works fine.
Wait...there's an instruction book?!? 😮

Sponsored Links
Advertisement