Gtf - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Gtf

What’s the latest on the GTF? FFR going to release something this year? I need a new project!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:22 PM

I have been waiting for updates as well. I think I saw a tease from FFR that there might be something big coming down the pipeline, so who knows. It will be years before I am in a position to build another car, but it's intriguing.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Sema

About 35 days to SEMA. Any word if FFR will have a GTF there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 05:32 PM

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 06:46 PM
Senior Charter Member

Nice...

Thanks for posting, a very interesting read.

Regards, Rick.

One silly question. How do you shape the body from the initial CNC rendering of foam to the smoothed body and maintain the symmetry of the design shape? It appears to the uneducated that the final shape is again from hand work.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZN 427 View Post
One silly question. How do you shape the body from the initial CNC rendering of foam to the smoothed body and maintain the symmetry of the design shape? It appears to the uneducated that the final shape is again from hand work.
We did this for our Formula SAE race car by using the marine boat hull method. You 'slice' the 3D CAD model and print outline sections, transfer each slice's shape to plywood, and assemble them in series with foam sandwiched between the plywood sheets. Then you sand down the foam and the flat edges of plywood to match the contour you're looking for. The plywood keeps you from departing too far from the original shape.

It's probably more automated these days, this was back in '89.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:23 AM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

Hey initiator, that's how I did our Formula SAE car back in 95'. Cool project. That project is probably why I race cars today.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 12:42 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

Quick looking through that link, I believe the foam is shaped slightly undersized, then the brown layer is applied and that is shaped to the final size. I know 35 yrs ago I was working on a race car that needed wider fenders. They had a body guy come over and he added spray foam to the body. Cut it to a slightly undersized shape using one of those cheese grater hand files. Then he slathered on some standard body filler. He shaped that w/ regular sand paper, primed it, and painted it. Then he made the molds by laying fiberglass over the painted shape. I imagine the brown we see in that link about the GTf is an upgraded version of body filler. Although I couldn't find this detail in the link, I am pretty sure they use the cnc to shape the brown layer also.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Administrator

That link is over a year old and I can tell you the new car looks nothing like that.

It looks much MUCH better!

David Hodgkins, AKA CNGreen

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Delivered 4/23/06.

. Plates! 1/2010 BatCave! 1/2012.
Featured Roadster, 2012 and 2013 Huntington Beach Cruise-In
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:04 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
That link is over a year old and I can tell you the new car looks nothing like that.

It looks much MUCH better!

I hope they did something to the front rear wheel area. That's one are I dislike A LOT! But hey, that's my opinion.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 02:05 PM

I picked up my roadster the week after that car was revealed. As stated above, Dave and his team had already changed what they had in mind. In the year since that time, I'm sure they've made even more changes that I am unaware of. Looking forward to seeing the final design. It should be pretty amazing from what Dave envisioned.

Scott
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 09:22 PM

I saw the reviewed/ reformed car... it’s sooooo much cooler!

FFR 5136-Donor 5.0,donor guages,z-spec,4-link w/coilovers,TFS street,C&L 73maf,BBK 70 tb,17"cobra "R" on BFG kdw's
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Charter Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement