Life is strange! - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
FFCars Craftsman

Life is strange!

Have you ever been on vacation and all you can think about is what's next on the build and when can I get back to it? Lol

From The Dells

Jason

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM

Yes! OR, man I wish I had the Cobra...this road would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:18 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
Yes! OR, man I wish I had the Cobra...this road would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
I just went through that. 6 weeks in New Zealand in a borrowed Toyota Corolla wagon that Said "Dr. Collision courtesy car" on the side and it reeked of gear oil. It was a friends parts runner car. Free, so I cant complain. At least it had a manual transmission.

What hurt even worse was the three times I saw a Cobra go by.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 PM

Right now I finally have some momentum going again to get this car under its own power and get it to Kleiner. For the longest time I didn't have time to work on it with the kids, wife, and work taking up all my time and no motivation afterwards. Now that I finally have the engine in and am trying to button things up to get to first start, it's the last thing I think about when I go to bed and on my mind most of the rest of the day with a huge urge to get back to the shop and continue working. I wish I had some days free of work obligations so that I can take some PTO and hammer out more things.

Related to that, it seems like the first part of the build flew by for me with little in the way of problems. Sure, there were the occasional issues that had to be addressed/solved, but it seemed like the push toward roller wasn't too bad. This last part, trying to get it under power, it seems like every. single. step. involves some sort of problem(s), forum searching, parts order, etc. in order to get it completed. I think part of it is how vague the build manual gets moving forward since there are so many variations to drivetrain, etc.

Examples:
I spent 4 hours in the shop the other just trying to get radiator hoses (!) sorted out. The stainless hose would BARELY fit in the couplers, and that took all 250 pounds of my weight trying to get them in. The coupler would NOT fit on the water pump output. No elbow provided with the kit for the top end. The hose barb on the filler tube is much bigger than the fittings I have for my Canton overflow tank, etc, etc. I finally bit it and bought Mark's lower hose, though I'm sure I'll have to problem solve to get it to fit somehow as well.

Clutch cable? Ordered a Ford cable because they work better....oops, it's not adjustable, and FFR only gives you a spacer at the front of the footbox. Clutch pedal too high. Have to order an adjustable Ford clutch cable and firewall adjuster (because why not) so I can get the pedal height set without preloading the throwout bearing. Oh, and pushing the clutch pedal in...the swaged end of the cable captured in the quadrant actually hits the top of the pedal box frame. The hole it's suppose to go in is inboard 1/2 and inch, and I verified that it is assembled correctly. Had to pull out a carbide burr and clearance the opening to allow full travel..........

It never ends, but I sure hope the hours and hours of butting my head on issue after issue come to a close soon so I can get this car on the road and enjoy it.

Vent over. As frustrating as it all is, I REALLY want to get back to the shop right now and get to work!

--Nathan

MKIV Complete Kit(order placed: 4/5/16; order completion: 5/14/16; delivered: 5/24/16): 3-link, PC, cutouts, vintage gauges, glove-box dash, chrome roll bars; 17" wheels, B/T leather seats, wind wings/visors sourced during separate 50/50 sale; side pipes and headers sourced through Gan-n
Drive train: Levy 408w w/carb, TKO600, Moser 8.8 with 3.55s and GT rear brakes
Paint Plan: Under consideration (probably dark grey/titanium with silver stripes)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:56 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Life sure is strange. I Pulled up to a red light a while ago.Some white haired "OLD" women ,and I mean OLD pulled up along side me . Beeping her horn like she had a stroke.Rolled down her window.Gave me thumbs up .And said, lets hear it LOL.She must of been 95 or 100 or 200 at least I said,you cant hear it ?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Ray

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Ray
Yep, I got the manual and my donor. Got the radiator pulled and the next day we left for 3-weeks in Playa del Camen and Tulum. I was sitting on the beach drinking beer and thinking about the next steps.

Ray

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement...I'd be unstoppable!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:14 PM

Ordering parts

I'm ordering parts while on vaca, timing their arrivals to be there when I get home! No sense of wasting time. I totally agree that the first third of the build flew by. Things are coming to a crawl as I read about fuel systems, wiring ideas, etc. Hoping to tear down and rebuild the engine in the next couple of weeks. Need to get the trans checked out as it's pulled off a donor.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:47 PM

My vacations always ended up in costing me way more money. As I sat in the room after a long day I would enter the inter webs and figure “oh that would be perfect” and order parts.

Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mk IV #9662 delivery 12/2017
Coyote Gen2, TKO 600, 3.55, Edelbrock TVS2650 Supercharger, ABS, Fast Eddies Hydro Electric power steering, Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump with speed controller, Advance Fuel Dynamics ProFlex fuel system (E85), Levy Billet front control arms, NRC Air Conditioner, 12.88 Willwood, Casey Designs dash, drop trunk, trans tunnel Lokar E-brake, RT turn signal, Breeze rollbars among other Breeze parts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 PM

My last vacation was taking 2 days off to work on the car. Problem solved!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 AM
FFCars Craftsman

Using my vacation time to plot my next steps would have been MUCH cheaper than the route I settled on. After a couple of "do-overs" I would start my weekend mornings with a cigar and a coffee while I plotted my build plan for the day. I would debate all my key questions: "Should I mount the brake hardlines before I install the rear aluminum?" "Should I mount the electric fuel pump before I install the diff?".

This actually worked pretty well which led to a 2nd cigar around lunch to plan the afternoon activities. During the work week I continued the trend and sat with my cigar staring at the car before I left for work. Later, I would finish the day with another cigar while I sat in the driveway staring at the car. After two years I learned that I made the top 10 in monthly cigar sales at Serious Cigars :-(. Turned into a pretty expensive habit that continues to this day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement