Help on What Engine to Choose - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Real time recon
  • 1 Post By wickershaw
  • 1 Post By mg2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Help on What Engine to Choose

So, before I was going to sell the MK4, but then someone on here suggested I hire the traveling builder, Mark. He is great. He came out a couple of weeks ago and got me started and will get me to the finish line. So we were talking motors and I told him that I'm more into this car for the look of it than for the engine size. So he recommended a 302. Someone from The Engine Factory quoted me and it seemed rather high of a price! I think it was $11k. With all the transmission and other things, it was around $16K. That seemed quite high. I live near Summit Racing so I went down there and they have a 302 for $3200.

So what am I missing? I want an automatic transmission and an engine that is enough to give it medium power. I am not trying to drive crazy. This car is for cruising around on weekends in nice weather. That's it. I am NOT a big engine kind of guy.

I know I sound ignorant on these matters...I am fine with that. But I am sure there are people out there on this forum who can appreciate that I don't need a big engine.

Last edited by pgabrail; 06-08-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: I wanted email updates when someone posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:29 PM
FFCars Captain

At the risk of stating the obvious, the answer is it depends on what you want. That 302 from Summit is likely an OE replacement style engine with similar power. The 302 from Engine Factory would have been a custom build and much higher HP. I personally don't have experience with them, but Blueprint Engines is a partner of Factory Five now, and do offer a ready-to-run 302 that's toward the lower price range of what you're looking at. At 235 HP is going to be leisurely, but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. Lots of builds used donor engines, and that's probably the most economical. Automatic transmission adds another variable, while certainly doable, isn't too common.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, I dont think I will be using a donor car. But the $11K for the engine alone seemed like a lot. I had emailed my BluePrint rep this morning before I posted this so I will be getting some information from him soon. Of course, you get what you pay for. I agree 100% but I also don't want to pay for more just because it's more. I don't need or want more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Major

HP and strength of parts = cost

My 600hp, 7200 rpm race engine, dart block, forged everything, solid roller is almost 20k.

It depends on what you want. Sounds like a 400hp 347ci crate motor for 6-8k would be perfect.

FFR3842, 363ci/600hp, AFR205's, Wilwood 6/4 piston Superlites, Koni DAs, Magnesium bellhousing and Tilton Triple disk clutch, GF5R dog ringed 5 speed, 3link, VPM sway bars, Hoosier A6s, CCW forged wheels, wings, undertray, diffuser
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

I don't even think I want 400 hp
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:16 PM
FFCars Craftsman

EFI 5.0 302 in my opinion is a Great choice for these cars.But 10 to 15K seems high (unless your in the market) for a 302 w/over 400-450 HP.Anyhow, its a great engine,Never Overheats,and 2 hundred pounds less than a 427 Tons of OEM parts.New top of the line Stangs are 302.Time proven,battle tested I'm pushing 345 HP and in 3 years have never found the need to floor it.If you go w/a 302 ,go w/a 373 rear ....that's all ya need
jolsen42 thanked this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:09 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Build a Eng , or buy, a crate 302 like this (w/these components) and done.Don't forger your dealing with a (1) Ton vehicle .Unless you going on the track its all you'll ever need for the street.
>> https://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-...-camshaft.html
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:25 PM

I used City Motorworks in Dallas, TX for my 393 stroker motor for my mustang. They had great prices. For my cobra I used a Ford Racing crate Coyote motor and both were well under 11k. I don't think I have 11k in the motor, tko600 and it's for the cobra. My dad on the other hand had a custom build 454 for his Chevelle and has probably 15k in it, so it all depends on what you want and what your budget can support.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 PM
FFCars Master Craftsman

Fortes Parts

Why don't you call Mike Fortes ( One of the Forum Vendors )

He sells packages specifically set up for these cars.

Here is a complete package including transmission for a little over $12k but not with the Automatic. I'm sure he can put something together for you.

Forte?s Parts 347 Engine Package! (Bestseller) | Fortes Part's Connection

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands
First Start 05/23/2015

First GoCart 05/23/2015
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:27 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

You are doing fine. Everybody who ever built one of these things had exactly the same questions you do. The advice is always the same too. Some guys want 700 hp. Some don't. Your best bet is to talk to someone who knows what they are doing. You are lucky to be in Akron. Look up engine builders and go talk to several. Tell them what you are building and say you want a mild, reliable, street 302 and see what they say. (You can also tell them 700 hp. Bring your checkbook) Ask for the names (phone numbers) for customers with similar engines they have built. Call them. Look at the shop. Do they look busy? Is it clean? I mean really clean. The idea here is that you can learn an enormous amount without spending any money. You'll be in a much better position to identify the exactly the engine you want and the price you'll have to pay.

jcdat thanked this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

What engine?

Well, for what you say you want, I would get a small block 302 crate engine. As you mentioned Summit has them at reasonable prices. I built a 289 Hi-Po motor with dual quads and it has approx 320 Hp.

Here is a long block from Summit.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...24ct/overview/ and I think it would be much more than you would need. You could dress it up anyway you want. As someone mentioned get a 3:73 rear, I run a 3:55 and it runs great.

Here is a pic of my motor.

I hope this helps,

John O

Government is a disease...
...masquerading as its own cure…

FFR1293K-289 slab side "Mr Bruce" body, 289 hi-po, original Cobra dual quad with Carter 3258s and 3259s carbs, original AMCO luggage rack, Tremec TKO, 3-link 3.55 rear, spoked wire wheels, under car exhaust. A replica of CSX 2367.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:45 PM
FFCobra Craftsman

I'll 2nd the thought to call Forte. He does all sorts of stuff besides FFRs but he has a really good handle on what works w/ these cars. He can build you an engine or he can sell you one from Ford at a good price. He can also do the automatic I am sure. From what I understand, an AOD is what you want. It's an old school auto trans, old school enough to not need an ECU to control it, but just new school enough to have an overdrive top gear. there are several here w/ auto trans so i hope they will chime in w/ their experience.

FFR 5353K, 408W, TKO 500, 2015 IRS w/ 315 gear, Breeze QA1 DA coilovers front and rear, APE hardtop, Forte front swaybar
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgabrail View Post
So, before I was going to sell the MK4, but then someone on here suggested I hire the traveling builder, Mark. He is great. He came out a couple of weeks ago and got me started and will get me to the finish line. So we were talking motors and I told him that I'm more into this car for the look of it than for the engine size. So he recommended a 302. Someone from The Engine Factory quoted me and it seemed rather high of a price! I think it was $11k. With all the transmission and other things, it was around $16K. That seemed quite high. I live near Summit Racing so I went down there and they have a 302 for $3200.

So what am I missing? I want an automatic transmission and an engine that is enough to give it medium power. I am not trying to drive crazy. This car is for cruising around on weekends in nice weather. That's it. I am NOT a big engine kind of guy.

I know I sound ignorant on these matters...I am fine with that. But I am sure there are people out there on this forum who can appreciate that I don't need a big engine.
If you can come down to the London Cobra Show. Lots of cars to see and talk to owners as to what they have for engines. Personally I have a 347 and if I ever need to replace it I am going with a 427W.

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,

Last edited by Bobby Doug; 06-10-2019 at 07:27 AM. Reason: change text
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 AM
FFCars Craftsman

As others have stated, a 302 from Summit vs Engine Factory will not have the same internals and thus very different HP. A well built 302 or 306 with a TKO600 will run you a fair bit of money, my guess is $11-12k or around there. Mike Forte built me a 351w with TKO600 for just shy of $12k but that was 3 years ago so I would add another $1500-2000 on that these days. Maybe call him and tell him what you are looking for and he will build it to your specs which likely will be less dollars.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 01:47 PM

I went the local route and talked to several local builders in the area. It was good to get their input, see their shops, get different prices and talk to their customers just showing up at their shops. You can tell the good builders by the amount of work they have,what they work on, and finding out where in their schedules you can fit in. The shop I went with gave me the most flexibility, options, and a very fair price. I in turn needed to find a pre 1970 302 block in good shape for them to use. This is not an easy task as most blocks pre 1975 were sent overseas as scrap in the late 1980s.
Why a pre 1970 block? Ct DMV states for us fine outstanding overtax residence, that all pollution control devices that were on that year block must be there. My 1969 block($350) will require a PCV valve.
The motor came out great although I did have to wait an additional 2 months, but I was in the middle of the build anyways. Bored out to 331, balanced, nice cam, custom aluminum heads (10 to 1 compression), and many many extras for under 6k.
The best part about is if I have a question or a problem, I have a great relationship with a local shop to work with.

Mk4 complete kit, 331 Stroker, TKO600, Moser 3.55, Fitech 600
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:02 AM
mg2
FFCars Craftsman

Just got my car on the road with a bone stock mustang 302. With only 235 hp it is still fun to drive, it gets sideways in second and spins the tires in 3rd. I was planning on building it to a 331ci with 350 hp but a divorce got in the way. If just a street cruiser you don’t need 400 hp in my opinion
Real time recon thanked this.

Build pics

Donor: 87 LX Bought 8/12/2010,kit ordered 1-27-12 7685 Delivered 5/13/12 No more wife, happier life
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 AM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
Don't ask me, I just keep blowing them up!

New build will be another 331, love the lower power, but a less crazy cam, keep hp to about 400

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Craftsman

Brewha makes an extremely important point. Check the rules before you start. When I built in 2002, Illinois did not have engine requirements. All I needed was FFR's MCO to license it as a 1965. I started with a 1995 302 with roller lifters. Again, this is the kind of thing an engine builder will know and it can save you thousands of dollars and months of bureaucratic aggravation.

Last edited by wickershaw; 06-13-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2 View Post
Just got my car on the road with a bone stock mustang 302. With only 235 hp it is still fun to drive, it gets sideways in second and spins the tires in 3rd. I was planning on building it to a 331ci with 350 hp but a divorce got in the way. If just a street cruiser you don’t need 400 hp in my opinion
I feel the same. My 302 with heads and a cam feel like it is in the high 200s, low 300 hp range. Since my Cobra was set up for street driving, I really do not think that more HP would make much of a difference. I also really like the IRS. I live up a bumpy road and the IRS really helps the daily driving the car gets. Personally, I like the 300hp with the IRS. If I were on the track, then more power and the solid axle would make more sense.

I can also say that I would much rather have a 300+hp running and driving car than a 500+hp monster in the garage unfinished because of budget overages any day.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:52 PM
FFCobra Fanatic
FFCars Captain

Thumbs up

How about a Windsor based 5.0(302) with a mild built 347 for the street? Same price as a rebuilt 302 but way easier to drive on the street? 350ish rwhp and great tq and good mpg. Just saying--
Butch

PS
I have had "many" sbf combo's over the past 21yrs and my mild 347 was/is by far the best motor so far

This ain't no circus--and I don't need any clowns!

MKI #1437, EFI 347, Astro T-5, 3:55 8.8rr, and other upgrades--
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM

When comparing engine purchases, be sure and look closely at what is included - and what is NOT included. You'll get a sweet deal from Summit Racing. But then you may have to shell out for valve covers, front covers, balancers, water pump, starter, etc. Those things really add up fast.

And don't forget about bolts! You can't just go down to the local hardware store and buy everything you need.

.boB "Iron Man"
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
HPDE Instructor
FFR 3691K: Dart 427W, Momar 8 Stack EFI, 600'ish hp, TKO, 3.55 TruTrac, Red with Ghost Flames. Gone, but not forgotten.
BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 speed auto, Edelbrock Blower

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Today, 03:23 PM

I did a donor car engine and trans and put a carb on it and I think it has plenty of power and is reliable while not getting hot.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Today, 03:31 PM

I am looking forward to the day when these might be available as a crate engine.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...gas-v8-engine/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement