Fosters Build Thread - Page 2 - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 7Thanks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Questions & Answers

Over the many years that I've read build threads I've often wished for more regular updates on the builds I was following. I planned on knocking out regular updates when I started my build. The universe had other plans. :-)

Long story short, a leaky ice maker feed line lead to pulling up the floor, which led to discovering the prior owners had also had a leak and had opted to just cover up the damage. And the black mold. So, out came the subfloor, damaged cabinets, stove, fridge, and dishwasher. All of which led to damaging the gypcrete sub-subfloor. Couple of months later and I've got everything repaired and a new floor installed in the kitchen.

The build has languished a bit as a result, with the boys and I finally getting to the garage on Sunday after all of July off.

Which leads to one progress pic and one question. The question involves the long center mounting bolt for the clutch quadrant. It seems too long (see pic). It's a 2 inch bolt, but is listed in the manual as 1.25". It was in the bag with the clutch quadrant.

Should I source a 1.25" bolt and swap it out?

Progress this week included drilling and mounting the firewall and pedal box panels. Miles went through 4 drill bits. Nathaniel spent time grinding rust and paint off the rear end while we went out to buy more drill bits. The front suspension is complete, with the exception of one damaged hub cover which needs to be replaced. It got hammered into place a little too zealously. There's GE Silicone 2 oozing out all over the place that needs to be cleaned up. And the silver rivets on the F panels were replaced with black ones - they look better against the trunk bed liner sprayed there.

So, things continue to be messy and mistakes continue to be made, but the boys are learning quickly. Initial grumpiness about being in the garage always turns to smiles and pride when the day's progress results in Frankie looking even incrementally more like a car. This Sunday it was Nathaniel's turn to really not want to be there and he's the one who ended up climbing into the frame with a big smile when the pedal box went in. :-)

Foster

Attached Images
File Type: jpg August Progress - Copy.jpg (233.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Clutch quad 1 - Copy.jpg (222.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg clutch quad 2 - Copy.jpg (223.9 KB, 16 views)

#9592 MKIV Complete Kit
1990 302 Lincoln Mark VII donor
Tremec T5
8.8 Ford w/ 4.10 gears
Manual steering & brakes
Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

August Progress

We were back to work this weekend on the pedal box. We had rough fit it last weekend to ensure we had it assembled correctly. I did notice that I'd put the pedal switches mount plates on the wrong side of the pedal box frame. Then I noticed that both switches needed to be mounted as far onto those plates as possible so they didn't hit the mounting bracket.

With those small adjustments made, we put the pedal box back on the frame to mark the needed drill holes. I caught the problem early this time, realizing that the holes would be off by 1/4" or so if the pedal box wasn't tight against the footbox front panel. I tossed a few nuts on and sure enough the holes shifted down.

Miles did an excellent job drilling out the holes through the frame - a tricky bit of work given that it's on a slight downward angle.

With the pedal box mounted we started in on the steering. We already had the front rack in place, so we checked the distance between the two tie rods and adjusted them until we reached the recommended 53 1/16" distance.

When we went to torque the castle nuts down they didn't reach 25 ftlbs. They eventually were just spinning in place. Anyone have any insight on that?

We then assembled the steering rack. That went pretty easily, but I see now that the PDF version of the manual is different than the hard copy. That'll lead me to double-checking everything next time I'm in the garage. The biggest help would have been to not mount the flange bearing to the footbox wall first. That gave us a little trouble when it came to pushing the shaft through. All in all I think it took us 25 minutes to get it all together. At which point we had to assemble the steering wheel and toss that on there. Big smiles all around at that moment.

Foster

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 Aug Progress - Copy.jpg (106.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Aug Progress 4 - Copy.jpg (215.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Aug Progress2 - Copy.jpg (232.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 11 Aug Progress 3 - Copy.jpg (195.1 KB, 13 views)

#9592 MKIV Complete Kit
Tremec T5
8.8 Ford w/ 4.10 gears
Manual steering & brakes
Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:17 PM

I recommend you move the flange bearing to the inside of the foot box. This will make it much easier to fit the steering shaft onto the rack, which you will very much appreciate when you're trying to make the steering wheel level with the rack centered. You may have to grind the top of the flange so that it doesn't interfere with the bolt.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:16 PM

steering column

hopefully you didn't snug the wheel and adapter down too tight since you have to remove it for the dash. I was excited too to get the steering wheel on and ended up having to tap the adapter off with a plastic dead blow hammer.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
I recommend you move the flange bearing to the inside of the foot box. This will make it much easier to fit the steering shaft onto the rack, which you will very much appreciate when you're trying to make the steering wheel level with the rack centered. You may have to grind the top of the flange so that it doesn't interfere with the bolt.

John
The pictures don't show it, but the steering rack is completely assembled. We didn't have any issues getting anything to fit. We built it from the rack up to the wheel in pieces, as it all came disassembled. Maybe that aided in avoiding the fit problem? I'll take another look at the entire thing next time I'm in the garage.

That's one of the maddening things about building this with a garage 40 minutes away, I can't just step out to check something when a question or issue comes up.

Foster

#9592 MKIV Complete Kit
Tremec T5
8.8 Ford w/ 4.10 gears
Manual steering & brakes
Build Thread -
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egchewy View Post
hopefully you didn't snug the wheel and adapter down too tight since you have to remove it for the dash. I was excited too to get the steering wheel on and ended up having to tap the adapter off with a plastic dead blow hammer.
Thanks for the warning. I hand tightened the bolt and the cover is only loosely on as well.

I was going back through your build posts today because I thought I remembered someone advising not to install the cockpit panels until after the brake and fuel lines and the wires had been laid out. I came across the clutch quadrant post and that answered my question about where that center nut and bolt were - missing it seems. I think I used the clutch stop bolt instead. So, I'll pull that and get a replacement.

#9592 MKIV Complete Kit
Tremec T5
8.8 Ford w/ 4.10 gears
Manual steering & brakes
Build Thread -
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Junior Charter Member

Aug/Sep Update

It's been nearly a month since my last update. The boys were away for a chunk of August and then I was away to kick off September.

Progress has been made, but it's not really the exciting kind.

Foot boxes - we cleaned, primed, and painted all the foot box panels that would be facing the engine bay. It eats up a lot of time, but the end result is satisfying.

While Nathaniel was spraying and cleaning, Miles was trying to remove the last bits of the quad shock brackets from the rear end. It seemed like they would just come off with a chisel and some pounding, but after an hour of the teenager being too nervous to go full smash with a hammer near his hand (Dad's advice: the only way your going to learn to not hit your hand is to smash it good once or twice. That's how I learned. :-) ) and my full on smashing often interrupted by too much pain in my hand, not from immediate smashing mind you, but from 30 years of keyboard damage, I decided the project needed a power tool solution.

We will rent a cut off wheel from HD and go at it on Sunday. Then we can drain the fluids, paint it, and put the brakes back on.

We did a dry run on installing the rear end. Only one of the frame mounts needed a bit of spreading out and we got a good idea of where everything went. That also revealed that the traction lock brackets needed some filing down to fit better. It wouldn't snug up against the axle.

I also wondered about drilling the hole in the pumpkin flange. From a quick eyeballing, it looks like drilling will widen the current hole rather than creating a new one. The existing hole and the traction lock brace hole are nearly lined up. Is that going to be a problem?

I tore down my 302 another few steps as well. Oil pan and related components are off. Cylinders are all out. They are filthy but I don't see any physical damage. I don't see any damage on the cylinder walls, but I can't tell if they need just cleaning or a bit more. I've got to find a local engine shop to get the block cleaned as my next step. I've just got to pull the harmonic balancer, the cam, and the crank shaft and the block will be ready for cleaning and whatever other touch ups it needs.

Which brings me to a recent purchase off the classified section here. I hooked up with shady302 and got a complete MassFlo kit. I'm starting the research on that so I can figure out how to make it work with the proper fuel pickup and pump.

There it is. Things continue to get done, just not a lot of visible progress. I do feel like we are set up for a lot of things to come together pretty quickly in the near future.

Foster
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30 Aug Progress - Copy.jpg (235.3 KB, 7 views)

#9592 MKIV Complete Kit
Tremec T5
8.8 Ford w/ 4.10 gears
Manual steering & brakes
Build Thread -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement