carb to EFI - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 3Thanks
  • 1 Post By Chepsk8
  • 2 Post By donkeykong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

carb to EFI

wanting to convert carb to EFI on a 289 SBF.
finding FiTech and Holley sniper as popular options.
any pros/cons of each?
thanks in advance

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:36 AM
Charter Member

I did that. I had a Holley 4-bbl. But it wasn't well regulated. It started well when cold, but when it got hot, it just wouldn't start. This is with a 302.

Anyway, I finally decided that I could keep working with this thing, or I could put in fuel injection. I got the Holley Sniper. It works great, starts every time (whether hot or cold), and has made my life easier.

Just my $0.02.

--Podus
Kit ordered 12/30/2002. Delivered on 3/24/03. Carbed 302 and T5 for now. IRS, dual roll bars. Painted and retreived from SRP on 10/12/2007. Still a little left to do, but almost there!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:22 PM
Buck

Garage
I have the 302 and converted from the Holly 600 to the FiTech. Very happy. Starts every time hot or cold and runs great.

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:42 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
2 1/2 years in my FiTech, no issues, great drivability and manners. Sea level to the mountains, it’s just goes.

John

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 03:52 PM

I suspect you'll find most Fitech users are satisfied with their system. Same for the Holley users, with one exception. A gentleman on the other forum complained about possible RF interference with the Holley, and couldn't get the Holley to run smoothly (https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...h-by-wallace18). He ended up swapping the Holley for the Fitech & was able to make it work.

Truth in advertising: I have no experience with Fitech; I have the Holley Terminator system & love it.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 PM
FFCobra Craftsman
FFCars Major

Garage
Do a search, lots of posts.

I did BIG write-up on this exact conversion with the FITECH.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...ervations.html

Lots of info there
egchewy thanked this.

FFR5148K MkII Roadster, 331 CI 430 HP w/ FITECH Fuel Injection, 3-link, disc brakes, SN95 Cobra Front brakes, FR500 17" Wheels. Electric steering from Saturn VUE. QA1 Double Adjust shocks on all corners. Still mostly Gel-Coat Grey! Now with roll cage and more track stuff, wrecked, beaten, blown-up, man-handled, cut up, butchered, Freaky body mods, sat on by HOOTERS girls, still barely street legal.

Last edited by Chepsk8; 05-22-2019 at 04:35 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:05 PM

FITECH user here. I’ve heard great things about the holley system, but have no experience - like others have said, I don’t think you can go wrong with either. My main advice would be, when you make the leap, do it correctly with all of the propper support pieces from the start. I followed that advice from this forum (and several non cobra related forums) and couldnt be happier with my system. I went with an intank pump and ran a new return line, ensured the battery wiring was getting full power the the computer, and followed the wiring recommendations to mitigate interference between ignition components. It added cost and time to the schedule, but it’s done and works and I get to play with the tuning without annoying inconsistencies getting in my way.

MK IV # 8639 Delivered June 2015 - SBF 347 w/450hp, FITECH 30002, Levy SA T5, 3 Link w/ 3.55's, cobra discs, manual brakes/steering
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egchewy View Post
wanting to convert carb to EFI on a 289 SBF.
finding FiTech and Holley sniper as popular options.
any pros/cons of each?
thanks in advance
I wrote a review almost two years ago on the Holley Sniper...

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...fi-review.html

It's been the same flawless set-up since then, I haven't experienced a single issue. I've also installed the Sniper on two other vehicles with the same results! In total, over the past 2 years, 3 Sniper units, 3 different vehicles...ZERO issues, all worked perfectly from the first turn of the key.

I truly don't know why people go the FiTech route when Holley has the history, name and reputation in the car hobby world. Maybe they work wonderfully, I don't know. I do know the Holley does, and I do know the Holley has worked wonderfully repeatedly for me.
Mark Reynolds and egchewy thanked this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 AM

I’m a Fitech user. It took me less then an hour to set it up, and it fired up the first time. I love that it always starts (even from outside the car when I’m working on it) and that it required almost no adjustments, although I made several small ones to aid in the systems learning.

Holley is a great system too, although the RF interference issue with a oval air filter that I read about in other forums, sounds like there maybe a wire insulation issue.

While deciding on which product meets your requirements, make sure you understand your fuel delivery system and distributor electronics systems. Fuel delivery includes fuel pump, fuel lines, and whether a return line will be used. Distributor system decisions can be more complicated depending on what you have already installed and whether you want the FI system to control the timing or not.

You can’t go wrong with either system. Both will deliver a more dependable and more fuel efficient engine in my opinion.

Mk4 complete kit, 331 Stroker, TKO600, Moser 3.55, Fitech 600
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

EFI set up

thanks for all the opinions.
seems like both holley and fitech have very loyal customers.

I'm trying to figure things out in terms of my set up.
It appears the fuel command center for the fitech set up is meant for carburated, low pressure systems, correct? So if I'm setting this up brand new, I can get a high pressure fuel pump for EFI (>60psi) and it should be fine, right?
so from the tank, it would be an in tank or in line high pressure fuel pump, filter, lines to engine/efi, then return line to tank, correct?

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 PM
Buck

Garage
I think I would steer clear of the Fitech fuel command center unit. I read of too many issues. You will need a high pressure pump and lines either an inline unit or the Fitech Intank unit. I had planned on replacing the fuel tank from Dave's Welding so I went with the Fitech Intank pump, both very nice units. A nice thing about the Fitech Intank pump is it requires no return line and can be controlled by the throttle body.
Buck

302 bored 0.030, AOD by Monster, RPM Air Gap, FITech EFI, 8.8 with 3.73 gear, 17' Foose Nitrous 5 spoke wheels, and Nexen N3000 tires
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:22 AM

You are correct about the setup and not needing the command center. Some suggestions.....
I believe the fuel lines that come with the kit are 5/16 feed and 1/4 return. If you haven’t run the lines yet I would change the feed line to 3/8 feed and 5/16 return. That gives you options for the future in case you need to change larger motors and 3/8 also fits well with 6an fittings. For using flex hose from the lines make sure it’s PTFE lined with correct fittings.
For fuel pumps you don’t need to get too big. I’m running a walbro type 190 LPH on 331 @ roughly 390 hp . Anything larger would be too big for a 289.
Good luck.

Mk4 complete kit, 331 Stroker, TKO600, Moser 3.55, Fitech 600
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

in tank pump

perhaps a total noobie question, but is there a direct replacement kit for an in-tank pump that doesn't require drilling a new/larger hole into the fuel tank?
i found a fuel pump bracket, but would need to buy a pump separately.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9407B/1987-...l-Pump-Bracket

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
perhaps a total noobie question, but is there a direct replacement kit for an in-tank pump that doesn't require drilling a new/larger hole into the fuel tank?
i found a fuel pump bracket, but would need to buy a pump separately.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9407B/1987-...l-Pump-Bracket
Forte sells the pump/bracket assembly; give him a call, tell him what engine & fuel setup, & let him match the pump to your needs.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Master Builder wanna-be

EFI-Intank pump

I went with the Holley sniper. I originally had the old Powerjection III which I could never get to work right. I think the Fitech is from the same guys, so I stayed away from it. THey may have cleaned up the component, but I went with Holley due to their support. Bought mine from EFI-System pro ,
www.efisystempro.com
, Chris Myers is a great guy and offers personal service if you have problems, in addition to the Holley support.

You can get a great drop in pump from Breeze in various capacities to suit your engine. Mark also gives great support.

Glen

FFR 6425, FMS 302/340HP-Powerjection III with Air Gap, TKO-600, 0.64 OD, 3-link, 3:55, 17inch Nitto 555, Kirkey Hi-backs, lot of self fabricated mods.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 01:31 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
2 1/2 years and several thousand on my FiTech, no problems. It replaced a power jection unit that failed. IÂ’ve had no issues other than making some minor adjustments to the tune. Much improved drivability over the old unit. The sniper wasnÂ’t out when I purchased the FiTech so I canÂ’t speak to that. For comparison IÂ’m running an X302 Ford crate motor, e cam and rpm performer intake.

FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Completion Date 11/13/10, Delivered 12/8/10, Drivetrain in 8/21/11, Graduated 6/10/13
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

intank pump

planning on ordering a 190LPH in tank pump from Forte. Any issues with the the bottom filter on the pump fitting in the sump inside the tank?

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
planning on ordering a 190LPH in tank pump from Forte. Any issues with the the bottom filter on the pump fitting in the sump inside the tank?
Nope. Just make sure the little sock filter is firmly attached to the bottom of the hanger (you'll feel it "click" into place). Then you'll have to do some fiddling to get the assembly into place. I had to slide the sock filter into the opening so that the long part was to the rear of the tank, smoosh the short side fingers into the tank opening, then keep all but ~1" of the hanger above the tank so that I could rotate the sock filter so that the long part was to the front, and then slide the hanger down into the sump. It's harder to describe than to do it.

Also, with an empty tank, if you accidentally pop the sock filter off the hanger, you can just flip the empty tank upside down & let the filter drop out.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
Nope. Just make sure the little sock filter is firmly attached to the bottom of the hanger (you'll feel it "click" into place). Then you'll have to do some fiddling to get the assembly into place. I had to slide the sock filter into the opening so that the long part was to the rear of the tank, smoosh the short side fingers into the tank opening, then keep all but ~1" of the hanger above the tank so that I could rotate the sock filter so that the long part was to the front, and then slide the hanger down into the sump. It's harder to describe than to do it.

Also, with an empty tank, if you accidentally pop the sock filter off the hanger, you can just flip the empty tank upside down & let the filter drop out.

John
Cool. Thanks. I didn't know if the sock would all fit into the sump space.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement