bulkhead adapter from MC to reservoirs - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 4Thanks
  • 1 Post By edwardb
  • 1 Post By grluisi150
  • 1 Post By Avalanche325
  • 1 Post By Avalanche325

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

bulkhead adapter from MC to reservoirs

Looking for ideas to run brake fluid from reservoir to MCs.
I have CNC reservoirs, and the output fitting appears to be 1/4".
The only problem is that the nipple on the master cylinder appears to be smaller, guessing 1/8".
I'm looking for a bulkhead adapter to install through the front footbox wall that will reduce the size of the tubing used, and can't seem to find one.
Who else has run into this issue and any other options? I was thinking I could do a 1/4" barb bulkhead adapter on both ends and then have an inline conversion to 1/8" once inside the pedalbox area.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:50 AM

Garage
Following. Iím in the same boat.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
Following. I’m in the same boat.
Seeing some pictures out there that shows brake lines going through hole for the wiring harness. Haven't tried it myself yet but looks like it might all fit. Maybe getting an inline adapter changing the 1/4 to 1/8" line once inside pedal box?

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 AM
FFCars Captain

Keep it simple and just run the hoses through the footbox. You need the one hole for the wiring harness. If running a hydraulic clutch, you can use the clutch cable hole. Otherwise, you'll need to drill new ones but no big deal. Just use an adapter on the bottom of the CNC reservoir 1/8 NPT threads that matches the inlet size on the MC's. There are many different ones available. For #8674, I used these from Speedway. Being 90 degrees, makes it even cleaner. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrom...Query=91611051
chrisarella thanked this.

Build 1: Mk3 #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017.

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017.

Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 crate Coyote. Delivered 12/2/2017.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Garage
I used the FFR provided hoses and also running a hydraulic clutch.
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 037 reduced.jpg (151.5 KB, 17 views)

#8737 Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

The M/Cs are different from when I built, but the idea is the same. I did a whatever it is to 4AN at the M/C. 4AN hose and hose ends, and then 4AN to 1/8" NPT at the reservoir. Hoses go through the firewall each with a tight fitting grommet. You don't really need bulkhead fittings in this case. More fittings and adaptors means more possible leak points.

I just spent $30 on one fitting (with shipping) to not have to put adapters in for my new hydraulic clutch setup. Sometimes you hit some combination and it is hard to find the right adapter. This one was 3/8 tubing (5/8-18 male thread) inverted flare to AN4. I could easily find one size up or down on either side.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO

Last edited by Avalanche325; 05-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
The M/Cs are different from when I built, but the idea is the same. I did a whatever it is to 4AN at the M/C. 4AN hose and hose ends, and then 4AN to 1/8" NPT at the reservoir. Hoses go through the firewall each with a tight fitting grommet. You don't really need bulkhead fittings in this case. More fittings and adaptors means more possible leak points.

I just spent $30 on one fitting (with shipping) to not have to put adapters in for my new hydraulic clutch setup.

Your master cylinders have a -4AN fitting on them? Sweet. Mine just have hose barbs.

Chris

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Junior Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
Your master cylinders have a -4AN fitting on them? Sweet. Mine just have hose barbs.
I had to put AN4 on them. I replaced the barb banjo with a -4AN fitting.

MKIV Roadster....FFR7694
3-link Moser, Wilwood brakes, 347, TKO
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

OK.
i feel like an idiot.
i looked at the brake hose provided by wilwood and it's 1/4"ID tubing.
the barb on the MC has a 1/8" ID and the fitting on the CNC is a 1/8NPT to 1/4" barb fitting.
I was thinking I would need to reduce the size of the output barb from the CNC, but ends up the 1/4" ID tubing works without any conversions.
Despite the obvious difference in sizes of the CNC output barb and the Wilwood MC input barb, I guess they both use the same ID size tube.
please correct me if I'm wrong.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
Tremec T5Z
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement