upholstering rear bulkhead question - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum
 2Thanks
  • 1 Post By phileas_fogg
  • 1 Post By donkeykong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 AM Thread Starter

upholstering rear bulkhead question

As I'm redoing the carpeting in my car I decided to do the rear bulkhead behind the seats in leather. Has anybody accomplished this in one piece? It's looking super nice right to the beginning of the transmission tunnel...now I'm stuck! I can't make the curves down to the floor, so I'm thinking there's maybe a trick to this OR it's not going to happen and I need a seam somewhere. If a seam is the million dollar answer...Where is the best spot to put it?

Appreciate the help guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 AM

Google Tennessee Tim, he did a leather or vinyl bulkhead. His build may give you some ideas. His website detailed his build.

Doug
FFR7995
MK IV
Prestige Motorsports 347 SBF, Moser 8.8 (3.31), 3 link, TKO 600,hydraulic clutch, PS, Heat/AC, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555s,
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:00 AM
FFCars Craftsman

I did it on my MK 3 and it was a pain. I had to enlist the help of my wife and we spent half a day attempting to get the diamond stitched leather to match up and fit around the curves. We used a 3M adhesive to attach the leather to the aluminum and cut out sections of the leather to reduce bunching due to bends in the aluminum. In retrospect, if doing it again, I would take it to an upholstery shop and have the experts fiddle with it for hours. What a PIA.

Build School 10/08
MK3 Kit Ordered 08/05/08 ; Delivered 09/26/08
First Start 10/05/10 ; First Drive 08/31/11, License Plates 10/05/11
Picked up from the Batcave 10/19/13

Levy Stage 4 (347) & Levy T5 /Mass-flo EFI / Wilwood Brakes / Paint by J. Miller (Lexus Indigo Ink) / Custom hood louvers with aluminum plating by Metal-Morphous / Engine turned dash bezels.

"You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." -- Henry Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
Google Tennessee Tim, he did a leather or vinyl bulkhead. His build may give you some ideas. His website detailed his build.
From the build threads I bookmarked: 14 Jan 13 update: Home and Post #82: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-thread-2.html

Cheers,

John
WIS89 thanked this.

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
Thanks for the info, it was half leather/vinyl half carpet. There was a good picture of where he made his seam, so that was at least helpful to reinforce how I had it visualized.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yrproject View Post
I did it on my MK 3 and it was a pain. I had to enlist the help of my wife and we spent half a day attempting to get the diamond stitched leather to match up and fit around the curves. We used a 3M adhesive to attach the leather to the aluminum and cut out sections of the leather to reduce bunching due to bends in the aluminum. In retrospect, if doing it again, I would take it to an upholstery shop and have the experts fiddle with it for hours. What a PIA.
That's the problem, the bunching! I think if I made a seam I should be able to get the second half without an issue...I hope.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Senior Charter Member

Around the transmission tunnel will need some creativity. Use paper and play around with different cutting and wrapping.

Throw the seats in and look at what’s visible, a lot of sin disappears behind the seats if they are like mine and jammed tight to the bulkhead.

"Sorry, but my personality rubs people like a wire brush to the crotch."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
From the build threads I bookmarked: 14 Jan 13 update: Home and Post #82: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...-thread-2.html

Cheers,

John
I came across the thread last night, However, thank you so much for taking the time to look that up and link it here for me...I do appreciate that.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by narve00 View Post

Throw the seats in and look at what’s visible, a lot of sin disappears behind the seats if they are like mine and jammed tight to the bulkhead.
YES!!! That's my saving grace at this point.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM

No worries mate; just glad to help.

John

MK IV Roadster #8631
Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:56 PM

looking at Tim's build, do you guys believe he got the diamond stitching pattern just by using spray adhesive and pushing the leather into the recesses he cut out in the foam? Looks stitched from far away.

#9503 MK4 complete kit
1966 289 SBF HiPo bored 30 over
Tremec T5Z
8.8" Moser rear end w/ 3.55 gear ratio
manual steering
RT drop trunk
Breeze front battery box
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egchewy View Post
looking at Tim's build, do you guys believe he got the diamond stitching pattern just by using spray adhesive and pushing the leather into the recesses he cut out in the foam? Looks stitched from far away.
I would say no. I have diamond patterns in my trans tunnel and seats...there's no way adhesive would hold for the long run in that many creases.
egchewy thanked this.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:09 PM

My rule of thumb is to have leather where you touch and vinyl everywhere else. Besides the cost difference, the modern vinyls look and almost feel like leather. The big deal is that vinyl comes in large sheets that are much easier to work with and the maintenance of vinyl is almost none. I have to treat leather at lease yearly to keep it up. I would not like to remove the seats to treat leather back there. YMMY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement