4Thanks
  • 1 Post By jolsen42
  • 1 Post By SJDave
  • 1 Post By SveltGt
  • 1 Post By Mustang Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Smeding performance

Any one have any experience this company and its products?

https://www.smedingperformance.com/f...orsepower.html

Was looking at crate engines and the torque band on this is very impressive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member
FFCars Master Craftsman

Well I've never had any dealings with them, but I remember some of the guys over at Club Cobra had nothing but good things to say about them. They've been around for quite awhile also.

John O

jrohrig thanked this.

Government is a disease...
...masquerading as its own cure…

FFR1293K-289 slab side "Mr Bruce" body, 289 hi-po, original Cobra dual quad with Carter 3258s and 3259s carbs, original AMCO luggage rack, Tremec TKO, 3-link 3.55 rear, spoked wire wheels, under car exhaust. A replica of CSX 2367.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:18 PM
FFCars Major

Street Rodder has used their motors in some of their Road Tour rides. Seem to be a pretty decent outfit.

I'd have finished a long time ago if I knew they were this fun!

FFR 4888: Street Cobra: No Scoop, No Pipes, No Rollbar.

302, TW heads, E-cam, Edlebrock intake and carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 PM

No first hand knowledge but never heard anything bad.

Looks like a nice street build, great torque curve. Would be easy to drive, probably quite civilized and yet it'll lite 'em up w/o working hard.

Jim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:51 AM

These guys used to be out of Sacramento, CA. A lot of local guys here used them with no complaints. If they didnt move to Texas I would have bought my engine from them to keep it local.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 AM

Garage
aluminum 427

I have one of the aluminum small block 427s with the 8 Stack Fuel Injection on it, only have 1200 miles on it now, but I'm impressed with the quality of the build:

1) Absolutely NO LEAKS
2) All fittings and tie downs are high quality and well done
3) Runs beautifully at low rpm and high rpm. No stumbling, surging. Only issue was some exhaust popping on deceleration. Turned out when the collector for the A/F sensor was welded to the shortened headers, some gaps in the weld caused air to affect the sensor readings. So it auto corrected and ran very rich to compensate. Once I fixed the air leak, everything good.
4) Makes alot of power with no fuss. This engine Dyno'd at 619 HP and 610 FT LBS of torque, with a red-line of 6500 rpm. Max torque occurs around 5200, so there is really no need to rev it high anyway.
It's in a car I bought from another builder in the Bay area about 80% complete, he had put 3.73 gears in the differential. Well 1st and 2nd gear were basically unusable with this engine, I would just start in 3rd gear. First time I was on the freeway, I went to pass some folks at 70 in 3rd gear, at half throttle it spun the rear tires. So I swapped gears to 2.73s, now all gears are useable (with Toyo R888 tires). First pulls to 63mph, kind of like the new Z06 Corvettes. Yeah you can still fry the tires in first gear, but if you roll into the throttle it will hook up and not spin from 30mph on up.
5) It is pricey, this engine was $18,500 with the stack system, fuel delivery and March pulley system.

Very, very impressed.

** I have this car up for sale in the classifieds if you know someone who might be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190415_141029.jpg (260.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0039_compressed.jpg (200.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Overall_compressed.jpg (231.0 KB, 18 views)
jrohrig thanked this.

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:15 PM
FFCars Craftsman

Garage
Great "cold air intake"! Nice looking vehicle!
SJDave thanked this.

2006 Stock Challenge Car. I'm removing parts, not adding them!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 PM
Blue Oval Scribe
FFCars Major

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Mustang Man
We used one of Ben's 427 Cobra Specials in our build back in 2006. It's been flawless with no complaints. Great hardware in their crate engines and the attention to detail is there as well. They really know how to screw an engine together!

HTH!
Mark
jrohrig thanked this.

FFR5310RD
Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

2006: 2/14 Delivery by Stewart Transport, 8/15 becomes a roller, 8/26 drivetrain installed, 10/15 first engine start, 12/23 wiring completed, 12/31 body test fit

2007: 2/25 first go-cart, 4/15 leaves for paint, 8/24 paint prep begins, 12/10 paint work completed

2008: 1/7 home from paint, 2/1 titled, tagged, and insured, 3/15 interior complete, 6/2 alignment, 6/4 Graduation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement