3Thanks
  • 1 Post By CRZN 427
  • 1 Post By sdonnel
  • 1 Post By EZ$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Time to repaint the wheels

Decided to paint the wheels Wimbleton White to match the stripes, but wanted a little sparkle, so I shot some Clear loaded with Silver flake over the white. I was surprised how the warm white basically went away with the overcoat. But it is interesting, can't really categorize it. Painted the Spinner recess Carmine Red to match the body color. Here's before and after, what do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (242.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (271.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg wheel closeup corrected.jpg (214.7 KB, 32 views)

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
" At 60 there is no time left to delay your Dreams "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Charter Member

I Think...

...it looks very nice.

Regards Rick.

SJDave thanked this.

Driving a car like this is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

"Too Much Is Just Right" $helby
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 PM

I think your results look fantastic. Car color is equally as nice. Care to share colors?

Scott
SJDave thanked this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
car colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdonnel View Post
I think your results look fantastic. Car color is equally as nice. Care to share colors?

Scott
Thx Scott!

-Body is Carmine Red (Dupont 43019) ; solid color no metallic. Very similar to BMW Imola Red
- Stripes are Ford Wimbleton White; solid color no metallic

Why this Red....I bought my first new car in 1975, a VW Scirocco in Homer Simpson Lemon Lime metallic. Really loud color, but I loved it and the plaid seats! About a month later my neighbor at the apartment complex bought a Triumph TR6 in Carmine Red, Tan leather, redline tires, and he parked next to me all the time. After a month, of admiring the TR6, I admitted I had bought a clown car!! I vowed someday to have a Carmine Red car. If you watch PBS mystery shows, alot of the classic British cars are painted this color also. Bunty on Father Brown has an older MG, I think, in this color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trimph TR6 Burgundy.jpg (79.7 KB, 12 views)

3.1 IRS Complete Kit #6616, June 08 delivery; 347 stroker; TKO 500 Mid Shift; SAI & Bumpsteer Mods; Manual Rack;
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM
EZ$
FFCars Craftsman

Dave, I think it looks great! Very subtle. The white blends with the silver outside portion of the rim really well. And I like the accents.
SJDave thanked this.

Rick

MK4 w/ Mr. Bruce FIA body, Levy 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Garage
Looks great. Where did you get that Cobra emblem on the spinners?

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coyote 5.0, T56, IRS, Torsen Diff, PS, Wilwoods, Hydraboost PB + ABS, & tons more extras.
Arrived 12/18/2011. More info, full parts list, financials, and progress-tracking on my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
spinner decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
I got them at Finishline in 2014, I just checked their website and they don't seem to have the smaller diameter decals anymore. They have a 3" aluminum decal like this but not the smaller ones I used, I think they were roughly 1.5" diameter.

I cut a 2mm recess into the spinner face on my lathe so the decals sit sub surface, no problem in 5 years with coming loose.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
FFCars Lieutenant Colonel

Brilliant - was that a wet paint or powder-coat?

How do you plan to care for them, polish them, etc.?

_
_

Early MK3 complete not without the loving help of Paul Mastroianni a.k.a. Cannonball Cobra...5-15-10 ..R.I.P....

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisarella View Post
CoBranda has a 1 inch die cast emblem, the same as a hood/trunk emblem, but smaller....But it is pricy for what you get.

Mini 'Cobra' Emblem

FFR 3319. On the road since 2002 with a lot of updates
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
wheel paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
Brilliant - was that a wet paint or powder-coat?

How do you plan to care for them, polish them, etc.?
Wet paint from Dupli-Color...Acrylic Lacquer.

The polished lip came that way from Team III with no coating applied, I use some Mothers aluminum polish twice a year to shine them up and a good carnauba wax coating.

On the centers, I use spray carnuba from FAST WAX....seems to protect fairly well, but yeah an Epoxy clear would be ideal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement